Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Help window, programmer needed!

Ok this is something fully client side I believe, that someone can help with which we'd like for the next update.

I want to make a Help icon at the bottom of the screen that pops up a Help window. It will have a listing of all the hotkeys, and tips and tricks for newbies to understand the interface and other things in the game.

The icon is already made for it, it is the ? in gamebuttons.bmp. I think this should be pretty easy...can someone do it?

I will make a listing of what should go in this window and how it should be soon.

I can do it, but we have a problem, because in 640x480 resolution, the icon bar is full.

Added the help window, ctrl+h to display it. To add content just create an encyclopedia page named HelpPage.

And Grum is right...it does not show at 640x480.

shoot..i forgot that last icon spot was taken up with the newest icon already... ok i'll think some more on where to put it.

Hmz, Roja, didn't you wanted it to be the part of the Encyclopedia - hotkeys etc?

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

originally, yes, but i want this ? icon because everyone will immediately know it, it's in so many programs..a universal help symbol.

Well, so maybe add a "?" to the book that is the symbol of Encyclopedia? Or maybe "?" ON that book

what is very common symbol of manual? It is kinda good when everything is in one place...

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Well, so maybe add a "?" to the book that is the symbol of Encyclopedia? Or maybe "?" ON that book

what is very common symbol of manual? It is kinda good when everything is in one place...

Regards.

I think that makes sense.

What is the problem with increasing the window size?

Oh yes, please!

Regards.

What is the problem with increasing the window size?

People with low end machines, developers who have a test game tucked away in a corner among several edit windows, people that play secretly because their dad has forbidden them to, etc. 640x480 resolution has been offered from the start, it's a bad idea to remove it, imho.

No one said it has to have size of the USA but two cm of height more would be great. If it could have

stats window size I could do very nice two columns of content too...

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

No one said it has to have size of the USA but two cm of height more would be great. If it could have

Regards.

What I believe Grum is saying, is that in 640x480 window resolution, it will be too small. Can you not increase your window res. to say, 1024 Plat?

I have checked 640x480 - looks fine. Anyway there is still an option of stats window size.

Regards.

The only other thing we can possibly do is decrease the size of the icons. but for that to be of any worth they'd have to be 1/4 of the size they are now, and that's too small :/

Well, Okay 2 cm is too much, then I suggest stats window size. After I think about that, it looks like I

could save alot of place making longer lines and make it wider than actually wrapping them and making it higher.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Well, Okay 2 cm is too much, then I suggest stats window size. After I think about that, it looks like I

could save alot of place making longer lines and make it wider than actually wrapping them and making it higher.

Regards.

Trouble is, I think the stats window is perfectly readable, would it being width-ways make it harder to read?

Is this just something you have found when your doing something, or is it a client-wide problem?

Regards.

What I believe Grum is saying, is that in 640x480 window resolution, it will be too small. Can you not increase your window res. to say, 1024 Plat?

No that's not what i'm saying. The windows are the same size in every screen resolution, but the total amount of screen space is less. That's why an encyclopedia window on 640x480 looks relatively larger than on 1024x768.

The only other thing we can possibly do is decrease the size of the icons.

Let's not do that. It'd be a waste of good-looking icons.

Well, Okay 2 cm is too much, then I suggest stats window size. After I think about that, it looks like I could save alot of place making longer lines and make it wider than actually wrapping them and making it higher.

That'd be better, but not ideal. Do you really need this space. Do we really need the information in there? Not trying to thread on anyone's toes, just asking.

Ad 1. And Encyclopedia windows is not readable? It is semitransparent anyway.

Ad 2. I agree that icon shouldn't be resized, they are small enought, smaller would look bad and be non

comfortable to use.

Ad 3. Actually yes. Maps section is already a pain, it looks incredibly bad. Weapons and Armors section -

I can't imagine it when the new items will be added, all these magic swords etc. I will have to split that

section or make two pages which, I think, will be non comfortable or other acrobatic evolutions.

Roja is doing pictures of animals and monsters - I think she would need some more space for these.

Well stats window takes whole width of EL client at 640x480 so, maybe Encyclopedia window could

take like 0.5 cm below max. height? Or even whole that space since you can open/close window by

clicking on hud icon? Especially that...come on who plays at 640x480...:-P

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

The only other thing we can possibly do is decrease the size of the icons. but for that to be of any worth they'd have to be 1/4 of the size they are now, and that's too small :/

Decreasing them to 30x30 is enough to have one more icon.

Someone have to add sector.o and help.o to the makefiles and remove the strange newlines from help.h

edit: clicking the help button causes a segfault

Edited by Vegar

I thought, since Roja liked my idea about not making separate function for something that

was supposed to be in the Encyclopedia, that help window is no longer needed...

Regards.

the reason it segfaults vegar, is that it have no error handleing when a file it needs to read (xml based) is missing.

and platyna, i think you talked about it being a part of the encyclopedia after sadez added the code the the cvs...