Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
v0id

Floating Child Windows

I would like to make another suggestion... this is about independant floating child windows for the inventory, status, etc. windows. It would be super nice if, while in windowed, not fullscreen mode (duh), you could float these windows on the outside of the parent EL window, as so that they are not covering up the rest of the screen (like Photoshop)

I can see this being very handy for those of us that run EL in a windowed mode... and like to have the stats window always showing or the manufacturing and spells windows always showing :lipssealed:

I mean, if you're always making potions...casting a spell...etc. it would be nice to be able to keep those windows always accessible (which they are now) but also out of the way of the playable area.

Thanks!!!

v0id

aka GrollacH (in game)

I would like to make another suggestion... this is about independant floating child windows for the inventory, status, etc. windows. It would be super nice if, while in windowed, not fullscreen mode (duh), you could float these windows on the outside of the parent EL window, as so that they are not covering up the rest of the screen (like Photoshop)

I can see this being very handy for those of us that run EL in a windowed mode... and like to have the stats window always showing or the manufacturing and spells windows always showing :)

I mean, if you're always making potions...casting a spell...etc. it would be nice to be able to keep those windows always accessible (which they are now) but also out of the way of the playable area.

Thanks!!!

v0id

aka GrollacH (in game)

You can already have your stats showing in the tool bar (cant remeber how) and if you are trying to cast spells quick that is what the shortcut toolbar next to your inventory on the status bar is. Mods if you can correct the names and explain it better would be appreciated.

well, I'm not a mod, but... stats in hud is what you're thinking of, it's in the options window (there's a lot of interesting options in there)

plus the magic quickbar, which you can add spells to after you cast them the first time. or move the magic window so it's almost off the screen and press ctrl+r to recast the same one (and no, no-one suggest it be used for manu as well, ent might just ban you)

the idea of child windows did intrigue me though

You can already have your stats showing in the tool bar (cant remeber how) and if you are trying to cast spells quick that is what the shortcut toolbar next to your inventory on the status bar is. Mods if you can correct the names and explain it better would be appreciated.

I can see the whole functionality of the suggestion was overpassed or over your head -- sorry to sound condescending, really. :confused:

But I will try to go into detail..infact, I've added a screenshot to "paint a picture"

#1 - I am aware of the ability to show brief stats in the HUD -- I do this, and this is nice for attributes. Maybe that's enough for many but I would like to see the entire stat window, simply because once I get more pickpoints, I think about what attribute, nexus, perk, etc. I would like to have next.

#2 - While in EL, I am constantly looking at stats -- deciding what I want to level up on next. If I am a mere 20 points away on leveling up on my Magic skill, I will cast a spell -- then work on the 3000 points I need to level up on Harvesting.. etc. I wish I had the capacity to remember *excactly* where I am on leveling up on each skill...but I don't. :P Having the stats window always viewable (without blocking the playable area) would be sweet. :P

#3 - Wow! There is a shortcut toolbar??! Please...I am not *that* blind. It all boils down to productivity - having floating windows eliminates having to *constantly* click open windows for inv., manufacturing, spells, etc. and them blocking the playable area. If the windows are always open, then one is able to walk to the docks while casting a heal spell, making a Potion of Reasoning, manufacturing a pair of gloves, click on a buddy for chatting...etc. etc. blah blah

Now, can all of these tasks be accomplished in EL at the current? You bet...but not without blocking the playable area, creating a massive cluster of windows and having to close all windows when done.

I am not knocking EL in anyway -- I can see myself playing this for a looong time. I just firmly believe that adding this, or something similar, would greatly increase the productivity of getting tasks done :unsure: No more constantly opening and closing skill windows...or cramming them into a corner of the screen, like ttlanhil suggested.

-see ya in game!

[--- Screenshot ---]

el_windows_1024x768.jpg

Getting windows off your sight and still being able to use them would give you too much advantage at pk compared to players playing in fullscreen, half of it covered by sigils window and inventory :confused:

Getting windows off your sight and still being able to use them would give you too much advantage at pk compared to players playing in fullscreen, half of it covered by sigils window and inventory :confused:
you really think people would be in that bad a situation? magic quickbar means that you don't need magic window open, some people have the inv far enough to the side that they can click on 6 or 12 slots without taking a lot of screenspace

Someone would have to write at least three different versions of the code (Windows, Linux, OSX) before this could be considered. Each system has a different way of creating and controlling additional windows.

On the picture, the Atributes and the Nexuses cover the Tabs options ( Just a little thing I noticed )

For the rest I love it! It will be so much easier to see everything in your screen.

What about going into fullscreen (or at least very large) and having the 3D portion scaleable, or half size? That's effectively what you have with this, and would be possible. No idea why you would want that though. I much prefer having as much of the 3D as possible, even if covered with windows.

Someone would have to write at least three different versions of the code (Windows, Linux, OSX) before this could be considered. Each system has a different way of creating and controlling additional windows.

not realy. it could all be managed by SDL. just have it create another window like the main EL window, and render the content of the ingame el gui window inside that :P

that is, if i understand the abilitys of SDL correctly.

btw. if one "fixed" the quickuse bar so that it behaved in a way that allowed for the use of multiple potions on a single button, there would be no need to worry about PVPers getting a edge by playing in windowed mode...

Getting windows off your sight and still being able to use them would give you too much advantage at pk compared to players playing in fullscreen, half of it covered by sigils window and inventory :(

And what about the advantage of players using 1600x1200 compared to someone with 800x600?

Erg. I keep hearing, "Advantage to people with better graphics cards" this and "advantage to people with higher resolutions" that. Sure. It does give you an advantage. Not just in EL. Also while web browsing, checking email, playing muds, writing code, and doing everything else.

I mean, what about the people in 640x480, right? No one seems to care about the poor iMac users.

Getting windows off your sight and still being able to use them would give you too much advantage at pk compared to players playing in fullscreen, half of it covered by sigils window and inventory ;)

And what about the advantage of players using 1600x1200 compared to someone with 800x600?

Yeah, we should make it impossible to use different resolutions! :blink: