Eternal Lands Official Forums
nightmarcus

libstdc++

When I try to run Eternal Lands, I get:

./el-133.x86.linux.static: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think this is because the version I have is newer. I did a "locate libstdc++" and found that mine is libstdc++.so.6 . Here's the output of my locate:

[marcus@localhost Eternal Lands-1.33]$ locate libstdc++.so
/home/marcus/Applications/google-earth/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.8
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/libstdc++.so

Is there a way to point the game to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 or something so that it will work, or will the game have to undergo an update for this issue? I am using the newest version of the game, I just downloaded it like an hour ago. I am running Fedora Core 6. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Errr... the static binary shouldnt need any libraries, because they are all already compiled in to the static client. Thats the reason for having a static binary, you dont need to have any dynamic libraries to load.

Are you really sure, that youre using the static client, and didnt mess up with the EL installation somehow?

I suggest a clean, new installation of EL. Or your Linux is so rotten, that you dont use the static client but something else.

Piper

My EL installation consisted of unzipping it and changing data_dir in el.ini to the proper place, then extracting all the music into the Music folder. Then I just cd'd into the EL folder and tried to execute the static binary. All of the stuff I posted as code in my first post was copied and pasted directly out of the terminal, so whatever it says is what really happened. I'm using practically a fresh install of Fedora Core 6, I just installed it this morning.

Ok, I just tried running it after adding a repo or two, installing a bunch of apps and running an update, and it seems to be working, if I have any more specific problems I'll let you know.

./el-133.x86.linux.static: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I think this is because the version I have is newer. I did a "locate libstdc++" and found that mine is libstdc++.so.6 . Here's the output of my locate:

[marcus@localhost Eternal Lands-1.33]$ locate libstdc++.so
/home/marcus/Applications/google-earth/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.8
/usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.1/libstdc++.so

You don't have .so.5, which is what's required. You *could* try a symlink to so.6, but i'm no expert and it could cause further issues.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.