Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Coolkid_08

NO SOUND! by coolkid_08

Hi everybody I am writing to let you know that i have Downloaded the sound file 4 times and it still doesn't work,Any help guys? ;)

Edited by Aislinn

when you have downloaded the sounds, you need to unzip the file into your eternal lands folder.

If you run windows and used regular install youll find this in program files/eternal lands

The sound files should make a folder called sounds which is where the files will go. And then when you start el next, head to ctrl and o, sounds and activate the options.

Make sure you are unzipping the files to the correct EL folder, you have two of them. It needs to go to the one in your Program filles, NOT the one in My Documents.

Also many zip programs, in windows will 'extract to' creating a directory from the file name so

you end up with \sound\sound\atmosphere-spooky01.ogg

Make sure the path is(in windows): \Program Files\Eternal Lands\sound\

With the OGG files showing this path:

\Program Files\Eternal Lands\sound\atmosphere-spooky01.ogg

and so on.

Also make sure in settings, Enable Sound Effects is checked

and Disable Sound and Music System is unchecked.

(yes they don't toggle :/)

[/i]Also make sure in settings, Enable Sound Effects is checked

In what regards? Each of those options toggles (either checked or unchecked) independently.

[/i]Also make sure in settings, Enable Sound Effects is checked

In what regards? Each of those options toggles (either checked or unchecked) independently.

Yes, therefore you can enable sound effects and check Disable Sound and Music System

at the same time. Enable Sound Effects should clear Disable Sound and Music System. I never

looked at the code, I'm just commenting on a confusing element in the audio config.

It seems odd to have an enable option and a disable option,

We have.

#disable_sound= 0

but then we have:

Set enable_sound to 1 to turn on sound effects, or to 0 if you don't want the EL client to take 
over your sound card, or if you have sound problems that might crash the client.
#enable_sound= 0

Shouldn't #enable_sound do on 0, of the boolean 1/0 that #disable_sound= 0 ?

What happens here? #enable_sound= 1 ; #disable_sound= 1

I never looked at the code, I'm just commenting on a confusing element in the audio config.

It seems odd to have an enable option and a disable option,

Sure, but that is because they are _very_ different things.

We have.

#disable_sound= 0

but then we have:

Set enable_sound to 1 to turn on sound effects, or to 0 if you don't want the EL client to take 
over your sound card, or if you have sound problems that might crash the client.
#enable_sound= 0

Shouldn't #enable_sound do on 0, of the boolean 1/0 that #disable_sound= 0 ?

Ahuh! What you are looking at is a _very_ old definition in the INI file. Someone was meant to tidy those up a couple of releases ago. I was going to take a look but got way too busy so I guess it never really happened.

Basically, disable_sound does exactly the same as compiling the client without NEW_SOUND. It completely removes all processing of the sound code, mostly to speed the client up if necessary.

enable_sound, is the same as enable_music... it simply starts them playing. Even when they are off they are still processing everything, and have the devices initialised etc so as to be able to start playing correctly the instant you tick that box.

Therefore, it is feasible to want to have your sound settings saved, but disable that part of code momentarily if desired, which is why they are independently toggled.

Sure, but that is because they are _very_ different things.

One is the sound system itself and one is starting a type of sound within the system?

So different you can pick both options? I know I'm nitpicking, but this is confusing from

a end user point of view. I never assume end user logic, I always ask "Is it plugged in?" :pickaxe:

logicfailed.jpg

"User: Gah it won't work I have it enabled!~!1"

Ahuh! What you are looking at is a _very_ old definition in the INI file. Someone was meant to tidy those up a couple of releases ago. I was going to take a look but got way too busy so I guess it never really happened.

So can I delete this ini and have a new one generated. My current one has a massive number of 'newlines' or

just wait until the next major client update coming soon.

Basically, disable_sound does exactly the same as compiling the client without NEW_SOUND. It completely removes all processing of the sound code, mostly to speed the client up if necessary.

enable_sound, is the same as enable_music... it simply starts them playing. Even when they are off they are still processing everything, and have the devices initialised etc so as to be able to start playing correctly the instant you tick that box.

Therefore, it is feasible to want to have your sound settings saved, but disable that part of code momentarily if desired, which is why they are independently toggled.

Should it be "Start Sound Effects"? Instead since they are enabled by Unchecking Disable :)

So maybe:

• Enable Sound and Music System
  • Start? Sound Effects (Since it does not enable it only begins playing them)

And if you select "Start" it checks Enable Sound... in the same move?

I know, you wanna kill me now. :D But you asked :) I am willing to assume

clunky-ness and move on.

One is the sound system itself and one is starting a type of sound within the system?

Not quite. I guess a better way of saying it is - one is the sound system as a whole (logic processing, timing, etc) and the other is the physical sound driver connections.

So different you can pick both options? I know I'm nitpicking, but this is confusing from

a end user point of view. I never assume end user logic, I always ask "Is it plugged in?" :)

<snip>

"User: Gah it won't work I have it enabled!~!1"

Yes, this is a point for confusion, but at the same time, I hate having something turn off other options (from my "defaults") just because I want to temporarily disable it.

A better way to display this would be to "grey out" those options when the "master switch" is ticked. Unfortunately, that function hasn't been coded into the widgets and so it is as it is for now.

So can I delete this ini and have a new one generated. My current one has a massive number of 'newlines' or

just wait until the next major client update coming soon.

Well... technically you should be able to delete the ini file and the client will attempt to create a new one, but it will not contain any descriptions for items, simply the settings. Also, in attempting to create a new one it might not be able to find your data directory (for example) and hence wouldn't work at all.

All the descriptions in the ini file were written into a "master" ini file years ago and very little has changed in the last couple of years. As I said, it was meant to be revamped, but never got finished.

Should it be "Start Sound Effects"? Instead since they are enabled by Unchecking Disable :P

So maybe:

• Enable Sound and Music System
  • Start? Sound Effects (Since it does not enable it only begins playing them)

And if you select "Start" it checks Enable Sound... in the same move?

Well that depends on how you look at it. By start do you mean "start processing the sound system" or do you mean "start playing the sounds through the speakers".

Either option could be considered "starting" the system, and either option could be "enabling" part of the system.

Rewording it won't help to explain the options in any other way.

I know, you wanna kill me now. :P But you asked :P I am willing to assume

clunky-ness and move on.

Not at all.

I agree with you, it is confusing, but the reason it is confusing is because the "correct" method for displaying this (greying out the options) is not available in the client at this time.

But yes, we should stop hijacking this thread. Feel free to PM me if you wish to chat more.

/edit: Reformatted the post slightly.

Edited by Torg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this