Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
goatsgomoo

Security For Eveybody's Favorite Os!

well, my dad recently gave me Doom 3, but the problem is, if i don't get a 3.7 GPA, he will uninstall it. So, how would i password protect the program from being uninstalled? I'm thinking of making another account, giving it a password, and give it all the rights to install/uninstall programs, and take those rights away from my account that I'm going to use. But... how could I do that? Oh yeah, and if you say "Get Linux", can you at least tell me how to get it and still have it so that i can use everybody's favorite OS when I want to?

PS: everybody's favorite OS is Windows XP Home....

PS: everybody's favorite OS is Windows XP Home....

Mine isn't.

The obvious solution is to send me your copy of Doom 3 so I can protect it for you.

it might be easier to just get teh 3.7

My thoughts exactly. ;)

try to delete all registry of doom and hide the folder or the drive

Thats the worst idea possible. You'll f**k up the installation.

There is software to password,hide and encrypt folders, most of it free. Then all you have to do i remove the program groups, simple!

I'm in agreement with fred. Of course, i don't think they let you play Doom III in jail. If your parents are anything like mine, just wait for him to uninstall it (hide your save files of course) and then reinstall it into some obscure file where he would never look. Then just delete any desktop icons or short cuts and delete it from the start menu. You'll have to click through all the folders and subfolders to find it. But, with any luck, your dad will never know you reinstalled it. Then just place your save files back into the proper folders and you're good to go. (i've done this a few times :) . So if your parents are as computer illiterate as mine, you'll have your game and your 2.7

fred: lmao :P

moo: Ask google on how to hide programs from the add/remove programs? Then remove the entries from the start menu I guess...

But personally I find it funny that they buy Doom 3, and then tell you to get a GPA of 3.7 to keep it, which basically prevents you from gaming - I love the evil intentions :)

Anyway, might teach you a thing or 2 about life - and if you fail to hide it from your parents it'll teach you a thing or 2 about your favorite OS :)...

...moo: Ask google on how to hide programs from the add/remove programs? Then remove the entries from the start menu I guess... ...

That is defined in the registry. Its easy to remove and reletively safe.

Get 3.7 son, if you dad will see that you don't have 3.7 and doom is not on HD he will surely know you

did something nasty, on his place, if I wouldn't find what, I'd do format C: and reinstall windoze. ;D

Regards.

I'm in agreement with fred. Of course, i don't think they let you play Doom III in jail. If your parents are anything like mine, just wait for him to uninstall it (hide your save files of course) and then reinstall it into some obscure file where he would never look. Then just delete any desktop icons or short cuts and delete it from the start menu. You'll have to click through all the folders and subfolders to find it. But, with any luck, your dad will never know you reinstalled it. Then just place your save files back into the proper folders and you're good to go. (i've done this a few times :) . So if your parents are as computer illiterate as mine, you'll have your game and your 2.7

well, my parents arent computer illiterate, my mom works at BAE Systems coding stuff for the government (in java, of course :P ) and my dad is a tech writer, so he's not either. and my parents aren't like yours. they would take away the discs too -_- well i guess ill just burn a copy of all 3 CDs.... and do my homework.... (btw, i'd prolly get a 3.6, not a 2.7... maybe 3 at the least)

If you parents aren't computer illiterate they will surely:

- Find out they don't have administrat0r priviledges.

or:

- Game is installed somewhere. Especially this is three CDs. ;D

Regards.

If you parents aren't computer illiterate they will surely:

- Find out they don't have administrat0r priviledges.

or:

- Game is installed somewhere. Especially this is three CDs. ;D

Regards.

well... i have only 1 account, theres no password, and it has adminstator privalges.

and...about the CDs... ill burn them when there not at home, then hide them somewhere in my room... and if i do make it so that its impossible to uninstall it, they'll prolly take my comp hostage until i uninstall it :)

Just do your homework, and don't forget to go in often to ask your parents for help on it. If they see that you're making an earnest effort to keep your grades up, they might let a 3.6 slide. Then again, they might not. Your parents probably aren't like my mom, heh.

No no no... Doom 3 probably has copy protection. What you need to do is...

1. Go to a crack site/p2p net and get a no-cd crack

2. Bribe your teacher/change your grades

3. Password protect your account for CRYING OUT LOUD!

4. Remove network sharing (if you have it).

5. Move to an easier school.

6. Drop school.

7. Give me $20 bucks. It's good luck to give Keknehv $20

8. Better yet, give me $40 bucks. It's UBER good luck to give me $40

9. Please pause for a brief intermission.

Dah dah dah dah dah dah! Dah...

10. Still with me? Good.

11. Reformat your HD and install Windo($/z/s)e, leaving 30 gigs empty. Get Red Hat Linux on 20 gigs, a FAT32 partition on the remaining 10 gigs. (Linux [WOOH!] can't read NTFS.

12. Install Doom on the linux. Give your root passcode to NO ONE.

13. Modify your bios to require a password on boot-up,

14. Give me $20 bucks and I'll get you the 3 disks of Red Hat linux.

15. Stay Tuned...

Prevent everyone but yourself from accessing the computer by passwording protecting all accounts.

Don't forget to log into safe mode and password the hidden administrator account too :)

Then just say that a virus was installed and it locked you out fo the whole system :blink:

Oh yeah...i gyess if you dad is semi computer literate he could get some boot up scritps to wipe the passwords...ummm....yeah...

Get Linux...Slackware 10.0 :)

http://www.linuxquestions.org :blink:

Linux [WOOH!] can't read NTFS.

Um, yeah it can.

And if you have ntfs.sys you can write to it as well... But who uses ntfs in these ReiserFS days?

Linux [WOOH!] can't read NTFS.

Um, yeah it can.

2.6 can even write on it. Therefore 2.6 is for windoze fans. ;-)

Regards.

2.6 can even write on it. Therefore 2.6 is for windoze fans. ;-)

Regards.

Only if the file size doesn't change - it's not even NEAR stable... That's why I said ntfs.sys - you need to use capture-ntfs to make it usable (but even then it'll just be as bad as in Windows ;-)).

writing to ntfs is like skateboarding downhill on gravel blindfolded

Try it sometime. It's fun :P (The skateboarding downhill blindfolded, I mean).