Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

weddings; and other inter-character relationships

do you like the proposed setup below?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. do you like the proposed setup below?

• yes, sounds good as it is
    • yes, but it needs work/adjustment
    • neutral
    • no, I don't like this way
    • no, I don't want there to be marriage stuff in-game

first off, yes, I know what Roja has said about marriage and such. for those not familiar, I'll repeat (my understanding of) it:

as marriage is a player-based issue, it should be the players doing it

so we won't have NPCs performaing ceremonies, etc. that's okay, my idea doesn't conflict with this.

we'd have a map including a chapel, where people can go to get married.

there will be a restriction so only a few people can get on the stage (the players acting and priest and couple, whatever), and the audience area would be under a general mute

anyone who has been to a meeting, etc, will know why. there's always people who refuse to shut up.

there could also be an NPC there who can organise for a #Message to be sent before the wedding, and keep track of who wants to book the chapel for when(and there'd be rather strict rules about the #Message part).

this NPC could also be able to turn the audience mute on/off for the people on stage

the map would be set up as a chappel, possibly being another room coming from the temple of aluwen (new one, not the old one most people know). aluwen is the most commonly called upon god for marriage blessings, afterall.

we could optionally have an NPC that keeps a registry of marriages. but all this NPC does is saves the names, and can look them up on demand. doesn't officiate or anything

a further option is for people to build RP(roleplay) families, and this registrar NPC could record these details as well

the critical point to remember is that the game would be providing the tools for players to do these things themselves. that was Rojas' arguement, and I quite agree with it.

originally i was going to say that there should be no benefit to the gameplay to being married, though since then a few ideas have come to me. nothing that should make people want to get married for the bonuses however (though people usually bring wedding gifts now, so there are some advantages already)

opinions, suggestions, and refinements? (though if it's just that you like the idea, just vote.)

And this would fall into a very low priority for coding unless someone paid Roja to have the feature added.

Unless there is in game effects, I don't think anything needs to be added. Another characters could perform the service, gifts, and the like, and an announcement in the Forum would do?

In game effects -- well, they could share one storage, which would make divorce messy (so realistic then...).

...actually, the idea of married characters sharing one storage space is growning on me. They could form an efficent husband and wife team in the manu field. And untangling the mess if they ever split would be real roleplaying :hehe:

Though this could be open to abuse -- the characters would have to be proven to be seperate players. This would be one case where they could share IP, be RL couple for instance, and be allowed to trade with on another.

To prevent somebody creating two characters to take advantage... maybe a minimum OA level? Both characters must be within 10 OA of eachother? Getting complicated now...

Edited by trollson

Heh this idea has already been proposed to the dev's and Roja, almost identical...as Learner said, if it was considered, it would be a very low priority...and that "if" is very iffy at best. It got a huge resounding silence after the initial no :hehe:

Heh this idea has already been proposed to the dev's and Roja, almost identical...as Learner said, if it was considered, it would be a very low priority...and that "if" is very iffy at best.  It got a huge resounding silence after the initial no :hehe:

186109[/snapback]

in the time i've been around, the demand for roleplaying has seemed to go up, and this is one of the areas where roleplay can be added

I don't know how long it would take to make an appropriate map, but the coding wouldn't be that large a task(1), compared to some of the quests and such that get added(which also give the game something besides just levelling)

I know there are things with a higher priority than roleplay tools, but that shouldn't mean we ignore it until later

1) and some of it can be reused later, like keeping lists that an NPC can search through, or using the 'area mute' as a mod power for any other meetings, etc

I'm not arguing against you, I was the one who suggested it twice to Roja and the devs :( (as I said, almost identical, other than I didn't have the mute feature and I added an npc to rent wedding dresses and buy rings and the like).

For whatever reason, the idea isn't liked. *shrugs*

Ahhh found it, this is what I had proposed:

Ok, I know Roja has said "No weddings ever in EL!"

But it might be worth rethinking, what an incredible money sink!

--Portland Town Hall could have an npc "official" who can charge an exhorbitant fee to perform a marriage.

Maybe (no idea if this is possible) he could say something brief in local chat?

When the correct options are clicked by both parties and correct amount of gc is in their inventory (they equally split up the cost of wedding? ), their names go on a register and they each receive a wedding scroll and a gold ring.

--Have for rent a wedding dress/veil for the bride and an equivilent theme wedding outfit for the groom. Also outrageously priced of course.

--Maybe have a divorce option too on that npc...(huge lawyer fee also :D )

well, formal wear would work well, just a case of making meshes (for dress, veil, and possibly hat) and textures. not that large a task, as i understand it.

having the NPC officiate, I think, was Rojas' problem, it should be the players doing all the roles. And I think some of the players have done superb jobs at this before.

The NPC was to be another money sink and a way to get the players to do it on their own instead of pestering mods and others to be an officiate. Yes some players have played this role but they aren't always available and others aren't comfortable with that sort of thing. Somewhere else I posted that it could even keep a registry in his dialogue options. A wedding still requires a lot of roleplaying and participants, I don't think having an "always ready and able and willing" npc officiate would hamper that.