Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tater

Log-In Problem due to ATI Incompatibility? [SOLVED]

So I try to log on to EL 1.3.2 and everytime I do, the monitor switches off and I have to restart my PC. This is a new PC and it has an integrated ATI Radeon Express 200 and it has a 128MB RAM. I downloaded all the latest drivers but still nothing. Everything else seems to work and all my PC games work fine. Usually before I play any game I leave out most programs from my windows task manager. So only the basic stuff is running.

Other specs for my PC are: Windows XP Pro

512MB RAM DDR SDRAM

160GB HDD

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

Here's the error log:

Log started at 2006-10-02 01:20:59 localtime (Eastern Standard Time)

[04:21:05] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[04:21:05] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[04:21:05] Error: Can't open file "commands.lst"

[04:23:55] Unable to add command 21 - 2188

[04:23:55] Unable to add command 23 - 2188

[04:23:55] Unable to add command 22 - 2188

My internet connection is at 100mbps.Can this problem be solved?

Edited by Derin

Have you tried to run EL in windowed mode?

Go to your EL directory, find el.ini file, open it in any text editor and find this line:

#full_screen = 1

Change 1 to 0, save the file, and start EL.

Same Ati card that i use and you seem to be suffering the same trouble i had.

1st i had to update my ati drivers installing them from

Ati catalyst drivers https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...amp;folderID=27

After this I had to edit my el.config in the El directory, changing the Screen size (i changed it to the same resolution that my desktop is running in) turning on both poor man option (change the value to 0) i also had to turn on the ati bug fix there (change it to 1).

It had me baffled for quite some time. Strangly once the game started working i could turn poor man of in the options menu.

#video_mode = 10

#full_screen = 0

#poor_man = 1

#ati_click_workaround = 1

Of course instead of turning poor man on you can just go through all the varialbles, shadows, clouds, etc turning them of one by one till it starts to work :)

Hope this helps and to see you ingame soon :)

Same Ati card that i use and you seem to be suffering the same trouble i had.

1st i had to update my ati drivers installing them from

Ati catalyst drivers https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...amp;folderID=27

After this I had to edit my el.config in the El directory, changing the Screen size (i changed it to the same resolution that my desktop is running in) turning on both poor man option (change the value to 0) i also had to turn on the ati bug fix there (change it to 1).

It had me baffled for quite some time. Strangly once the game started working i could turn poor man of in the options menu.

#video_mode = 10

#full_screen = 0

#poor_man = 1

#ati_click_workaround = 1

Of course instead of turning poor man on you can just go through all the varialbles, shadows, clouds, etc turning them of one by one till it starts to work :)

Hope this helps and to see you ingame soon :)

I'm still having problems even though I set everything to minimum. I checked out the site u gave me but i already have the latest driver.

Yeah I do have the 6.9 and I've also tried what Thyralax told me to do at the control panel but it only worked for like a minute. When I rotated the camera, the FPS sky-rocketed from 35 FPS to 333FPS and it killed my PC. I tried limiting the FPS but it also doesnt work. Could it be that the problem is the high-speed connection that I have?

No, it couldn't be the connection.

And that is a weird bug... Whoever knows how the smeg to do the fps limiting, that would be nice.

I know with my GeForce, I can underclock/overclock it... if you're having issues like this, you might should underclock your ATi, if that's possible, at least until someone gets the limiting fps issue fixed.

As a last last resort... don't rotate the camera. Amazing what you can get done with EL as a chat client.

Edited by freeone3000

Only other solution i could think of is changing the 3d mode of the card it has caused me some troubles in the past

Start the catalyst control center

Graphics setting 3d

then clickc the advanced view settings of, and send the slider all the way down to performance over quality.

Other than that i am really out of ideas.

Well I give up. I've tried everything and I guess I can't play EL with this graphics card. I even tried the Omega driver that Learner suggested, but no good.

So I try to log on to EL 1.3.2 and everytime I do, the monitor switches off and I have to restart my PC. This is a new PC and it has an integrated ATI Radeon Express 200 and it has a 128MB RAM. I downloaded all the latest drivers but still nothing. Everything else seems to work and all my PC games work fine. Usually before I play any game I leave out most programs from my windows task manager. So only the basic stuff is running.

512MB RAM DDR SDRAM

160GB HDD

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

Here's the error log:

[04:21:05] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates132/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

I have a similar problem with a ati raedon xpress200.. is it by any chance an emachines?

also, that 100mbps isn't nessisarily ur connection speed. probably the speed ur connected to ur router.

512MB RAM DDR SDRAM

160GB HDD

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

Here's the error log:

I have a similar problem with a ati raedon xpress200.. is it by any chance an emachines?

also, that 100mbps isn't nessisarily ur connection speed. probably the speed ur connected to ur router.

Yup it's an eMachines, did u manage to solve this problem by any chance?

Ok, when exactly does the game crash? Do you manage to be in the game for a while?

if they are having the same problem i am having, i'd bet they are in the game for about 5-10 seconds, then the

screen goes black, and windows crashes. I am trying to compile a copy of the client to see if that fixes my

problem. If it does, i'll recommend doing that.

Yeah I'm also compiling the copy of the client as well, hope this works.

Ent to answer your question, as soon as i log on, I have to minimize the wondow immedeately and when i bring it up again i press F1 and thats the only I can manage to stay on EL. As soon as i turn off chat mode, windows crashes.

512MB RAM DDR SDRAM

160GB HDD

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

Here's the error log:

Yup it's an eMachines, did u manage to solve this problem by any chance?

Not yet. :D

Ok, when exactly does the game crash? Do you manage to be in the game for a while?

if they are having the same problem i am having, i'd bet they are in the game for about 5-10 seconds, then the

screen goes black, and windows crashes. I am trying to compile a copy of the client to see if that fixes my

problem. If it does, i'll recommend doing that.

Yup, exactly the same. However I have this other computer to play on. :blink:

yeah I have the same driver and problem. I made a seperate thread about it a few days ago but haven't gotten much response. If you're like me you get in have your comp freeze, then get a big black screen after about 2-5 seconds. I've learned that you can actually mix stuff and do a little more than just sit there if you go to secluded storages, but even there now I'm having trouble. I can't even get on anymore at all because it's always black

If you go to the console mode (the ` key), type #glinfo and please post here the first two strings (video card and driver). Ignore the extensions.

If you go to the console mode (the ` key), type #glinfo and please post here the first two strings (video card and driver). Ignore the extensions.

This is what my #glinfo response was:

Video card: RADEON XPRESS Series x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

Yeah I'm also compiling the copy of the client as well, hope this works.
does the -DATI_9200_FIX define in Makefile.* fix it for you?

that as well as some other fixes go into my 'workaround' client for the windows people (see my sig), hopefully that'll solve it... unfortunately without knowing the exact thing that causes the lockup, it's hard to diagnose(except that, if it can cause your computer to lock up, etc, the card and/or drivers are at fault... we can only try to workaround their bugs)

Have a look at this. It may explain things a bit. Maybe not.

http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stab...esults.html#ATI

Could be that the Radeon Xpress 200 series cards overheat easily. Are you using a laptop? Some of my suggestions may be difficult to try if so.

Use notepad on el.ini to try setting limit_fps to less than 5, using a small window (640x480) not in full screen. Also enable v-sync in your video driver's options if you can.

If this solves things I would:

• see if you can underclock your GPU
  • Improve the cooling on your video card. You can do this by buying aftermarket fans or cooling fins, or in extreme cases of dust contamination by getting your PC case cleaned.

I've used after market cooling to resolve video card stability in the past. One card in particular required passive cooling on memory chips AND a good fan on the GPU. Solution cost was < $30 CDN.

A success story from the site I mentioned:

Success story

Just wanted to tell you that all my games were locking up after about 10 minutes.

So I ran your stability test and it declared "failed" in 1 second.

I reduced the core clock from 275 to 250, and memory from 550 to 520, on the video card.

Your stability tester didnt hang for 5 mins.

I then took out my video card and removed collected dust from the cooling fan etc.

Then I reset the core and memory back to normal (275 & 550) and VOILA !T

The stability test is still running now at 15 minutes.

I just wanted to let you know that cleaning the cooling system of a video card can be a MAJOR factor in the stability test failing, or not failing.

Riff

Edited by emajekral

The benchmark only tells us your relative performance.

Try the stability test - Press start and stop when the render starts to get corrupted. It'll show whether it is a CPU/GPU stability issue that is causing EL to crash. You should be able to run for 10 minutes or more. Have a look at the FAQ for a few more details.

What the program there does not tell you is how you video card will perform with OpenGL, only with DirectX. It's not actually a very good benchmark. I only suggested it to see if the crashing could be narrowed down to a hardware problem and not a driver/EL problem.

Edited by emajekral

The benchmark only tells us your relative performance.

Try the stability test - Press start and stop when the render starts to get corrupted. It'll show whether it is a CPU/GPU stability issue that is causing EL to crash. You should be able to run for 10 minutes or more. Have a look at the FAQ for a few more details.

What the program there does not tell you is how you video card will perform with OpenGL, only with DirectX. It's not actually a very good benchmark. I only suggested it to see if the crashing could be narrowed down to a hardware problem and not a driver/EL problem.

I play a game on my computer called, Tomb of Fulaos. It is supposed to use OpenGL for its graphics, not sure how

true this is. But it runs just fine without crashing, and I average 60-100 FPS in it. Other games, Doom3, UT2k4,

COD, COD2, and a few others that are graphics intensive, play just fine with all the top settings, most are around

30-45 fps. I can't understand why EL has to give me the lockups tho, lol.