Eternal Lands Official Forums

maby a shield that u can put on ur back insteed of a cloak?

maby +4 armor and +2 defense

or

+7 defense when u get multi fighted

or maby 10% that enemy miss you

cool?

A shield on your back? A - isn't that what plate armor is? and B - does that make you a turtle?

reminds me of seeing an old Saxon technique, they put their shields on their backs quite often. Provided back armor, and freed the second hand either to better control a weapon, or use two. Would provide back armor and extra attack (potential), at the cost of front armor.

Looking at those pictures Satan, there would be some seroius negatives involved in fighting. The sheer akwardness of it. The limited movability. Something like is not practicle for sword fighting / melee. Archers / crossbowman maybe. But the negatives should be considered if we are to try and implement this.

in settlers swordman have also a shield on there back :(

yeh the negative could be -x acuration ,and u cant use a cloak

And can we have something where, if they are knocked down they can't get back up (just like a turtle) and thus get a negative -1000 or something? :(

i dont get it why u dont like my idea.. it fuking ownz man :]

Think of the mechanics of it! If you fall down in a fight with such a thing on your back it would be hell to get back up. And just the sheer akwardness of it.

And I didn't say we shouldn't do it... just consider the negatives.

Lol imagine all those men on their backs with their arms and legs wiggling like crazy while they try to roll over...it IS rather a funny image :lol:

Actually they all look like giant beetles...

Seriously though, Satan, you do have a lot of good ideas. Just Kit's mental image there is pretty funny.

a shield doesnt need to be Round.. and maby it can be made of titanium? LoL

Satan, you do have a lot of good ideas

ty, but no1 listend ;-(

who says no one listened? look at all your thread views :(

And I already explained on another thread that this is not possible.

Actually my concern had nothing to do with the shape of the shield, but more in the size of such a shield.

Let's say it's square since no one likes the turtle analogy. Not for this shield to be effective, it has to be strapped to you. And if it is to be protective (going by Satan's drawings) it is also fairly large. Large enough to down to the level of a character's posterier (i.e. their butt).

Now, strap a large peice of wood to your back, given that it will cover your full width and extend as low as suggested above. Now, try to get up. Typically people use their posterier as a fulcrum point. However, if both your back and your posterier are connected to the shield (your back by the straps and your posterier by gravity) you'll have no way of getting up.

Actually in this case, a round shield would be better making it slightly eaiser to roll to the side. But no one likes my turtle analogy, so good luck getting up in a fight if you were ever knocked down.

[Obviously I need a proof reader today]

Edited by Kit

Kit, no disrespect, but research history a bit on the back shields. I remember seeing a History Channel documentary, where they mentioned that the Saxons under Harold Godwinsson (Battle of Hastings, 1066) actually had an advantage over the Normans and William, Duke of Normandy because of the shields on their backs.

Unfortunately for Harold, one advantage does not tip the other disadvantages. However, if this weren't an effective technique, I don't think people would use it.

And this point is moot anyway, as they can't effectively code it anyway.

yeh didnt u saw Troy movie? brat pitt had shieldon his back and when enemy shoot him with arrow he turned his back :-P

What are we talking about though? Arrows? Phalanx war far? Not in this game. We're talking about melee. Close combat sword play. You might as well bring a knife to a gunfight.

Now, if you want to mention that no one can fall over in this game, that would be a worthy note. My main point though, was that having such a bulky piece of equipment (if possible) should be paired with some negatives.

I dont like the idea, it would probably just be a waste of time when we need it for more advanced suggestions in the game. Plus we want EL to stay unique and not copy from other games *cough your picture cough* Sorry but i will have to vote No for the suggestion

copy? then are elf/dwarfs/orcs/goblin/ogres/cyclops no copy ?

There is no point to having shields on your backs right now in the game satan! It would be a waste of time and just a shield for show, until better ways come out to use it, stick with the original shield.