Eternal Lands Official Forums
Rayna

Black Screen after entering cave and re install

Nividia geforce 6600

Tonight when i entered a cave on c2 my screen went black. I tried suicide and still black screen.

installed the last install, and now the screen is a dull purple.

all windows open etc. Just no environment.

Im afraid to delete all and loose my character.

I searched the bugs here and didnt find this, however I know this happened a couple weeks ago to some one else, and had hoped the answer would be here.

I can use the test server client and everything is fine... Perhaps that will help?

thanks, anxious to get back to play.

Look at your "Maximum Viewing Distance" somewhere in the video options. It should be between 50 and 200.

If it doesn't come from that, delete your el.ini in your configuration folder for the main server.

So it would be a problem with the camera that is stuck somewhere when changing map? Interesting... I'll have a look at it.

Does deleting your el.cfg file help? It will be located in your personal settings directory, the one printed to the console when you start the client. The file is harmless to delete, it will just reset your window locations, inventory amount values and banner options, and crucially your camera position.

Well what i did was make a copy of the docs file, then uninstall, and install again.

Then set view to 800x600 and i was invisible, shut down and restarted and im fine.

I did to a little test and put the dup docs file back in and was back to the colored scree.

so i will go ahead and move the dup back in again, and then try the steps above just to check that out?

Be back in a bit....

Oh, and thanks for your help :)

Alt f didnt do anything, except add a bunch of ffff to the screen, and changing the camera per didnt do anything...

However, deleting the config, did the trick! Much easier then what i went through last night.

Perhaps we could get that stickied for a bit until its fixed?

And if there is a bug log for the wonderful mods of el to read, maybe post it there too?

Thanks again

Edited by Rayna

Alt f didnt do anything, except add a bunch of ffff to the screen, and changing the camera per didnt do anything...

However, deleting the config, did the trick! Much easier then what i went through last night.

Perhaps we could get that stickied for a bit until its fixed?

And if there is a bug log for the wonderful mods of el to read, maybe post it there too?

Thanks again

Search works too:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43108

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43109

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13949

etc.

So it would be a problem with the camera that is stuck somewhere when changing map? Interesting... I'll have a look at it.

The best way to fix this would be to put the camera back in a sane position if the data loaded from the .cfg is somehow invalid. I was planning to do this for the new map editor, but if you want to have a go at it, I'm not gonna stop you.

I've looked at the camera code and I haven't seen any reason for that bug. When your actor is sent by the server (so when you login, teleport, change map, etc...), the position of the camera is reseted to the position of the char. So if a bug there is, it can't be related to the position of the camera.

So maybe it's a problem in the zoom level or something... It would be interesting if someone could provide a bugged el.cfg file in order we can look at the values that are stored in it...

Vegar, your fix should work for the moment but as I don't know where those values are saved, I let you do it. :P

I've looked at the camera code and I haven't seen any reason for that bug. When your actor is sent by the server (so when you login, teleport, change map, etc...), the position of the camera is reseted to the position of the char. So if a bug there is, it can't be related to the position of the camera.

So maybe it's a problem in the zoom level or something... It would be interesting if someone could provide a bugged el.cfg file in order we can look at the values that are stored in it...

Vegar, your fix should work for the moment but as I don't know where those values are saved, I let you do it. :D

I was talking about the camera rotation and zoom, but it looks like clamp_camera() takes care of that.

(the values are read/written by the *_bin_cfg() functions in init.c)

I was talking about the camera rotation and zoom, but it looks like clamp_camera() takes care of that.

clamp_camera() is testing values but if a value is nan then the result of the tests is totally unpredictable...

I've just fixed a dangerous division in the auto zoom option of the extended camera feature. So if the people who had this bug were using this option, it was maybe due to that...