Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

The Help Window

Hello everyone :P

As you may know for this next update we are going to have a new Help Window. The encyclopedia and Help window will be merged into the ? icon. When you click that there'll be 2 tabs for each window (help/encyc).

So, we need content for the Help window, and I'm not certain if anyone has done any work on it yet or anything?

Anyway..I was thinking it really should act like a newbie help guide and FAQ. It's mainly all for newbies to get started with the game. Now I can get the newbie helpers and other players to contribute to get this data ready. But I just want to make sure that you guys, the encyclopedia crew, are ok with this and if you have done any work on it so far I'll need to know what has been done :)

Examples of things that should be included in the Help Guide:

1. What can I do in this game?

2. What do the colored bars on the bottom of the screen mean?

3. How do I get a weapon/armor?

etc...

Basically you should be able to click on a question and the window will then show a detailed explaination. At the bottom or side or someplace will be a BACK button to go back to the main screen.

Roja, jamesvm did this in febuary. :) And I updated and fixed it when I took over... when was the last time you copied over your languages directory from CVS?

Anyway, as I said before - that version in frozen, and all future versions will be made into help.xml and encyclopedia.xml - the new formats.

Edited by crusadingknight

Roja, jamesvm did this in febuary. :) And I updated and fixed it when I took over... when was the last time you copied over your languages directory from CVS?

Uh..I never knew I was supposed to do that.. I'm not a programmer B)

Ok, after copying it..the help file needs improvements still. There's some info there that's inaccurate or incomplete. No reason why not to fix it up for the update. I'll try to get some helpers to do it :)

Edit: Ok, um..can you give them the exact files I should have people edit and add content to? This is just for the Help guide.

Uh, grab them off the Encyclopedia CVS I meant ;) : (Last release: http://rootshell.be/~bremac/el-enc.zip ). Anyway, from memory, I believe the content you want is contained in help.xml and interface.xml, but as I said already: the new encyclopedia format is only ~2 months away (from what Lachesis has said). Any work done in the old format will just add extra time to the transition, because I'll have to convert it manually too... so, please, just have them create one file, help.xml (in the src/ directory with the encyclopedia.xml), using the new format, as described in Lachesis' post.

Anyway, be sure to name those people off to me, so I can give them commit access to the Languages repository. :)

Edited by crusadingknight

um...most likely they'll have no clue how to commit stuff so giving them access is rather pointless...lol..I dont even know if they'll know xml. I was just thinking of getting the content ready.

So should I just wait for the new format or is part of the new format done already so they can edit the file from the new format?

As I said, the only other sticky post has a link to an example folder. And, the repository has a webGUI interface - if they can use a blog, or an website on freewebs, they can use this. ;)

Ok, but: should I just wait for the new format or is part of the new format done already so they can edit the file from the new format?

Well, new format is designed, but not implemented. So you can write in it... but testing isn't possible. Still, the format just contains <section> <sub-section> <chapter>, etc. so worrying about testing it should be too much of a problem.

https://freepository.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi...kcfUqGlukel-enc

hm ok, that format looks nice and easy to use for a beginner ;)

Well...I'll just get the content ready and worry about putting it into the xml file format later on when it's ready to go.

Replace them with a disable-able "Tip of the Day" on startup?

Seems I have completely overlooked that thread ... sorry. Some important notes: for encyclopedia and help authors (and translators) some basic (!) knowledge of XML and CVS is very worthful, I'd even dare to say vital. Fortunately, the basics of both means are simple and easy to earn via various guides on the web. The goal of using CVS is enabling different authors to work on the same document concurrently, which will become unavoidable as the game grows on the medium term, especially because the whole encyclopedia is kept in a single file now. Additionally I have to stress that the estimation of two months is a minimum, not a maximum; I can't give any maximum because the amount of work is hard to estimate for me. The estimation I gave was only taken from the proposition that there is more work left to do than there is already done. Thus, the code won't be ready for 1.0.2 release, which has some unpleasant consequences. On the other hand, I have never hidden the fact that it's improbable that this code will be ready for 1.0.2 :P Please don't beat me.

With regards

Lachesis

I grabbed the Help.xml from CVS and gave it a read-over, fixed some typos, etc

full changed file is at http://ttlanhil.tripod.com/EL/Help.xml

a diff -Nuar is at http://ttlanhil.tripod.com/EL/Help.xml.patch (this will sprout XML errors in your browser, as it is not valid XML. view source or whatever)

note: tripod issues. you need to copy addy and open in new window. you should also have your popup blocked active.

also: this lists the current version of crafting. writing for the new skills will be needed at some stage

Please read Bug #49. Currently, no patches to languages/ can be accepted. Also note that "latest CVS" is only valid at the time you checked your file out. We have about ten commits each day ... so please either

* make a cvs diff -Nau

* provide the revision numbers of the files you based your patch on

* provide the contents of the respective ./CVS subdirectory

* provide the exact time (with GMT offset) you checked out or updated the source files your were working on

sorry bout that. the copy my diff was against is the same as:

from freerepository,

[el-enc] / Encyclopedia / languages / en / Encyclopedia / Help.xml

revision 1.4

or from main code CVS,

/languages/en/Encyclopedia/Help.xml

revision 1.3

ttlanhil, aisy and i are working (actually pretty much finished it) on the help window, if you have any suggestions / find any errors, please contact us, for i don't know if there are any updated files on either of your sources yet. it has completely changed, so please don't work on the old files.

Actually it's been done for a while...and posted in programming, and the xml files have been sent to roja.

--New rules.xml file

--New help.xml file (see programming section)

--New skillsFAQ.xml file

All of these will be going into a 4 tabbed ? window that zep made along with the encyclopedia. This was all said in programming.

Also vanyel is making a polish version of all of this, but I think that will be an optional download to replace this one if a player wants it.

Actually it's been done for a while...and posted in programming, and the xml files have been sent to roja.

--New rules.xml file

--New skillsFAQ.xml file

All of these will be going into a 4 tabbed ? window that zep made along with the encyclopedia.  This was all said in programming.

Also vanyel is making a polish version of all of this, but I think that will be an optional download to replace this one if a player wants it.

185053[/snapback]

Done and sent to Soldus (not sure if works though:|)

--New rules.xml file

--New skillsFAQ.xml file

All of these will be going into a 4 tabbed ? window that zep made along with the encyclopedia.  This was all said in programming.

185053[/snapback]

They're already committed to freepository and berlios. Unfortunately, vanyel sent his files to Soldus, which makes it hard for us to start a polish directory, as we ourselves have not received them as yet.