Eternal Lands Official Forums
Erdie

Sound code correction suggestion

Dear all,

I recently restarted playing EL. As you probably remember I contributed as a sound designer many years ago. I would like to continue to work on improvements. But first of all there is code change I would like to suggest:

Mono sound files played by the game engine are mapped to the stereo panorama depending on the angle between the game actor and the relative direction of the actor and the sound source. Since this angle is not identical to the users/camera perspective it produces misleading results.

For instance:

If the actors face points to the camera, a sound source (e.g. monster) on the left side of the actor is played from the right side (loudspeaker/headset). IMHO it would be MUCH better if the spatial reference of sound is the camera angle and not the actor angle.

If you agree with this I would like to ask if someone could support me to change this because I have only basic C programming skills. After this is working I would like to continue working on sound improvements maybe via a separate sound file git repo for the ogg files. What is your opinion?

regards

Erdie

Edited by Erdie

Hi Erdie, nice to hear from you again.  I guess its all about the perspective you are looking to have.  Its currently the character, you're suggesting to change it to the person behind the keyboard.  That makes sense to me too.  I have no idea how we would need to change the code to do that but I'm willing to give it a try.  Perhaps we could make the switch optional, I have no idea if that is possible but it should be.

Hi Bluap, thank you for your reply :) I am sure that nobody will miss the old behavior once it is changed but nevertheless, a switch would be nice. I asked for that long, long ago and at that time Roja said to me that this is not possibe because the server has no information about the camera angle. I can´t believe that, because the client places the mono samples into the panorama by mixing between the channels left/right and the client actuall must know the angle of the camera since it renders the video output. But when investigating the souce code I still have not found where the direction of mono sounds is passed to the sound library. Actually I have no idea how it works.

BTW: Is there a place within LNX for me?

Even if the server is giving directional information for that sound, I think it should be possible for it then to be modified based on camera rotation vs player orientation. Just need to have someone look into how the client is handling the sounds in detail.

21 hours ago, Erdie said:

BTW: Is there a place within LNX for me?

Of course. You just need to catch someone online.