Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanyel

Rules translation

During last two weeks there were some problems with players from other than English-language coutries (in two cases they were from Poland). They caused problems not because they wanted to, but because they didn't know rules and, what is even more important, they couldn't read them, since they do not speak English at all.

Here is one example of that:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...=0entry175958

I volunteered to translate the rules into Polish, but I'm not sure what exactly is required. It would be great if you explain me:

1. What format is needed;

2. Which rules exactly you want to be translated (under F5 button, those posted on forum, or both).

If I get those answers I promise to do my best and make translation as soon as I will be back from my holidays (that is after 11th of July).

With regards

vanyel

Cool, translators are always welcome. :blink: I'm not sure if someone is already working for this though, CK will know more.

Look for languages/en/rules.xml in your EL data directory. The XML constraints are relatively self-explanatory. In addition, you have to care for line wrapping for yourself, and you should use single newline characters for line endings (Please look for the dos2unix tool for explanation and how-to).

Use the game rules posted on the forums - the ones shipped with EL are out of date. :)

Translate the rules and send them to me.

I've decided to translate what i can into Polish. You might call it localisation of EL (PL)

I already started translations, but uve decided not to post it untill i have first (dev) version of it ready.

(i'll post it as separate topic)

~mr00wka (SV)

Edited by mr00wka

Here is link to first version of rules.

http://svguild.dyndns.org/maps/vanyel/other/rules.xml

It would be great if you test it (there are some problems with working it on different OS - for me it works for Linux seems not to work for some reason). I'm waiting for all comments and suggestions.

vanyel

<edit>

I corrected all errors/typos i found.

The problem seems to appear when rule is too long, i mean, when it's longer than message window allows (I hope somone understood it - it's really late here).

I don't know XML format at all, so maybe some of you, will be able to cope with it - I gave up.

Edited by vanyel

Thanks Van for help :D

I think i managed to work it out imho its not xml problem but it seems that its windows line encoding problem... ill work on it and hopefully today there will be polish set of rules without any problems working on Linux and Windows too.

PS: anyone that would like to test my proggress in work on Polish i18n of EL please PM me id gladly see your comments on it.

edit--> rules wont be ready today for there are some problems with length of rules descriptions... sorry for the delay.

Edited by mr00wka

Ok, there are full list of rules now under link i posted above. All rules fit into window now, but...

I had to split rule no. 3 into 3 parts:

• 3. Respect Others
    3b. More About Respect
    3c. Do Not Take Advance Over New Players

That way there is no loss in information (low entrophy:P).

Rules 3b and 3c are made with <info></info>. That way the numeration of all rules is same as in original (thanks to Roja, who remembered me about that requirement). Now it works ok.

vanyel

Edited by vanyel

There are length restrictions on lines and rules, but unfortunately I don't know them. I think it's best to check the original files to find out. Try to be concise :confused:

There are length restrictions on lines and rules, but unfortunately I don't know them. I think it's best to check the original files to find out. Try to be concise :P

179896[/snapback]

Concise you say? Hmmm... what about that one:

3. Respect Others.

You must respect the rights of others and their rights to enjoy this game.

In order to show proper respect, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, insult, name call, or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other members, moderators, volunteers, or developers.

Do not advocate, start or participate in any discussions that are racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-gay or other hatemongering philosophies, or anything that is sexually explicit in public. Do not organize nor be a part of any guilds or groups within Eternal Lands or their forums that do so.

Do not patronize, mislead, or take advantage of people as they become acquainted with the environment and make beginner's mistakes.

Heh? It's impossible to write it in more concise way :confused: That's why it's splitted into three parts, like in quotation. Nothing could help here. And well, it works, so...

vanyel

So you are updating the rules, I though you were traslating them. My mistake, sorry. Yes, splitting them is probably an option then. Try to get the Gods' blessing before you commit it though.

So you are updating the rules, I though you were traslating them. My mistake, sorry. Yes, splitting them is probably an option then. Try to get the Gods' blessing before you commit it though.

179915[/snapback]

I hope I have it. Btw, could any of the gurus look at rule list as it is now?

http://svguild.dyndns.org/maps/vanyel/other/rules.xml

And say if that is ok or not? (I don't want you to check translation, but format). All rule numbers are as in original, any comments are added in <info> type field.

I'm waiting for your opinion.

vanyel

(I don't want you to check translation, but format).

I don't know format, but looked at the translation :>

There is a lot of typos like "noe" instead of "nie" etc.

And I have a question. Is it possible to use national characters?

Regards

Chryzopraz

PS.

I'm going back home next week and then I'll be able to correct found typos if you want vanyel.

But maybe it'll be possible to use national characters so why do the same twice.

You can only use the characters that are in font.bmp

PS.

I'm going back home next week and then I'll be able to correct found typos if you want vanyel.

But maybe it'll be possible to use national characters so why do the same twice.

180069[/snapback]

I will correct them soon, but if you would find way to implement polish chars it would be great. Thank you for info about typos - it's really hard to find :omg: them if you write them first. :P

vanyel

Just name the chars you want to be added and their position in the ANSI character set. If they aren't in, unfortunately there is no way to add them yet.

181381[/snapback]

It's so sad, poor the Poles, will have to live without Polish chars:((( Bad French took all numbers (j/k :D ). There isn't even one of our chars :o

Edit:

Not only French probably, but... well, we will have to read that without our nice and very good looking comas over and under letters :P

<Edit 2>

Btw, the full list of new rules (not in xml file) is here

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16476

In the last post.

Edited by vanyel

And I have a question. Is it possible to use national characters?

though our diacritical chars exist in utf-8 encoding there are some trouble in displaying them in EL i dont know why though so i decided to use their equivalents (lets say...)

I don't think they are really needed for chat. It would be just easier to read anything - especially rules, helps and encyclopedia with all our chars. Sometime lack of one small come over/under letter change sense of whole sentence. It would be great if you will manage to do it.

Til then we will be happy with what we have :bow_arrow:

Thank you for being interested in helping us.

vanyel

Hi,

If help is ever needed to translate anything into french, please contact me.

And expect excellent french ;-).

Grossbouff-Stephane

185425[/snapback]

Pouvez-vous les traduissez si vite que possible? Merci. :blink: