Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cindy

Not the Potion Lady !!!!

* personally i think the potion lady NEEDS to go ; players need to become more reliant on game centered economy with in game made items rather than NPC provided sources of supply. However -

It has been noted that per design team, the potion lady is "soon to leave " us. . When the potion lady goes where the hell are we supposed to put all the potion crap we dont have room for now ?

I have all skills to their mid 20's at least - except for potions - mainly because i have no room to store potion making items. And no i have no intention of starting each potion making session "from scratch" and spending an hour collecting components so i can spend one hour a day practicing potion skill.

I would like to submit the following inventory of my characterss items.

I feel this is a stripped, bare bones inventory. A no frills inventory.

It is insufficient. With design implementing quests that require posession (and i reasonably presume, storage of) several wierd, otherwise useless items, the current limit on storage is short sighted and criminal. If it does not change - and soon, my intention is to create mule characters.

Now, what is going to place more storage/retrieval demand on the server ;

a few more columns in my existing inventory sheet - or a complete set of character data files for new mule characters ? Can you imagine doubling the storage and input/output traffic that currently exists ? I assert it IS going to happen because every main character will be required to have at least one "shadow" character as their mule for storage.

Here is one example of a no frills inventory:

Flowers

Impatiens - req for Alchemy

Lilac - req for Alchemy

Lupine - req for Potions

Ore

Silver Ore - required for essence/Alchemy/Potions

Titanium ore - req for Manufacturing

Metals

Iron - req for Manufacturing

Steel - req for Manufacturing

(Titaniuim would be here if I could make it)

Minerals

Coal - a convenience item for finishing off smelting of

odd lots of ores

Tools

Mortar & Pestle - mandantory

Hammer - mandantory

Pickaxe - here when not carried

Misc

Needle - mandantory for manufacturing

Thread - mandantory for manufacturing

Bone Powder - req for potion making

Weapons

Steel Long - allways have to keep a couple "back up" blades

Armor

Leather - stored until given to beginners

Chain - back up armor

Steel - not worn when smithing/harvesting etc

wooden shields - quest crap

Magic Items

WSC rings

DP rings

VoTD rings

Portland Rings

* I dont want to hear any horseshit about "you could cast "Portals ring" spell " -

that would require storage, and carrying of - 3 other essences

which is not a space saving cost effective move and,

it is not a character weight reduction effective move. If Room of Portals was a one essence spell - i would use it. But as it is, to cast it 3 or 4 times,

i have to carry 3 essences x 4 of each: lets see - weight 4 for (4) rings or weight 12 for essences - tough choice ? I choose rings.

Rings of Disengage - sensible precaution for competent corpse/gear recovery

Essences

Matter

Health

Life

Magic

all used daily for heals, ranged heals, shield spells

Its not like this provides a complete or even modest range of spell choices.

This is bare bones spell supplies. This is stripped.

Potions

Attack

Defense

Combat

* never leave home without these for those unexpected encounters

Harvesting - sensible item for difficult to harvest items

Mind & Body Restore

* never leave home without a few of these either

Animal Items

Deer fur - required for potions

Brown Rabbit fur - required for potions

Fox Fur - quest crap

Bones - required for potions

Red Snake Skin - quest crap

The bear and wolf and white rabbit furs required for several potions arent able to be stored.

This is bare bones.

Clothes

several cloaks

you can only wear one at a time and all are required

to sensibly accomplish projects at regular times.

** This is the end of the list. You do not find anything here which does not have an immediate and daily use except for the quest crap. I am NOT one of those fools that compulsively has to "collect" "one of every item".

Of all the available potions - i stock less than 1/4 of them

Of all the available ores/metals - i stock less than 1/6 of them

Of all the available furs i stock less than 1/3 of them

Of the available armor less than 1/5 of it

Of the available Weapons less than 1/8 of them

Of the available essences - less than 1/6 of them

Of the available Flowers - less than 1/15 of them

Of the available Potions - less than 1/4 of them

This is an an insufficient, bare bones, no frills list of stored items.

And the impact of removing the potions lady (which i have absolutely no objection to) will be to overload an allready inadequate storage capacity.

Which is why this post is in this section. If you are going to "design" inventory intensive quests, and inventory intensive character supplies changes - then fix the damn inventory storage shortage.

Unfortunately, adding more spaces to the storage is extremly hard. I guess it is OK to create mules, I can't prevent that from happening anyway...

I wasn't sure what the limitations of programming were. An array is a fairly memory efficient struct. Is it feasible to store storage data in one ?

One possible alternative would be to de-list certain potions and leave others - that would reduce inventory requirements somewhat since you wont have to stock supplies to make just about anything

The only two potions that come to mind as over used, well three, would be manna restore, body restore and harvesting. Any other candidates for a partial de-listing of certain potions ? Maybe Atk & Def ?

Also, I hope the potion lady can find a new job after she's laid off. It'd be a shame to see her wasting her life boozing it up next to Andrew . . .

Especially since someone went to the trouble of doing the artwork.

It'd be a shame to see her wasting her life boozing it up next to Andrew . . .

Actually, that'd be one of the coolest things that could happen. A drunk NPC with a *real* history, it would be great.

Now, to think of a quest involving a laid-off potions lady...

I don't think they should get rid of the potion lady, because i say good luck getting bear furs. However, I think she shouldn't sell all of them. I think the potion makers should have control of the best pots. That way like the fighters who sell overpriced drop only items would have to rely on potion makers for body rests or some potion that heals 50 or better fighting boost pots or something.

i was thinking the exact same thing :)

low level items may be bought but higher ones can only be found or made, that way we get a more vibrant player market and at the same time make the higher powerd items more rare :)

Maybe keep the low level potions there for beginning players who lack the resources to train up their potion skill, but dont sell any potions besides the basics

When I was working on potion making skill, I sold an awful lot of potions to the potion lady. It would be nice if maybe Trik would buy at least some kinds of potions if the potion lady is no longer around.

Maybe she will only buy, but not sell...

As for the bear fur, you can get it from the guy in the old TreeTown (whatever is it's name now)

When I was working on potion making skill, I sold an awful lot of potions to the potion lady.  It would be nice if maybe Trik would buy at least some kinds of potions if the potion lady is no longer around.

That's a great idea! Then all we need now is a Bar in Tirnwood and the whole game will be complete!