Eternal Lands Official Forums
conavar

Religion

Being and Aethist myself I just wondered what other EL players views are on Religion (Christian.Muslim etc)

Are you a believer and if so why .

or

Do you think it is total BS.

Has something happened in your life to change your views from one to the other ?

Have you recieved enlightenment through some event or has something made you disbelieve

Do you think religion is the biggest causer of trouble in the world today or do you think it could be mankinds saving grace.

Post Any views Plz

Edit: Plz no flaming ppls religious beliefs or lack there of :P

Edited by conavar

Personally I am agnostic. i simply have not chosen to "risk my chips" on any of the established religions yet. I probably wont do so either untill i have researched almost all of them.

I have come to this conclusion because the idea that an entire plane of existance coming into being by mere chance doesnt make much sense to me. there is a theory that states that in fact no action is nessecary for the reaction of a big bang or any event in fact. i cannot remember the name of it for the life of me but basically i dont believe it (many atheists i have talked to have relied upon this theory as their reason for why they are atheists). conciousness is something that is to complex to be boiled down to energy and mass could have come from nothingness and chance.

So basically religion IMO is not a load of bs entirely. much of it has been changed from its origional purpose and "perverted" for the sake of someone and their own oppinion and agenda. If one thinks about it what kind of lies are the best? Those that have a little bit of truth woven in. many of the organized religions today are basically very large elaborate lies.

i could probably get more into detail but this more or less sums it up. satisfactory?

So basically religion IMO is not a load of bs entirely. much of it has been changed from its origional purpose and "perverted" for the sake of someone and their own oppinion and agenda. If one thinks about it what kind of lies are the best? Those that have a little bit of truth woven in. many of the organized religions today are basically very large elaborate lies.

i could probably get more into detail but this more or less sums it up. satisfactory?

True.

My biggest issue with Religion is that it Preys on peoples fear of death and think we all agree none of us want to die. So given a choice between being worm food or going to a imaginary or not Afterlife people are willing to blindly follow something that has no ounce of proof to it.

Thats proberly what faith is blindly Believing something that you have been told.

Certain church groups do a lot of good around the world with poor for example but the Church as as whole being wouldnt trust as far as i could kick it

Only thing i belive in is respect, if ppl would show a bit more respect to each other the world would look diffrent.

I don't care if you are white black pink purple human animal or alien if you treat me with respect i'll treat you with respect.

Im a Christian all the way! You could call me a Jesus Freak i guess...thats a compliment to me. When you really sit down and think about it...there has to be a "Higher Being" (God). Too much for me to type on this subject. If you want ot discuss it..pm me :D

When you really sit down and think about it...there has to be a "Higher Being" (God).

No there doesn't. Why do you think this? Why does there HAVE to be a higher being?

Don't PM. Post, there's a reason why this thread was publicly posted in the first place!

Edited by MagpieLee

I don't believe in any gods. Religion is opium of masses. There is no logic reason of any 'higher being'.

When you really sit down and think about it...there has to be a "Higher Being" (God).

No there doesn't. Why do you think this? Why does there HAVE to be a higher being?

Don't PM. Post, there's a reason why this thread was publicly posted in the first place!

Well said Lee its why i opened this topic to get peoples reasons and views on the matter .Be nice to know why ppl believe or not believe

I am also a Christian, and a Deacon at my church. I am also about to begin the process of getting a degree in christian counciling and become a Pastoral Care Minister.

My biggest issue with Religion is that it Preys on peoples fear of death and think we all agree none of us want to die.

I ademantely disagree with the above. Though many people who call them selves "Christians" today may propegate the above thinking, those of us who truely strive to follow Christ know that "Religion" is man's attempt to be worthy of redemption via some set of Holy (separate) rules. No such set of rules are required when you live by the spirit through faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 15: 10-11), for his death paid for all our sins while we were still sinners. Therefore it's by Grace that we have been saved (Ephesians 2:8-9). The only thing left for us to do is to accept this free gift of Love.

I would say that "Religion" is really a to-do list and is worthless, but Christianity is "Relationship" and the more you get to know Christ (reading his word, praying, just talking to him) the richer that relationship becomes. It's much like a marriage. Spend no time with your husband/wife and see how much you have in common when re-uinted after a long break. So it will be when every knee bows before the Lord on that day (Romans 14:10-12). The verse says "every knee will bow", not just the knee of the believer. But I dont say this to scare anyone, because as I stated above this is a homecomming of sorts. It will be a joyus time of celebration. There should be NO fear in death, and that's really the point.

As for me, I believe because I decided to step out in faith a long time ago and begin to work out what I believed. God was faithful, and I have been in relationship with Jesus ever since. Our relationship continues to grow stronger and deeper, and never have I been forsaken by my Lord. Does God exits? I bet my everything on it and I am always happy to share why.

Should you believe in God? Well, that's for you to consider. I can only talk about what he has done in my life.

- Humbly Yours

Edited by WizzKidd

I am also a Christian, and a Deacon at my church. I am also about to begin the process of getting a degree in christian counciling.

My biggest issue with Religion is that it Preys on peoples fear of death and think we all agree none of us want to die.

I ademantely disagree with the above. Though many people who call them selves "Christians" today may propegate the above thinking, those of us who truely strive to follow Christ know that "Religion" is man's attempt to be worthy of redemption via some set of Holy (separate) rules. No such set of rules are required when you live by the spirit through faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 15: 10-11), for his death paid for all our sins while we were still sinners. Therefore it's by Grace that we have been saved (Ephesians 2:8-9). The only thing left for us to do is to accept this free gift of Love.

I would say that "Religion" is really a to-do list and is worthless, but Christianity is "Relationship" and the more you get to know Christ (reading his word, praying, just talking to him) the richer that relationship becomes. It's much like a marriage. Spend no time with your husband/wife and see how much you have in common when re-uinted after a long break. So it will be when every knee bows before the Lord on that day (Romans 14:10-12). The verse says "every knee will bow", not just the knee of the believer. But I dont say this to scare anyone, because as I stated above this is a homecomming of sorts. It will be a joyus time of celebration. There should be NO fear in death, and that's really the point.

As for me, I believe because I decided to step out in faith a long time ago and begin to work out what I believed. God was faithful, and I have been in relationship with Jesus ever since. Our relationship continues to grow stronger and deeper, and never have I been forsaken by my Lord. Does God exits? I bet my everything on it and I am always happy to share why.

Should you believe in God? Well, that's for you to consider. I can only talk about what he has done in my life.

- Humbly Yours

Couldnt have said it better myself and Wizz I bet my everything on it too.

Havent you ever heard of the saying,"theres no athiests in fox holes." Study the world around you. Study the human body. After doing that, Tell me, we came out of some goo hundreds of years ago. Its not logical that there isnt a God. How can our bodys work so well, be so designed to do all the things it does, without us even knowing we're doing it? And if you believe we come from goo, and all the animals to. Then I just have 1 question for you. Why is our brain SO far advanced then other animals? Yes they have smart animals, but No animal comes close human. They cannot think, or make decisions like we can. I am a Catholic I believe what I believe. You want to prove me wrong? Go ahead and try.

Edited by Gandalf2

While I feel your message was a little harsh Gandalf, I do believe the idea behind it is accurate. I have never seen a design without a designer. And in our understanding, things tend toward chaos and break down, not creation of wonderfully designed things by accident (though I would love to throw all the pices of a rolex into the air and have it fall back together). That's what big-bang and evolution from nothing suggest.

Edited by WizzKidd

WIZZKID

It all very well quoting the bible/koran etc but WHY do you believe . Anything happen to make you believe ? or are you just blindly putting your faith in a belief system

Quoting any Religious txt is just like me Quoting J.R.RTolkein and saying it true they are just books .

GANDALF

Just saying look at the world around you and thats proof enough that a god exists is wrong.It like me saying look at all the suffering in the world and that proof that there isnt a god.

Intelligence is not a proof of higher being or even of holyness in the eyes of god. Ants are less intelligent but there society is a lot better than ours.dont see them raping or mugging each other

No one wants to prove you Wrong Gandalf ,your views are your own and my hat goes off to anyones beliefs but by the same token you cant prove you are right

Edited by conavar

Would you agree with me that humans have a free will? Do ants have free wills? We push over a ant hill, they start rebuilding it while our foot is still in it. Do they have the free will to say, Im not going to rebuild it. Look at him his standing right there, his just gonna push it over again. No, ever time I see a ant hill stepped on, pushed or kicked over they start rebuilding. They dont even take a few minutes. They just start rebuilding. They dont stop and morn the died. They could care less. Humans have free wills, and a intallects. We must make decisions ever day of our lives, animals dont. They do whats in their nature, nothing more, nothing less. Humans are alot different then animals, you all agree? People get shaped by themselves and the people around them. Look at any murderer or rappist. You will see a deeply troubled person, or truelly messed up in the head. Their decisions in life, I believe, and the people and things around them helped them down that dark road. I've studied theology, and some biology which I am studying right now. All the things that go on in our body, and around us, is AMAZING. I dont see how something so complex could happen by accident. and how everything works perfect togather. Yes human socity has problems, but doesnt that just add another point to proving that there is a God? Is there any animal that has problems like humans do? its because we have free wills, they dont. This is what I truelly believe. I may be harsh, but I will stand up for what I believe in.

The way I posted this is like its facts, and thats the end of it. Look at my next post, It will explain what I meant better. These are my beliefs.

Edited by Gandalf2

for what gandalf was saying, every animal has the free will too do what they want, but they don't. ants were disciplined so that they rebuild now, mourn later. its just like saying dogs don't have a choice too walk you to school. i am indian so i follow the ways of the great spirit, and believe that there is a higher place in life than humans. the way your saying, no offense too anyone, is that your are arrogant because you believe that humans are the highest there is in smarts. again, no offense, but you cam on a bit thick. i also don't believe that if you do something wrong in life you get eternal punishment, because in all reality, what kind of father would do that? this will be my first and last post, but I will read through but dont expect a reply

WIZZKID

It all very well quoting the bible/koran etc but WHY do you believe . Anything happen to make you believe ? or are you just blindly putting your faith in a belief system

Quoting any Religious txt is just like me Quoting J.R.RTolkein and saying it true they are just books .

If you re-read my message, I mentioned WHY I believe.

I realize that may not sound like a good reason to most, but if you ever experience the relationship as I have, yout will know it's the best reason to believe.

Only thing i belive in is respect, if ppl would show a bit more respect to each other the world would look diffrent.

I don't care if you are white black pink purple human animal or alien if you treat me with respect i'll treat you with respect.

i dont believe in any god but i do believe in this

Religion is very personal. I hoped to hear what it is for the posters. Instead I'm getting the typical babling "You should believe, because... bla bla bla bla bla".

Thank you WizzKid for your post.

Gandalf, read your post and try to remove points that are not fully right. Our brains are not that much better developped than other animals. Define free will. Do humanbeing have really free will? Or our we actions depends on our culture, rising, parents, school, etc. Is it still free will? Then, what about instincts that still keeps humankind do some weird thinks. If we have so-called free will, animals do have it as well. Just different things caused them and us. Please, we try to respect your as a person who believe, stop disrespecing us, atheists, saying we are wrong, just because you think so.

There is a quite nice paradox. Ask atheists on what condition he/her would start to believe in god, the answer usually is "give me the proof". Where's the paradox? If you have a proof of something you don't have to believe in it anymore, you just know it.

Let's say, I don't believe in god/gods/spirits/etc., but I will start accepting their its existance once I have proves.

~Ansh

Religion is very personal. I hoped to hear what it is for the posters. Instead I'm getting the typical babling "You should believe, because... bla bla bla bla bla".

~Ansh

Couldnt have said it better myself

If people Re-read the topic starter this was never about IS THERE A GOD but more about the reason why people believe or not.

IS THERE A GOD/s :

In my opinion no but I cant prove there is not just the same that believers cant prove there is one.

Questions to people who are believers.

1) If you believe in one God do you also accept that if your God is real then other gods of other Religions must there fore also be just as real ?.

2) If life was created on this planet by a higher being do you think they just stopped there and said ok thats perfect or put life on other plants.

WIZZKID

Yes I did read your post but didnt see that as a reason to believe my apologys. If that is your reason then fare enough

Ok Conavar...Why do you say if God is real then other gods have to be just as real? And two...There may be life on other planets...IMO ( I dont know for sure ) but I believe that God may have not stopped with Earth. Who knows what else is out there but that still doesnt make me a non- believer. God works through miraclous ways that sometimes we may not understand.

Gandalf...I totally agree with you. God made this world so perfect that if the earth was but 1 degree farther away from the sun in either direction, we would either burn up or freeze to death. When the "big bang" happened (which i believe God spoke and if there was a big bang..that was it) how do you think that it could get that exact? The earth has to be in its exact location to sustain life as now, any other location life wouldnt be possible.

Kid

as we say here, "ni dieu, ni maitre". :lipssealed:

(rough translation : no god, nor master).

i think i studied sciences too much to believe anything that can't be proven.

i fully respect people's faith(s), i just don't understand why they do believe.

i'm not sure the previous statement is clear : very basically, to me, believing in a god is like believing in ghosts and such... well, that's the idea. ^_^

i'm just not psychologically equiped to think "there's nothing i can do, god made it". and i keep thinking that religions brought more problems than solutions, over the ages (just think : how many wars were caused by religion... and how many weren't ? ).

but in the same time, if someone's faith makes him/her happy, good for him/her, really.

the only problem that may happen is when a believer starts trying to convince me that he's right with ready-made sentances and no hint of personnal thinking... then it starts to irk me.

but well, you need everything to make a world. :icon13:

Ok Conavar...Why do you say if God is real then other gods have to be just as real? And two...There may be life on other planets...IMO ( I dont know for sure ) but I believe that God may have not stopped with Earth. Who knows what else is out there but that still doesnt make me a non- believer. God works through miraclous ways that sometimes we may not understand.

Gandalf...I totally agree with you. God made this world so perfect that if the earth was but 1 degree farther away from the sun in either direction, we would either burn up or freeze to death. When the "big bang" happened (which i believe God spoke and if there was a big bang..that was it) how do you think that it could get that exact? The earth has to be in its exact location to sustain life as now, any other location life wouldnt be possible.

Kid

I dont believe any gods are real.Was just a Question that Surely if Christains believe in there God then isnt it only right that they Believe gods of other Religions are just as valid and real.

Or is it a case of what i Believe is true what you Believe is false ?.

Believing in life on other plantets doesnt make anyone a non-believer ,Just asked the question Kidberg because i have found Religion and alien theorys dont mix among the Religious types..

Most dont want to Believe there maybe other life out there because if there is then whos to say God made us in his image and not them .And if god didnt make us in his image then there whole belief theory collapses

Also people who believe thats God put us on this world do you totally dismiss the Theory of Evolution and Believe it started with Adam and Eve ?.

I believe with all my heart it started with Adam and Eve.

Yes, its more of a cause or my religion is right and yours is wrong. Christianity is a monotheistic religion meaning we believe in only ONE God. Now we have the Trinity but thats God in 3 parts. Often confusing to non believers.

I didnt say that if there was other life....they werent the same as us. I believe they would be the same.

A couple of quick questions for atheists: If you personally believe in evolution and that mankind (who has the pleasure and capacity to ponder all of this) and all other forms of life came from it then where did the environment to support all of this come from?

Second question: If the answer of the first question i asked eventually leads back to a big bang or other universe forming event (it should but this is all so you can follow how i am rationalizing) then what was the cause of that event?

Third Q: in the case that antimatter/matter anihilation caused big bang or other universe forming event what created matter and antimatter or better yet what was the source of the energy required to set all of this into motion? (i know... bad pun...)

and remember as you require proof of a god or gods in order to start believing in such I also require proof of what your end result is as a theory is basically the same thing as a religion in that there is no concrete evidence and both function on faith.