Eternal Lands Official Forums
DogBreath

Request for new protocol to support storage bot code

I've been working on storage bot code lately and realized the need for something like GET_ITEM_CATEGORY...

The reason for this would be to save the effort of asking the server for the entire storage again after making a trade. When you get a new trade item, it doesn't have the storeage category and if you want to save that category, or update that category, you'd have to do the entire storage request again (or at least request that category again, if you can figure out which one changed...) This is especially an issue if you get an item that's not already in storage, then you have no idea what category it goes into... I realize there's a category message sent for the last category touched, but that doesn't really help if you've touched more than one category...

The only way to do this now is to ask the server for it all over again and I'd rather not put it throught that, if I don't have to, lol :lipssealed:

For now, I'm working around it by just setting the storage category to -1. It ends up looking ugly.

If it's a huge effort, no worries...

Thanks,

DogBreath

EDIT: if I'm completely confused here, could someone please set me straight?

Edited by DogBreath

Not wanting to shamelessly bump this, but was wondering if anyone had time to consider this? There seems to be a lot of interest stirring for this code/service and I'd like to be sure it's as efficient as possible.

If this happens to be in the wrong forum section (maybe it should be in programming?) could someone move it for me please?

Heh. Almost better would be a set of commands specifically for controlling bots and Entropy could charge us $30/year instead of $20 if we want to have access to them.

:)

The code that you need for controlling bots is essentially modified versions of the client code at the moment and it is far from efficient for a bot interface since you have to handle a bunch of details.

Another idea is for a programmer to come up with a wrapper class for the different languages, but it would be simpler overall if it was an EL server handling the stuff. One server could handle the bots and future Artificial Intelligence for critters. Oh wait. I think I have said this all before. lol Sorry, I ramble from time to time.

Anyways, I agree, the less bandwidth that the ever-increasing amount of bots need to suck from the server, the better.

There are only 2 bots ingame allowed to use storage, unless you refer to the allowed twice weekly trip to storage.

If that is the case wouldn't it make more sense just to walk the bot to storage and do it manually?

There are only 2 bots ingame allowed to use storage, unless you refer to the allowed twice weekly trip to storage.

If that is the case wouldn't it make more sense just to walk the bot to storage and do it manually?

I'm not sure this is an accurate assessment. You might be thinking about 'merchant' bots that can access storage (I understand that's normally not allowed.) But, as for a 'storage' bot (guild storage), I thought it could access storage if you had stable code for doing so (that was approved by ent...) At least that's my understanding. Time constraints are invovled of course (can't be logged on for more than short bursts, 5 min I thought was the generally accepted rule.)

Of course it's possible I'm wildly misinterrepeting things here (clarity would be nice if that's true, please...)