Eternal Lands Official Forums

The Pope

Karol Jozef Wojtyla

Actually that's Karol Józef Wojtyła

You must have ISO-8859-2 to read that :)

Regards

Chryzopraz

You're going to criticize me over an accent mark? I guess insulting sentence structure grammar wasn't good enough for you. :P

I am not talking about whether he did good things or not. The guy was a catholic, he believed in god, he is now with god. He's happy, those who care should be happy for him.

That is a very good point, but it is a natural part of being human to mourn someone's death if their life was so inspirational to so many people.

That is a very good point, but it is a natural part of being human to mourn someone's death if their life was so inspirational to so many people.

you dont have to inspire many people or thousands of people, just one.

you dont have to inspire many people or thousands of people, just one.

I was referring to this specific incident.

Edited by 007

oh i know, i didnt mean anything bad by that, just voicing an opinion, i was really upset when sister teresa died because when princess diana died, sister teresa got lost in the media and hype over princess di.

it really aggravates me that the media is more interested in the 'gossip' instead of focussing on what good some people do.

i also am sorry the pope passed so suddenly but i dont think his journey is over, its just beginning and thats something i can feel good about.

You're going to criticize me over an accent mark?  I guess insulting sentence structure grammar wasn't good enough for you.  :)

It's not an accent. In Polish we do not use accent mark.

You read 'ó' like 'oo' in pool. And 'ł' is like 'w' in 'wood'.

So you read "Karol Józef Wojtyła" similar to, uhm, "Caroll Yooseff Voytiwa" with the last 'a' more like in 'cristall'. And I can't find a good example for the hard Polish 'y'. If you try to imagine hard 'i' like in 'winter' it's the closest I can think of.

And I wasn't going to criticise or insult you. It's just too difficult for you, non slovian guys, to pronounce :D

Regards

Chryzopraz

Edited by Chryzopraz

Took it from a news site. Write them barking at them for not having super Slovian skills.

If you really think it was my intent then I apologize.

Regards

Chryzopraz

My word people.

I am neither Christian, nor Polish, and I still think that this is more a topic where folks should be able to get together and appreciate what the man did over his lifetime as opposed to bickering over accents and relative poverty levels.

Stop being so damned self-centered and appreciate the man's life and what it meant to so many people. If you truely cant think of anything good or topical to say, the for pete's sake just shut up.

This crap is just selfish and petty.

JPII was about as close to a great man as they come. He stood up for everyone, not just good Catholics. The man had a full life of amazing acheivements. He not only saw history being made, he had a part in it. Remember him for what he was and what he did. Rejoice, in the Christian sense of the word.

The man deserves a lot better than what you guys are doing here in this thread.

:)

One thing though:

Two weeks ago nearly nobody cared about what the church does or says.

You were christian by paper and that's it. In Germany more and more people are leaving the church (so you don't give them your money via tax too) and the churches are getting more and more empty.

Now the pope is dead and all of a sudden you can't even watch the news or read the paper without reading some smeg about that guy dying in richdom and wealth (oh.. reading: No Flames, ok, disregard the last part of the sentence please).

Why's that? Not even after 911 the media made such a fuss about what's going on - without bringing any actual information.

I hope you can answer this question to me, thanks alot!

You were christian by paper and that's it. In Germany more and more people are leaving the church

Why's that? Not even after 911

Are you german? In that case it's 11/9, not 9/11, 9.11 or even 911. It's the americans being backwards just to confuse everyone else as usual. It was the 11th of september, not 9th of november.

Unless you're talking about a Porsche and I completely misunderstood your post.

Lol, I am German, and I know it's 11.9 in the correct date.

Though I thought the abbrivation 911 was wellknown everywhere?

It's confusing, I heard "9.11" so many times that it took a couple of years before I figured out that it wasn't in november.

And it's not nine hundred eleven in any case.

Lol, I am German, and I know it's 11.9 in the correct date.

Though I thought the abbrivation 911 was wellknown everywhere?

It's confusing, I heard "9.11" so many times that it took a couple of years before I figured out that it wasn't in november.

And it's not nine hundred eleven in any case.

Leeloo's right. Stupid US dates :P

However, I dont agree with you about the pope Leeloo. He was a great and honest man. This isnt about religion, its about respecting and honouring a true hero. Even if your not Catholic and dont believe in Jesus, it doesnt mean you cant respect him and give him the credit he deserves for his amazing feats.

Or are you saying your only aloud to hate George Bush if your American?

Placid, please read the catholic part of my post, even if you're not a catholic. The pope was, and if you do care about him, that's what counts.

Basically, it started with someone (name is not relevant to this) complaining that she couldn't even go to a bar because everything was closed with every catholic in poland being sad about the pope dying. And that was my point, catholics shouldn't be sad about the pope finally getting to meet god, they should be happy for him. The other part was just tacked on without as much thought, I didn't realize there were non-catholics who cared about him. But I think that he should be allowed the benefit of the doubt, and those who care should be happy that he gets to meet his god even if we don't believe there is a god. In his "world" there is a god, and that's where he is going.

Leeloo, I must contradict you.

So let's assume there's heaven and hell.

We don't know exactly where he goes after he dies. If the pope is spoken holy then the church knows he's with god and angles and stuff like that.

If he is spoken "selig" (don't know the English word, sorry, must be something like semi-holy), then he's somehow close to mother mary, but not with god.

Conclusion: If you're dead but not holy we don't know if you're with god or not. But we surely know you're dead :P

Edited by headhunter88

Well, certain Protestant denominations have it in their theology that there are only 2 ways to go. Kinda simplifies things when there isn't semi-holy or semi-evil, only "good" and "bad".

He's the pope. How could the pope NOT go to his heaven?

He can't run through the field of wild ponies because he is not a wild pony. That's how.

I'm a pony, though, so I'm going to heaven.

I'm Flyyyyyying!

He can't run through the field of wild ponies because he is not a wild pony. That's how.

I'm a pony, though, so I'm going to heaven.

I'm Flyyyyyying!

...I guess you'll get there quickly. j/k

One thing though:

Two weeks ago nearly nobody cared about what the church does or says.

Speak for yourself, please.

There are many popes that certainly didn't deserve to go to heaven. And I say it as a Catholic.

There are many popes that certainly didn't deserve to go to heaven. And I say it as a Catholic.

But then you probably wouldn't be sad that they died either?

But then you probably wouldn't be sad that they died either?

No, I wouldn't. But that doesn't concern, in my opinion, John Paul II.

Mireille:

>> One thing though:

>>Two weeks ago nearly nobody cared about what the church does or says.

>Speak for yourself, please.

I was speaking about media attention and the general feeling of people (in Germany) towards the church (and for myself of course too) ;)