Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
draegox

Virtue Points

I am rather surprised that this has not been suggested yet, but here goes…

Whenever you do a virtuous thing, like giving something away for free, you get a point. If you kill someone you lose two points. If you kill an animal, you lose one because they aren't human. Bots would probably count as people (merciless ant haters :)) for programming reasons. And if you engage in combat with a player, but you don't kill them, you are okay. This may be difficult to implement, but PK points are here, so…who knows?

P.S.: I realize some people will not like this idea. Just don't get very flamey or worked-up, please. tyvm. :w00t:

LOL

So you have a friend that makes an alt, and transfer items between him and you, and you both get virtue points?

Or you give some worthless shit to a n00b, and get virtue points?

Very bad idea, atm i got 75k kills in kill counter, some r players, most r monsters, so does it make me bad/evil person?

Every fighter would be punished with those points, "OMG i killed a beaver im so evil(rich) IRL now!!! ;) "

Entropy pointed out how unfair and easy to abuse this system could be.

mp

wow... i have very high virtue points then ;)

but yea... people can easierly do what radu said

I agree with Ent and masterpiter.Once in td i summoned a tiger to kill some monsters and he jumped on my friend (i returned his db) so does that make me evil?Or a few times in pvp my parter failed resto so I killed him. Is that evil?

Karma is still a good idea, and could be useful in many situations.

Possibly any scheme where you earned karma points through interactions is prone to be exploited; but there are alternatives.

If each character earned, through play, points which they could award as good or bad karma to other characters, then it could be made to work.

Update 2007-07-13: An example implementation

Define two new skills:
Good Karma
and
Bad Karma
. These work as other skills in terms of experience and levels, and experience "earned" constributes to OA. However, unlike other skills, experience in Karma is not earned directly by the character, but awarded by others.

Each 1000 xp a character earns awards them 1 point to spend on
another
character's Karma, either Good or Bad.

The game mechanics can take Good, Bad, or Good - Bad levels into account in any of the situations or scenarios discussed in other threads. NPC interactions, Quest requirements, etc.

Edited by trollson

You can make it so that when you kill someone with a positive karma yours decreases, and vice-versa. As for killing 'harmless' animals, that's a tough question... maybe if you kill them without picking up their rests it's bad karma, but then again that would make killing animal just for training a/d very unworthy (and i think it's hard to implement too). So also adding a modifier based on the ratio between attack levels could work, so that if you go with stronger animals your karma could increase (or at least just NOT decrease)... and well you can just tweak their innate karma level...

just some ideas.

LOL

So you have a friend that makes an alt, and transfer items between him and you, and you both get virtue points?

Or you give some worthless shit to a n00b, and get virtue points?

No, there would be ways to prevent this sort of thing. Maybe the items would need to be of a certain value, to stop the n00b thing. As for the alt…

If each character earned, through play, points which they could award as good or bad karma to other characters, then it could be made to work.

I think this is a very interesting suggestion, especially the part with (honest) players awarding karma. This actually sounds better than my idea, as I will admit it has a lot of flaws.

You can make it so that when you kill someone with a positive karma yours decreases, and vice-versa. As for killing 'harmless' animals, that's a tough question... maybe if you kill them without picking up their rests it's bad karma, but then again that would make killing animal just for training a/d very unworthy (and i think it's hard to implement too). So also adding a modifier based on the ratio between attack levels could work, so that if you go with stronger animals your karma could increase (or at least just NOT decrease)... and well you can just tweak their innate karma level...

just some ideas.

This is also thought-provoking. Maybe monster-slaying would not decrease karma (horrid beasts attacking villagers, ect.) And the part picking up drops, though possibly posing implementation challenges, is also very interesting.

Although this idea isn't perfect, it is still somewhat of a possibility. I have heard some really great new takes on it that sound feasible indeed.

What would that bring to the game? The only benefit I'd see is if NPCs take this karma/virtue into account when you deal with them (ex. better price when selling/buying), but I think this idea already came up in the past.

For all other stuff, there's already a "community karma", which is how other players trust and respect you.