Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WiLdCaRd

Storage Areas

:P Ok, just an idea here, the problem reared its ugly head last night, so I thought I`d post on forums to see what everyone else thinks. Storage areas are becoming a bit of a problem, esp since we can now make items at several locations now, the main problem is when the area becomes crowded, that in turn can lead to problems finding the storage bots and actually getting to him/her. A lot of people are standing next to the bots, and while this isn`t actually illegal, it can be deemed as a little inconsiderate to other players that are trying to use the facility. So please spare a thought for others players, and SIT down rather than stand, it just makes it easier for everyone, even if your only going to be there for a minute, it only takes a few seconds to sit and then stand as you leave. We all wanted more storage areas to make stuff at, and we`ve got that now, so thats fantastic, but please, lets be a little more considerate and try not to block the store bots.

One other point I`d like to make, people who are AFK, we all know what Raven is/was like for lagging, the reason being as I see it, is the amount of people there, and this is now becoming a problem elsewhere too. Can we ban AFKing at storage areas?? This would free up so much space and make life easier for those that want to make stuff and for those that want to drop off,or collect items. If you`re not at your keyboard, why do you have to sit in a storage area?? Cant people simply walk outside, or just move away from the area before they leave their keyboard?? I know some of you will argue,well, when I come back I want to grab my things and go, well fine, but how long does it take to walk through a door, or cave entrance?? The game already has the program to teleport players while harvesting, so why not use it to teleport people who are sat at storage areas on AFK to a nearby location?? I`ve seen people sat there ALL day and ALL night, c`mon people, MOVE and let those people that want to use the areas for what they`re there for in.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by WiLdCaRd

yes it would be very nice to dissallow afking at storages...but those things are a pain in the ass to enforce....what if there was some server way to do it?

Like...if you're afk, in a storage area..you get teleported a few steps away(like with harvesting).

Afk people already sit down automatically. (along with the #afk feature that is.)

My impression is that all players at the storages are there .. sometimes chatting. But they are not afk.

Beaming afk people also doesn't work since most people who "work" next to the storages sit on bags. They disappear after 12 minutes while the #afk mode starts after 5 minutes if I remember correctly.

In case they are just going to the bathroom .. or something similar .. they would be teleported away and would probably lose their bags.

why cant you just make people around storages sit down after one minute of not moving from that square like i suggested a million years ago

How about make the afkers at storage teleport away like harvesters do but AFTER the maximum amount of time a bag would have to poof anyway.

What's the Point of that, Aisllinn? If someone Chooses to go AFK (or even Walks away from their keyboard) with a Bag under them, that's sort of accepting the fact that they don't care about that bag and except the risk of losing it.

In fact, I think it's for that reason the AFK-Teleport time should be Shorter then the Bag Poof timer, if for the only reason to encourage player NOT to walk away from the Keyboard, even if they think they'll only only be away for but a moment. So many Player's do stuff around Storage, often with a very Large bag under them, only to walk away with the intention of coming right back while in the mean time, they are adding to the overcrowding problem. If a Player walks away from the Keyboard, they should understand there's a risk when leaving stuff just lying there.

Not everybody walks away because they want to.

Phone rings, doorbell rings, dogs go crazy outside, nature calls...little things that might only take a few minutes that just can't be helped. I think it would be fair to give people that benefit of the doubt for the natural length of a baglife. Being tp'd in 12 minutes instead of 5 isn't going to make anything worse.

Afk people already sit down automatically. (along with the #afk feature that is.)

My impression is that all players at the storages are there .. sometimes chatting. But they are not afk.

Beaming afk people also doesn't work since most people who "work" next to the storages sit on bags. They disappear after 12 minutes while the #afk mode starts after 5 minutes if I remember correctly.

In case they are just going to the bathroom .. or something similar .. they would be teleported away and would probably lose their bags.

If people are chatting, or working on bags, they cant go AFK because they are activly doing something, its only when the player is idle and doing nothing that he will go AFK. Sometimes, as was mentioned, players cant help it if they leave the keyboard, if someone has been playing all day, you cant expect them not to run and use the loo, or grab a sandwich or something. If people are only gone for a short length of time, its not a real problem, I was refering to the people that sit there for hours on end, and they`re not chatting otherwise they wouldn`t be AFK. Kami was right, to a certain degree, that yes, if players go AFK while sat on a bag, there is always the risk that the bag will go pop, as for the 12mins, I was always led to believe, thats not always the case, but it depends on how many bags there are on that map at that time, so 12mins might actually only be 9-10mins. To compensate for a few problems, why not make the AFK delay, a little longer?? Roja I`m glad to see ya read my 1st post in detail :lol: Thats what I said!! Hehe. We already have the teleport program in the game for harvesting, so surely it wouldn`t be difficult to adjust the program slightly to teleport people that have been inactive at storage areas for what, shall we say 15mins? That way, IF people have left for a few mins to answer the phone/door, grab a drink or something to eat, or go to the bathroom, it gives them time to return to their bag IF they`re working on one. Sirdan, while you suggestion is helpful, it wouldn`t solve the lag problem, because they would still be there. If 20 people are sat at storage, its going to lag, if 20 people are there working, it cant be helped, but if 15 out of those 20 aren`t even there, thats what I would like to see stopped. But yes, you`re right to the 1st part of my post, it would help with the access side of things.

Again, thanks for you time :(

Edited by WiLdCaRd

Yes Wildcard, bags can poof sooner, thats why I said 12 minutes...that way the teleporting in no way is the cause of the bag to get lost. As long as the tping occurs after the maximum amount of bag life available, that is. So 15 minutes is fine too. That way it's a pretty safe bet the person is afk, and going to be afk for a while.