Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Theblackone

Lottery

Hi

Satanslave and i decided to make a lottery.

You can buy lots from today (sunday march 27) till Thursday march 31. Friday march 32 at 6.00 PM (GMT) we will tell you the winners. That will be in channel 99 and/or the White Stone City meeting hall (the building north of temple).

We are going to sell lots at the beam and at VOTD storage. They are 50 gc each and the prizes are a book of Titanium Axe Construction, Steel Shield and some rare ring building books.

If you want to buy a lot and we are not online, please send an e-mail to riemer_kingma@hotmail.com with the subject lottery.

We will post in this topic the ppl who buyed lots and it will be updated every day.

If you have questions about the lottery, send us a pm in the game or post a reply on this topic.

We arent scamming your money, because we give the prizes to a mod first to be sure you really get it if you win.

There is no max of buying lots.

If you buy 3 lots you get your 4th lot free!! :blink:

Cya, -TheBlackMan- :D

This are the people who bought tickets: (you can still buy them)

Cyprom (1 ticket)

J_c (1 ticket)

cokinoox (4 tickets)

filter (3 tickets)

Many people think the ticket is an item but its not....

You can choose your prize.... i think the best is book of titanium axe const

Here are the new people who bought tickets:

Alex1105 (22 tickets!!!!)

Wolfgamer (2 tickets)

the_glenn (4 tickets)

blaad (4 tickets)

jakoblin (1 ticket)

Tigorn (1 ticket)

I'll tell you why this smells funny. The lottery probably has a negative expected outcome, so Satan and Black will make more money off the lottery than the value of the prizes they put in. People who enter the lottery will lose money on average. Sure, some people will win, but on average the value gained will be negative. That's the way real gambling works. The people who own the lottery make money, and the people who play it lose money on average.

Post here if I'm wrong Satan and Black, and your lottery actually has a positive expected outcome. Be sure to list the prizes you'll be giving out and whether the prizes will change if more people sign up.

Lotteries expect that more money will be put into it, than comes out of it, that's why they can afford to have huge prizes, they'll still be making a profit.

Also, chintan, the prizes are listed already, and the prizes should not increase just because more people sign-up, lotteries in the real world will not add a couple million just because one extra ticket was bought.

The only problem I see, is how to make sure the winner's were picked fairly.

Add to Pocal's comments that since everything is listed and stated ahead of time, the people buying the tickets have the right to say "No thank you". Nobody is making anybody buy anything.

.... lotteries in the real world will not add a couple million just because one extra ticket was bought....

Well maybe not where you live, but most for profit lotteries, the size if the prize increases as more tickets are sold.

Exactly, there is no fair way. Its just another way to scam people. Although some of these lotteries may be legitimate, I think moderators should at least post in game scam alerts regarding this activity, just as they do with password scamming, 'blessed' item scams, etc.

I'm not suggesting that they be disallowed since that has already been decided. What I am saying that there should be some kind of scam warning just like some moderators make about other potential scams.

Exactly, there is no fair way. Its just another way to scam people. Although some of these lotteries may be legitimate, I think moderators should at least post in game scam alerts regarding this activity, just as they do with password scamming, 'blessed' item scams, etc.

Go to http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13452 and scroll down for a fair way to pick numbers for a lottery that involves many people in the drawing.

I'm not suggesting that they be disallowed since that has already been decided. What I am saying that there should be some kind of scam warning just like some moderators make about other potential scams.

If we did a scam warning for every kind of scam and potential scam out there, you wouldn't be able to see your screen with all the blue writing. People can make their own decision whether they can afford to lose the cost of a ticket. It's their decision.

Let me clarify, i'm not accusing you of being a scammer, all I am saying is that the potential for scamming in these kinds of contests exist. Even if your number choosing system is completely random and fair, other simliar events may not be.

I guess buyer beware.

The new people who bought tickets: (some are already here and posted by Aragorn1)

revolvingkarma (1 ticket)

Aragorn1 (24 tickets)

Logania (24 tickets)

clodd (8 tickets)

the_glenn (6 tickets)

battalgazi (4 tickets)

Jaxonia and Avenarius (10 tickets)

Alex1105 (44 tickets, prolly bonus prize!)

grimm420 (1 ticket)

garfield_girl (2 tickets)

tresh (1 ticket)

flapper (1 ticket)

Deathguard (20 tickets)

Sorinake (15 tickets)

Let me clarify, i'm not accusing you of being a scammer, all I am saying is that the potential for scamming in these kinds of contests exist. Even if your number choosing system is completely random and fair, other simliar events may not be.

I guess buyer beware.

Not sure who you are talking to here, but it isn't my contest. :( I have nothing to do with it other than to say that we as mods have discussed it and decided it to be an acceptable thing to do.

.... lotteries in the real world will not add a couple million just because one extra ticket was bought....

Well maybe not where you live, but most for profit lotteries, the size if the prize increases as more tickets are sold.

In Canada, the prizes only increase on the next draw if no winners are found form the previous draw. When the ticket sales close 2 hours before the winning numbers are picked, its kinda hard to suddenly adjust the grand prize. And some people only play on the bigger prizes, so those people would be pissed if after sales were done, the prize got to be big enough that they would have played.

In other words, just have set prizes...it will yield a higher profit for you if you don't have to add in extra prizes that will cost you money.