Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Zoom out feature

That's been suggested before, on the old forums. The conclusion pretty much was that it wouldn't be done..

Plus, zooming out also gives people with a larger screen advantages that others don't have.

thats like saying that people with faster computers have an advantage over the people with slower computers.... cable modem vs. 56k.... etc..

i just think it would make it a better game....

...can i sue if i get RSI from constantly clicking to move my guy?

No, nothing to do with faster computers, a larger viewing area give you an advantage because you can see more. For all I know, its someone with a high-res screen running poor_man.

So the main problem is actually the loads of clicks you gotta make to get somewhere? That's in most games - although some support dragging your mouse (which just EATS bandwidth)

Actually, with the Client being open sourced, there might be ways of build a new movement type system that doesn't use up loads of bandwidth. What you would want to do is simulate clicking on a destination on the screen and at slower intervals updating it with a new click. That would be similar to someone clicking once a second or so as you walk along and probably remove the risk of attack sleeping bears behind trees.

If anyone does start to work on something like this, please post that you are doing so and make sure the old method still works as well (probbaly configurable in el.ini). The same applies to thinks like keyboard mapping/remapping. Then the Client dev team can get your changes from you, review, test, and add to the CVS Client for others to enjoy.

I was just thinking. How about arrow buttons each pointing in a direction that would make you just keep going in that direction until you clicked elsewhere. I think that would be a decent compromise.

I was just thinking. How about arrow buttons each pointing in a direction that would make you just keep going in that direction until you clicked elsewhere. I think that would be a decent compromise.

how about just using the cursor keys... so u can hold it down rather than keep clicking

Is it that hard to click on the mouse?

what if we click and hold the mouse button down rather than continually clicking?

* bangs head in desparation, points up to geelefs post *

I don't want to offend you, but this has been suggested a thousand times. It would create an insane amount of traffic. *Maybe* one can create it such that the client polls every <x> amount of time, and then sends the current desired location to the server. You'd have to take that up with Learner or Cicero though.

Submit a patch that allows the old and new methods of movement to work without flooding the server with packets, and we can work it in.

If Zooming out gives such a great advantage, then remove that advantage. See, first make it so where there are only two Zoom Levels; The current View and and a Second on from farther out. If viewing it from farther out gives a player more view of further around him then the finer details of his/her surroundings wouldn't be so clearer. Make it so the Farther View is mainly for walking only. Where details such as other Players' names, signs, Ore deposits, Flowers and items are viewable on a closer view of the screen, from higher up these things would not be as plainly visible. One would need to zoom in to do things such as Fight, Mine, Harvest, Trade, and even to see who is around them.

From a Higher View, the Map wouldn't be so detailed but Buildings and Players would still be viewable but with smaller sprites (but still large enough to view some detail) and they wouldn't have their Name or Health bar above them. To View them you'd need to click on the "Eye" Icon and click them to even see who they are.

Since we are talking about it.. is it true that mouses can indeed wearing from clicking too much.. and Entropy, I say you at least TRY holding the mouse, yeah it sounds like crap.. but I played a game and it worked PERFECT, I almost died whenever I first started playing EL and having to click so much because of this..

But one problem though, the player in that game was about 5 times smaller than the EL player is, so there was tons more room to use.. so it would prolly get annoying in EL, I dunno though..

I played Furcadia again a month ago, and hold the mouse down. It was overkill, my finger was numb after 5 minutes.

If you complain so much about walking, I guess you all have harvesting macros by now, um? :)