Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sam3773

The magic community fight back :/

Some of us at EL like magic, really like magic and we were wondering about a few new spells? :lol:

First of all, I'm only summarizing whats come up before. Secondly, since when soes entropy give a sneak peek more then a day or two before anything new shows up?

Patience!

allso, magic is the last thing entropy want to attack in any big way as it can be a gamebreaker if its made to powerfull. right now its only the framework, the features will come (i hope)...

Another little thing to add to this should be some shortcut, or prepared spells, to alloy us casting spells during combat :)

The only spells easy to launch are restorations... but no aggressives ones ;)

Perhaps some keyboard shorcut would be interesting too.

how about you can buy spell books and when you cast a new spell it adds it to your spell book. then you could put 3 boxes up in the top right hand coner the first one would have you nomale weapon the second will have your ranged weapon and the thrid would be magic. if you click on one of th boxes it make you use that weapon, and for the magic it would have a drop down bar thing (dont know what you call them) that lists all the spells. if you chose a magic aggresive spell it automaticly cast that spell it a fight like a nomale attack, and if you ran out of points you could change your weapon to be a nomale weapon or a ranger weapon. if you chose a friendly spell then you would use your nomale weapon in a fight but when your not it a fight you would click on the use icon and then right click on someone to cast the spell

Yup interesting but not a complete list of spells in the menu, you have to select some, as 5 - 10.

But spell book a good idea, then you can learn some more with quests.

yea that would be good, instead of telling everyone all the spells you get told after doing quests, but they have to be like the god quests so not everyone hasto do them :)

hmm, i like the spellbook idea, first time you cast the spell its added to the spellbook so that later on you only click the spell in the spellbook and if you have the needed stuff it will cast the spell...

combine this with an idea i posted in the client wishlist some time ago and you can maybe drag the spells icon if you will over the a quicktask list and when yu click it in that list it will try to cast the spell if you have the skill and essences.

the real problem is that entropy dont want spell users to become godlike, but that can be controled by what spells are available. and if spells are blocked in combat like they are then i dont see the problem...

allso check out my idea for arcanite in the manufacturing thread (i think that was the place, or was it mining?) anyways its a mineral that allow items to carry a permanent essence charge that will lower the needed essences for a spell as long as the item is worn...

You can use magic as a start of combat, and why a mage can't fight ?

There is ppl that don't like warriors like me :P

And the quicklist should be a very good idea, with some key shortcut.

In fact magic stuff is like fighting ... question of balance :cry:

Another little thing that could be done for magic ... instead of everyone got sigils ... perhaps god can give you some ... ultmate sigils depend on gods, so you can't cast ultimate spells of the game ;)

And all gods can give you some more, there is some slots left in sigil list ;)

that was what i was talking about duran, you have 3 boxes up in the top corner for your melley weapon, ranger weapon and your spell book. you can the two different types of weapons and the spell book at the same type and you can change from one weapon to another just by clicking on the pic. of the weapon in the top corner. and by the side of the magic book is aa down down bar thing that lists all of the spells you have cast and you can select one of them to use in a fight (im not sure if we have any aggressive spells yet but if we do or when we do thats what im talking about) it will cast the spell at the same speed that you would attack using and weapon and sometimes you would fail your spell just like you would miss a hit. this way it wouldnt make you god like but it will make magic as usfull as fighting :( 8)

ripping off dungeon siege? nah, maybe we should put in quickbuttons for body and spirit potions to? (rethorical question, rember that this game is about more then bodycount)

my i idea is a bit more flexible, you have say 10 boxes, and in those boxes you can put anything. so you want to change weapon? make sure that the weapon is in one of the boxes and click the box. want to cast a spell, put it in a box and you can cast it by clicking it. in fact you can put anything in the boxes from potions to pickaxes for easy access as long as you have them in your inventory (the image in the boxes is just a "link" to the real item).

that way everyone can build theyre own list of quickaccess items based on theyre own style of play. maybe someone want to have some food and a pickaxe there as they often harvest, maybe someone wants a quicklink to a summoning setup as they often summon a animal for help, the list is endless...

as for in combat spells, i would rather have say a flameing fist kinda spell that for a time puts my fists on fire or maybe my staff if im using that. basicly support spells rather then direct assault spells in combat. the direct damage spells should work just like they do now, not available in combat.

the funny thing is that maybe the attack skill could be replaced by your magic skill while the spell is in effect, so that you gain magic exp when useing the spell rather then attack skill :(

these are the spells i can see in use in combat: support spells, spells that allow for better protection, healing or better combat. not ranged direct damage spells, they have a out of combat use instead (as a combat starter or maybe as a support if you can cast them on a monster that is allready in combat with someone else). allso i would like to see more remote aid spells (like the remote heal) most can be made into this by say stuffing a local area "prefix" on them :)

so here is how it goes, i cast a "spiked fist" spell on myself and for as long as that spell last my magic skill is my attack skill and any attack exp i get goes to the magic skill. basicly it becomes a kind of magic weapon. you still have to go into combat like before and the spell only last for so long. problem is that when the spell stops working the skill jumps back to normal and your toast unless you cast another one (if only you didnt burn your etheral ernergy and essences on other spells that is).

i like your idea just a few things, when you cast a spell like the fire round your hand, if you had level 21 magic and level 2 combat, would it be your combat that you use or your magic? and if that is going to happen you need to be able to cast the spell in the fight or when the spell runs out people that only use magic will die

dont forget about armor and healing spells in all this, those are the ones that keep you alive! your defense and combat skill will still be the same tho as its jsut that you replace your attack skill (ok maybe drop the part about giving the exp to your magic skill maybe) but i want to have a bit of a drawback to useing magic as your main weapon, magic is never 100% positive...

i was thinking make it so you could use magic in fights but you fail it about 1/4 of the time more than use weapons but make magic take off more damage because you have use your ethereal points so you cant keep casting the spell

hmm, i was thinking something like the same that you keep draining etheral points every time you hit.

man i wish there was a "mana" indicator on screen at all times...

allso, combat spells like those spiked fists may be put on top of weapons to boost them but maybe at a cost of even more etheral points at time of casting :(

basicly, if you want to use magic, keep your etheral points boosted way high as your going to need them :)

a warrior have the advantage that if he can keep on fighting the magican will sooner or later run out of steam. a warrior is head on, a wizard is more planing beforehand...

when i think of a mage in a fight if think of taking of alot of damage in a shote pried of time then runing out of ethereal points

Here is an idea for the aggresive spells for like monsters have the monster not attack you cuz tahts mean cuz it's much easier to cast poison on a sleeping bear then a bunny but if you do cast the spell on the bear it will most likely wake up and attack and have you ever tried chasing a bunny while trying to cast Poison on the evil flashbacks

i talekd to entropy some time ago about a repel spell that made monsters trying ot target you stay away so that you could stilluse magic on them. this spell allso makes itself useful in support roles as you can use it to keep monsters away while helping your fellow players that are in combat...

its basicly the same spell only that the owrd invisibility is a loaded word so people would get mad if they could not stand in plain sight and not be seen with the spell active.

i actully love the invisibility spell, it could work like a alch cape except temporary, lasts 30 mins or something, and required lvl 33 and 60 ethereal points

yes but let us call it something else then invisibility as invisibility have a loaded meaning so if you dont dissapear when useing it then people will complain...