Eternal Lands Official Forums
Bongo

[patch] Kill Counter

Another thing that would be nice:

When you let the monsters order by amount you killed in total, it's back to alphabetical order when you restart the client, isn't there a way to let it remember in what way it should be ordered?

eh... off to fix both :omg:
okay, that's now done. _WIN32 appears only once in global.h.

Awesome, thank you :-).

that cleanup was made a seperate function, so that it can also be called in client cleanup (I've been told before that cleanup when the client closes is important for memory leak/etc testing work)

That makes sense. I've used valgrind before, and I'm never satisfied until malloc'd bytes = 0 on exit. I must be a geek.

Another thing that would be nice:

When you let the monsters order by amount you killed in total, it's back to alphabetical order when you restart the client, isn't there a way to let it remember in what way it should be ordered?

Good idea, the next revision will do that.

It doesn't work for when you kill using magic (which I did on another Arctic Chim)
it's already inaccurate in the case of multi-combat maps, because the client doesn't know you're fighting a critter... all it knows is that you're at one place, facing a certain direction, doing fight animations, losing health, and some other critter is doing the same next to you.

without actually knowing you're fighting X, the kill counters will be potentially wrong in multi, and when magic is used. (plus if you use more than one computer, your long-term count is going right out the window)

so don't rely on it to be 100%, but it'll still be close and it'll be fun

It doesn't work for when you kill using magic (which I did on another Arctic Chim)
it's already inaccurate in the case of multi-combat maps, because the client doesn't know you're fighting a critter... all it knows is that you're at one place, facing a certain direction, doing fight animations, losing health, and some other critter is doing the same next to you.

without actually knowing you're fighting X, the kill counters will be potentially wrong in multi, and when magic is used. (plus if you use more than one computer, your long-term count is going right out the window)

so don't rely on it to be 100%, but it'll still be close and it'll be fun

I dislike my own patch for that reason. The counters should be implemented server-side.

Edited by Bongo

If your going to work on kill counters, you should also add manu, spell, summon, etc counters.

Having counters just for killing adds more emphasis on killing, having the other counters helps offset that some.

someone else has made a tab that will list the XP gained per skill per session (with the ability to restart the session). that should be on the forums for review soon

EDIT: Cool Idea: Have a number over in the corner that shows how many harvests you have done this hour: So you know you have 20 harvests with exp left etc. :P
Hmmmm, that's an interesting concept, but should be done as a seperate patch to those above incase Ent doesn't like it.
it's also pretty hard to do client-side, because what if you spent some time on a different computer? the harvests remaining will quite likely be wrong. you can't count from 0 each time, in case you already spent some of your hour before logoff

gee, this angle of development sure took off fast!

I dislike my own patch for that reason. The counters should be implemented server-side.

Then you could maybe add a column for the experience you've gained fighting each monster that session, as it is the numbers will be off when fighting multiple things.

someone else has made a tab that will list the XP gained per skill per session (with the ability to restart the session). that should be on the forums for review soon

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24385

Edited by Bharain

I've just fixed a bug in kills.c: Guild tags were not stripped from the actor's name if the color had been changed. I've rewritten strip_actor_name(), the patch is here.

Can there also be added a total line? So we know how many creatures we killed in total, would be cool :)

Yes, I've already added that. I'll submit an updated patch sometime this week.

I noticed a little bug today.

I killed a person and logged off. I logged in again with exactly the same client and the name was not in the kill list.

The person was attacked by two players but I was the one who stood on the bag in the end. So this is probably the reason - is the last hit what counts or who did more damage and stands on the db in the end?

I've rewritten strip_actor_name(), the patch is here.
now in CVS
I'll submit an updated patch sometime this week.
versus CVS, I hope, not a whole new copy of the patch :)
I killed a person and logged off. I logged in again with exactly the same client and the name was not in the kill list.

The person was attacked by two players but I was the one who stood on the bag in the end. So this is probably the reason - is the last hit what counts or who did more damage and stands on the db in the end?

none, actually, since the client has no idea you're fighting the critter. it's a check when any actor dies, to see if both it and you were in fighting mode, and if the other actor was directly in front of you. there are issues with multi-fight, but the way the patch reads to me, I'd expect the kill to show up for everyone (up to 8) who was fighting the target when s/he died.
If you kill summons it leaves the guild tag on, was this intentional?
it won't anymore, after the patch bongo posted above (proper stripping of guild tags, not dependant on if the actor was a player

I'm about to start working on the other counters (alchemy, crafting, harvesting, etc). What I have done so far looks like this:

screenshot3.jpg

Any comments, criticisms, suggestions?

I'm about to start working on the other counters (alchemy, crafting, harvesting, etc). What I have done so far looks like this:

screenshot3.jpg

Any comments, criticisms, suggestions?

looks good. So glad i didn't have a Summon counter while leveling :P

hmm sometimes if i change map or attack a monster/player then i get the "developed using c++"

message...

someone know what's wrong and what to do against it?

it started coming up after i installed the kill counter

hmm sometimes if i change map or attack a monster/player then i get the "developed using c++"

message...

someone know what's wrong and what to do against it?

it started coming up after i installed the kill counter

Download and install this version: el-nightly-installer.exe

It's the current CVS client and is built automatically every night at 3am.

[edit: My ISPs webspace seems to be down at the moment. Get it here for now.]

Edited by Bongo

This looks great and gratz on the good work... :)

Now just to confuse issues what about as part of it a counter that also tells you how many times you've been killed by each player/animal...

Think this would be quite cool and also saves me having to keep a note of all those people I want to PK one day who keep picking on poor ol' lil me!! :pinch:

Is it possible?

This looks great and gratz on the good work... ;)

Now just to confuse issues what about as part of it a counter that also tells you how many times you've been killed by each player/animal...

Think this would be quite cool and also saves me having to keep a note of all those people I want to PK one day who keep picking on poor ol' lil me!! :dry:

Is it possible?

It would be very easy to add that. I'll do it.

This looks great and gratz on the good work... ;)

Think this would be quite cool and also saves me having to keep a note of all those people I want to PK one day who keep picking on poor ol' lil me!! :dry:

Is it possible?

It would be very easy to add that. I'll do it.

screenshot4.jpg

It works.