Eternal Lands Official Forums
svk

Making money

How are you supposed to make money in this game?

The response I usually get is either "harvest flowers" or "alch fire essences". No matter the level. The problem is that both of these tasks are accessible to people that just started playing - no skill is required. You may have spent a minute, a month, or a year, but from what I hear, harvesting flowers remains the most effective method of making fast money.

Before I go on with my rant, I should note that I only started playing a month ago. I may be wrong here and there, or maybe even the entire purpose of my rant is misled by misinformation. I am pulling most of my knowledge from what I read on the in-game newbie channel. But from what I hear from other experienced players who can boast many months of experience, no matter how much skill they have, they still make most of their money by harvesting flowers.

This is where my beef lies with EL. In terms of the economy, we are not being rewarded for the time or effort that we invest into the game. Understand this, I can boast no experience in neither economics nor RPG development (I do program, but I am still an amateur, at best). However, at least from the standpoint of a player, I feel that if I spend a month training my skills, I should have a higher profit-per-hour figure than someone who spent a minute. And yet, too often with higher-level items (particularly in the area of manufacturing), the ingredients can be sold for more than the finished products.

I realize that there exists another school of thought on this issue. There are some who believe that the amount of time invested should not determine success in an RPG.

However, I think that we should look at an RPG not in terms of in-game success, but overall fun. That is, after all, the purpose of a video game: entertainment. A good RPG should be fun to play at every stage, from absolute newbie to a seasoned professional. I am yet an "intermediate newbie," so I can say nothing about being pro; however, in the month that I played, I can attest to having had fun. Yet, as I'm moving onward, I keep finding myself going back to those flowers again. I don't feel as if I am actually getting anywhere new, at least in terms of the ability to make money. I fear that such a system would eventually provoke boredom. Achievement seems to be the base concept of any RPG -- it's what gives the player the urge to go on.

I feel that the economic system should somehow be corrected. I am no expert in game design (I'm working on it :icon13:, but *something* should be done about the economy.I will now go back to harvesting my flowers. However, I hope that in this thread, I hope I will:

-perhaps be corrected. Am I wrong about everything entirely? Is there a better way to make money once you get your skills up?

-hear from you guys about what you think of this. Is this system fine? Should it be changed? Should the amount of time invested have no impact on profit-per-hour?

Oh, and what the heck, I though we could have an idea dump of what could be done if it is desired that the system be corrected. However, it looks like there is another thead for this already. I hope what I said here does not overlap too much with that other thread; I'll be taking a look at it.

EDIT: whoops, I wrote this in Notepad, and it garbled the formatting. Fixed it

Later,

svk

Edited by svk

IMHO i think fighting is best way to make money because u gain levels and get money for it :icon13:

and also as u get better in skills u can make money eaiser by selling what u make

Before you make another big long post like this, do a search. The economy of this game has been discussed and discussed and discussed.

There are multiple ways to make money. You can join a guild, and do some teamwork. It usually pays off.

You should also try fighting, as someone has suggested. You can make a decent amount of money.

Another way, as u advance in alch and harvest abilities, would be bar production.

There is a sizable demand for bars still, you just have to find it :P

You can make money from most of the skills (apart from magic and summoning) which is enough to live on, but the fastest way to get money is harvesting either the lilac's or if you have a high harvesting level tit ore works almost as good. But most people tend not to do that as it's very boring and you dont gain much exp.

Sums up a lot of my thoughts too. I played and played, got to top 30 in both summoning and alchemy. It was still to do the same thing over and over and it became too much.

I still log on from time to time just to check it out.

//Gasp0dE

IMO ;

I feel that this game requires way too much time than it used to. People, imo, don't realise that there are people who don't have as much time as those "pr0s" who spend a large sum of their lives gaming. I know you guys are probably sick of hearing complaints about cooldown things like that. But i do enjoy the game, but now it takes too much time to do stuff, i mean i have wasted days trying to get the things i need to start raising my fighting skills. Unlike as it used to be, it was enjoyable, and i could get the stuff/ do the things i could in a shorter time and at the same time enjoy myself. Like svk said, games were made for people to have fun not work their asses off.

When i log on, i look at my stats and tell myself that i need to lvl them badly, but then i look at the things i need to lvl them. I realise i've no money, and that i'm going to have to make them myself. I soon attempt to get a few things done, and i soon run out of time before i have to do work in real life to gain a living, but when i play this game it is like work all over again - it jus doesn't feel right.

But this is all in my own opinion. I don't want to spark and flames or anything. If anybody has a problem just p/m me via the forums.

The best information I can offer is to train for now, you really don't need to worry about money at your skills. Train intil stuff gets hard and you actually need money to do it. Money is not something you need for pleasure.

The links in my signature give a few good ideas.

I Think making le is easy becasue of money you get just selling 1k of them. :)

Harvest, harvest, harvest, harvest and once more harvest. If you need quick money and you don't care about experience, just harvest lilacs/lupines.

Harvest, harvest, harvest, harvest and once more harvest. If you need quick money and you don't care about experience, just harvest lilacs/lupines.

LOl slayer fe making is noob money :( i'm just saying ;) pwn you!! hehehe lol

LOl slayer fe making is noob money :icon13: i'm just saying :o pwn you!! hehehe lol

*throws shuriken at slayer* :blink: