Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Update Instructions

This thread is mainly for the Windows users, since the other OSes already store the info in the /home/ directory, separated from the binary.

First, if the downloads are slow, you can try Learner's mirrors:

http://www.eternal-lands.us/downloads/el_150_install.exe

http://www.eternal-lands.us/downloads/el_sound_150.zip (optional sounds)

http://www.eternal-lands.us/downloads/el_osx-1.5.0a1.zip (Intel OSX)

http://www.eternal-lands.us/downloads/elc_150_linux.zip (Linux 32/64 bit)

Now, we assume you install it in the default directory: "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands"

If you do not, before running el.exe for the first time, make sure to change the line: #data_dir = "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands" in the el.ini to point to the directory where you installed it.

This is not REALLY necessary, but it is a good idea to do so.

Until now, all the logs and other user specific files were saved in the same directory where the client is.

From now on, they will be loaded and saved from some other path, which varies across windows verison, language, user name, etc. When you start the client, that path will be displayed, so make a note of it.

After you write it down somewhere, close the client, and copy the logs and counters and spells and whatever else you want to preserve to the new path.

Again, you don't have to do it, only if you want to preserve your data.

After you first start the client, it will copy your el.ini in that directory, and you will need to modify it there, in case you want to manually change stuff.

The server address and port are no longer taken from the el.ini file, instead they are in servers.lst

To change the server (like, going on the test server) you will need to start the client such as: el.exe test

To go on the main server, you do not need to do anything, simply start the client.

I know that some information here might be confusing for some people, so if you have trouble understanding stuff, ask, and perhaps someone else can explain it better than I did.

Along with the above information, here is a brief list of the types of data files you may wish to copy to the new location:

* chat_log.txt (your chat log history)

* <map_name>.elm.txt (your personal map mark files. There are two sets: cont2<map>.elm.txt and <map>.elm.txt so be sure to copy both sets) Note: these are copied to a sub-directory (for example: "C:\Documents and Settings\<your_login>\My Documents\Eternal Lands\main\maps") which you'll need to create if it doesn't already exist.

* counters_<char_name>.dat (counter files)

* global_filters.txt (global filters IF you've made any changes to them)

* local_ignores.txt (character/bot ignore list)

* spells_<char_name>.dat (magic spells quickbar data)

Be aware that if you have multiple characters/alts there will be multiple copes of some of the above files, one per character (so be sure to copy them all).

Edited by bkc56

do we delete old el we are currently using before installing this new one ?

It is not necessary, but it is best if you delete it (after you got your files).

I am having a problem with the EL folder where you edit the things manually, it's NOT saving, and I can NOT play the game as it's WAY too big!!!!

... and I can NOT play the game as it's WAY too big!!!!
I'm a little unclear on this commend as (when I check them on my disk) the new el.exe is actually a bit smaller than the old one. Of course that doesn't include dynamic memory usage, but still it doesn't look like it's taken a big jump in size.

I am having a problem with the EL folder where you edit the things manually, it's NOT saving, and I can NOT play the game as it's WAY too big!!!!

Assuming your using windows go to doc/settings find el folder open open main open config file change vid to 4 save restart el this should work :)

It is taking quite a long time to download this file, 2+ hours... and i'm on a broadband net connection, and trying the us mirror any reason why?

Yes, I have a very good idea why: People didn't predownload the update, so now everyone is downloading at the same time, which was exactly what I was trying to avoid when I released the client a week ago.

Wait, or try the other mirror.

I actually got everything downloaded and in the right areas (thank you Scorpius), but my sound does not work for some reason? c/program files/eternal lands/sounds.........that's where all the sounds are, but they dont work in game. I did enable sounds and re-start the game.

Did i do something wrong?

And before you ask, i have no idea what my sound card is (if someone knows how i can find out, ty), but I will say i can listen to music and use voice chat systems on here, and this is a new computer ; 2-3 months old.

Any suggestions?

Thank you :evilgrin:

OMG!! i figured it out, some speaker thingy on my toolbar on the bottom of my computer....can't explain it, but the sound was all the way down!!

Coolzies !!

Edited by Bernie

I am having trouble with my sound. I had sound issues when I installed, but it wasn't fresh copy of El. So I deleted my old and started afresh, but still have problems. I also went into config file and changed it to 1 for sounds. When I load up EL I have

"Error opening sound configuration file"

When I go to audio in the setting window I click enable music it gives me error opening sound configuration file.

When I click enable sounds effects, EL crashes.

Misc info if it helps: When I was trying to get sounds before I deleted EL and reinstalled, I didnt get anything when I opened my client and clicked to enable sounds, and it didnt crash. Then I started another client for my other character and the music actually worked. I clicked it off and wasnt able to get it back again

Edited by LevinMage

The data directory in el.ini (in your /home/ or wherever it is for your OS) needs to point to where the game is installed, or else the sound won't work.

please could someone upload the el_150_installer.exe in rapidshare or another mirrors?

it is impossible to download the game! i have good internet connection but the download keeps stoping all the time...

tell ppl to download the game just 2~3 hours before the update wasnt a good idea...

please could someone upload the el_150_installer.exe in rapidshare or another mirrors?

it is impossible to download the game! i have good internet connection but the download keeps stoping all the time...

tell ppl to download the game just 2~3 hours before the update wasnt a good idea...

The download has been available for a week, see the PReDownload Thread in the Forums, General section

Y'all should have listened to radu when he kept saying pre-download the file before the update. Mine was downloaded in no more than 10 minutes. :evilgrin:

The data directory in el.ini (in your /home/ or wherever it is for your OS) needs to point to where the game is installed, or else the sound won't work.

I didnt have that correct so I changed it to the correct directory. However, still getting the error message of "error opening sound configuration file" upon load up.

Here is a list of the things I have done:

Deleted program file EL and the one in my documents.

Reinstalled the EL program.

Unzipped the music into the music folder in the EL Program directory folder

I just updated all sound drivers for my sound card *Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (B400)

Went into the EL (config icon) and changed the data from the default to where I have EL now

... anything else I should be doing. I can take a video of what I have done if I need to.

Edited by LevinMage

Here is a list of the things I have done:

Deleted program file EL and the one in my documents.

Reinstalled the EL program.

Unzipped the music into the music folder in the EL Program directory folder

I just updated all sound drivers for my sound card *Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (B400)

Went into the EL (config icon) and changed the data from the default to where I have EL now

... anything else I should be doing. I can take a video of what I have done if I need to.

You forgot to download the sounds!

Sounds and music are two different things (both worth the download, though).

I must be an idiot today. Looking at the eternal-lands.com page I went to music and downloaded the music full file (66 mb) I then unzipped it into the music folder in the EL directory folder. Is there another sound thing I need to download?

Ok, that seemed to be my problem and everything is working perfectly now. I don't know where my head was today, but maybe all the excitement of the new update was just too much for me to handle and I wasn't able to follow the directions. ;p

Edited by LevinMage

One quick question.. I obviousled installed it wrong how I don't know.. so I uninstalled EL but my question is if you download the original EL client again from the site would you still need to download the update or have you already added the update to the client for example the people who are just now installing el do you they need to get the update as well? Or is it already in the download?

From the people I've been helping (and from reading other thread about problems) I think one of the biggest issues causing problems for folks is the el.ini file not pointing to the installation directory. Note: I'm talking about Windoze boxes here.

If you install to the default location (C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands) everything should be OK. But if you installed anyplace else, you need to do the following:

1. Go to the directory (replace <user> with your user name): C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\Eternal Lands\main

2. Edit (use Notepad) the file: el.ini

3. Find (do a search) the line: #data_dir = "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands"

4. Change the path to the location you actually installed EL in.

5. Re-start the client.

Several people who have done this have found their problems "magically" fixed. It's something (along with some other things) anyone having problem should verify before posting.

Yeah I understand what you are saying but my question is actually did entropy add the update into the original game download? Because I fully uninstalled EL and getting ready to download it again and I am wondering will I have to download the update again or is it included already in the initial download?