Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DinkyDee

Ranging in WV

Just now realized that the new update made it so we can't pin and shoot from the catwalks any more. Can we gc sinking, rost poofing rangers have the only real training spot in the game for this skill back, please? Because otherwise we're pretty much reduced to pvp training on guild maps.

And if you really begrudge me my 5k xp/hr and the answer is no, then cool, in a way it helps me since no one will ever catch up to me in the rankings, but really, it might be nice of you to throw a bone to the rangers in the game, no? Even the other GC sink skills are at least trainable, can't ranging remain trainable as well?

I second that, I no longer use this map really but in my early ranging days I have made over 15 levels there. It was great map to range and practically the only one suitable for optimal levelling in ranging from mid 20's up. As DinkyDee said, exp was poor, drops even poorer (10% used arrows value) but shooting cockas from catwalks was fun. Please consider putting it back for next generations of rangers.

I have never ranged in Wv, so could you please explain to myself and others who might be ignorant about it, what has changed ?

I have never ranged in Wv, so could you please explain to myself and others who might be ignorant about it, what has changed ?

I never never ranged at all :confused: ...but im also curious to know exactly what the issue now is? u cant see monsters from catwalk anymore? or the dont 'pin' anymore?

Do you guys mean that the monster got stuck in one spot because it wanted to attack you but it couldn't get to you? If so I hope you all realize how that was a bug...

Roja, I believe you should discuss this with Radu and mods. So-called "pinning" of creatures is in common use during all invasions, and has been in game long ago before ranging (mages were using it before rangers). Moreover, Radu and mods were purposefuly spawning creatures in Bethel during invasions to allow rangers to shoot them from cliffs. I do not know if you realize that for an average ranger it takes over 1000 arrows to kill an invasion dragon and if the dragon is not pinned they have virtually no chance against it. Cockatrice takes roughly 100 arrows fyi. I'd say disallowing rangers to shoot creatures that are "pinned" will put the end to this skill since it will lose its purpose (unless other changes are introduced to compensate that).

[...]for an average ranger it takes over 1000 arrows to kill an invasion dragon and if the dragon is not pinned they have virtually no chance against it.

Ranging is in game relatively short and you guys want to have a right to safely shoot and kill dragons already?

Melee fighters had to sacrifise way more time training their chars, they have to use the best equipment and still they risk their rostos and equipment. I never liked the 'pinning' feature, makes things way too unbalanced. shoot&run!

Actually, I am pretty sure I didn't touch the code responsible for the pinning of monsters, so I don't think I understand what your problem is.

Do you guys mean that the monster got stuck in one spot because it wanted to attack you but it couldn't get to you? If so I hope you all realize how that was a bug...

A while ago, I posted about it in the bugs forum.. was afraid to use it if it was a bug, because it might be exploiting and I'd get banzored.. my reply was essentially "No, its not a bug, and its not going to make you rich, so don't worry about it"

As I understand what DinkyDee said is that previously he was able to stand on a catwalk and shoot pinned cockatrice. Since the update he is getting either "too close" or "no line of sight" message when cockatrice stands pinned just by the catwalk, no matter where he is on the catwalk. See chatlog below:

[10:42:35] [PM from DinkyDee: no more ranging in WV :/]

[10:42:59] [PM to DinkyDee: what happened ?]

[10:43:23] [PM from DinkyDee: you can pin but you can't get a shot off from the catwalks any more]

[10:44:06] [PM from DinkyDee: it gives you "too close" or "no line.."]

I haven't tested that personally, I will go and check later today.

Could there possibly other places like that? I remember getting 2-3k per hour at ogres in ida (But no one has been there the last time i went to try ranging to kill em when the wander outa view) But im not a top ranger so what do i know.

[...]for an average ranger it takes over 1000 arrows to kill an invasion dragon and if the dragon is not pinned they have virtually no chance against it.

Ranging is in game relatively short and you guys want to have a right to safely shoot and kill dragons already?

Melee fighters had to sacrifise way more time training their chars, they have to use the best equipment and still they risk their rostos and equipment. I never liked the 'pinning' feature, makes things way too unbalanced. shoot&run!

First try it, then post. "The right to safely shoot" requires pinning which consumes a lot of rostos sometimes. Shooting consumes so much gc's that is not profitable in majority of cases. I wonder if you've noticed that since ranging was introduced a number of giants and dragons in invasions has massively increased.

Where were you and other fighters during this day below? :

med_gallery_42755_88_98164.jpg

Without "safe shooting" clearing many invasions would be virtually impossible.

I belive that such invasions exist because there's possibility to shoot safely,

so without such possibility such invasions wouldnt happend or be very limited.

Safe shooting is a cause, not a solution.

The reason is that ranging exist and it is great gold sink. To use tonnes of arrows, tonnes of targets are needed, no ? No shooting, no gc sink, simple.

Going back to topic, I was unable to test. I was trying to pin the cocka but fighters came and serped it :-P I guess it needs to wait for DinkyDee to connfirm what the problem exactly is.

Actually, I am pretty sure I didn't touch the code responsible for the pinning of monsters, so I don't think I understand what your problem is.

That's very odd, then. I'll try it again, but I wasn't able to get a shot off when I went to train in my usual spot, a place where I've shot from many, many times. I'll try again, but it sure looked like something had been changed.

As I understand what DinkyDee said is that previously he was able to stand on a catwalk and shoot pinned cockatrice. Since the update he is getting either "too close" or "no line of sight" message when cockatrice stands pinned just by the catwalk, no matter where he is on the catwalk. See chatlog below:

[10:42:35] [PM from DinkyDee: no more ranging in WV :/]

[10:42:59] [PM to DinkyDee: what happened ?]

[10:43:23] [PM from DinkyDee: you can pin but you can't get a shot off from the catwalks any more]

[10:44:06] [PM from DinkyDee: it gives you "too close" or "no line.."]

I haven't tested that personally, I will go and check later today.

It actually was a chim that I pinned, in a few different spots. In a little bit I'll go try some trice and see if maybe those still work.

K, sry - I guess I'm just having a really bad streak of weird random luck, because on further testing it seems nothing has changed, but they just happen to be walking into the few blind spots where you can't get a shot off at them. Thank you, drive thru.