Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ophidian

Hang your self for game?

I would like to point out that there is a big difference between temporary depression, caused by some bad event (parent dying, failing school, etc), and lifelong depression.

The first time I almost killed myself (and I really was *this* close), was when I was about 7 years old. Do you really think it was because I wasn't strong enough to deal with all those pesky issues that seven year olds have, like "Bobby stole my lunch money!"? My only point in saying that is that when a person suffers from lifelong depression, even if they have really nothing to be depressed about, it's hard to believe that it's not due to a physical cause. I think it's an issue which is way too complicated to blame only on someone's willpower.

@Roland's comment below: I meant the above as a response specifically to the strength argument; I'm not arguing that the kid didn't get upset over the RS incident.

Edited by Tanyia

"Bobby stole my lunch money!"?

some people might commit suicide for that maybe not like that, but what if he worked a year on this runescape char and his friend hacked it and made it so he could never get on it... thats different... it would be like he worked a year to get the money for lunch and then "bobby" stole his lunch money

I would like to point out that there is a big difference between temporary depression, caused by some bad event (parent dying, failing school, etc), and lifelong depression.

No, no actually. there isn't. The word 'depression' is used in both cases. Depression is simply a term used to when we aren;t feeling happy, or on top of things. I won't ever believe it as a medical condition, as its simply a way of saying upset

The first time I almost killed myself (and I really was *this* close), was when I was about 7 years old. Do you really think it was because I wasn't strong enough to deal with all those pesky issues that seven year olds have, like "Bobby stole my lunch money!"?

That argument isn;t just weak, but its also degrading. To you, having your lunch money stolen may not be a big deal, but just because its a big deal to a 7 year old it dosn't mean they don't feel as damned bad about it as we do if someone breaks into our house. how do they understand whats worse at a young age? I work with children, and believe me when I say they're minds are different, maybe even better than ours

My only point in saying that is that when a person suffers from lifelong depression, even if they have really nothing to be depressed about, it's hard to believe that it's not due to a physical cause. I think it's an issue which is way too complicated to blame only on someone's willpower.

Of course. Noones denying it was because he was having a badtime of it, but surely lifelong depression is just lots of 'temporary' depression bundled together? He's as much to blame for what he did, if not more, than those that drove him to it. I continue to insist that EVERYONE has problems, and we deal with them in our own ways.

[No, no actually. there isn't. The word 'depression' is used in both cases. Depression is simply a term used to when we aren;t feeling happy, or on top of things. I won't ever believe it as a medical condition, as its simply a way of saying upset

Actually, you are wrong, there are medical reasons why someone could feel depressed, even if everything in their life is wonderful. There are certain chemicals in the brain that control your emotions. Normally, this is balanced naturally, but sometimes your body produces them in insufficient or overabundant amounts. Hence it IS a medical condition, since your body is not working correctly. Normal depression (you're sad becuase your dog died) is not a medical condition, however. It only becomes such when there is actually something wrong with how your body is operating. What Tanyia is describing as lifelong depression is the medical kind. Without knowing the kid, or seeing his medical records (if any bloodwork was even on file) there is no way of knowing if he had a medical condition or not. If it was a case of the kid acting out because he was upset, then the kid doesn't deserve our pity. If he had a medical condition, then I feel sorry for the kid...and angry at his parents for not keeping a closer eye on him. Medical depression isn't something that one day just "appears", there are warning signs from the time a child is very young...although, most people aren't looking for them, or explain them away.

bah, i'm starting to ramble....

Actually, you are wrong, there are medical reasons why someone could feel depressed, even if everything in their life is wonderful. There are certain chemicals in the brain that control your emotions. Normally, this is balanced naturally, but sometimes your body produces them in insufficient or overabundant amounts. Hence it IS a medical condition, since your body is not working correctly. Normal depression (you're sad becuase your dog died) is not a medical condition, however. It only becomes such when there is actually something wrong with how your body is operating. What Tanyia is describing as lifelong depression is the medical kind. Without knowing the kid, or seeing his medical records (if any bloodwork was even on file) there is no way of knowing if he had a medical condition or not. If it was a case of the kid acting out because he was upset, then the kid doesn't deserve our pity. If he had a medical condition, then I feel sorry for the kid...and angry at his parents for not keeping a closer eye on him. Medical depression isn't something that one day just "appears", there are warning signs from the time a child is very young...although, most people aren't looking for them, or explain them away.

bah, i'm starting to ramble....

then Touche, and you told me ;) . If it was a medical condition, then I'll concede simply because I can;t argue the point now I've already been wrong. If it wasn;t medical, then my argument stands

But young adults, this 14-year old boy..whos life allready wasnt too pleasant..he fleed in RuneScape, that World was his safe haven, his place to be what he wanted to be, or could be.

That was taken from him..and then he had enough..

I remember when EL had been MY safe haven...a few years ago the family was going through some hard times and communication wasn't always the best. My friend's weren't really that great and i had almost no one. Except EL. When i came on here i had actual people i was able to talk to. If it weren't for them and this game at the time...i don't want to even imagine what i would've done.

I even remember during that time my parents tried to take it away from me. I'd flip out on them. I felt like they didn't understand me or what was going on.

But it's all better now! Infact life has never been better :)

ehh...just thought i'd share how EL has helped me

-kat

That is one thing i'd never bring myself to do, no matter how much hard work i put into a game. Sure i'd be pissed off but at the end of the day it's just a game. But overall i reckon this game should have an age limit..

Guest stalag
I must say I'm really surprised at some of the responses here, like "maybe he deserved it" (I really hope I misread that).

You did not misread it, i'm afraid; some people must belong to a freak show :o for saying moron things about a boy killing himself. Of course was not about the game it was only the last drop in the filled glass.

But overall i reckon this game should have an age limit..

I dont agree at all...you can't impose it anyway...at most u can put an warn saying what? "killing too much gobs can fuck u your mind?"; "If your account is scammed u prolly will blow up yourself?"; "flirt is common here processed with extreme caution?"

Gosh, just came back from Japan to read this thread first.

As someone who has seen a friend in my youth do something tragic like this, just remember, if it wasn't the game he played, it would have been something else that triggered it. No particular persons fault.

Remember, RL rocks. Live a little of it too <wink>

Greg/Minion

Well, some people on EL know of this but basicly I'm in a situation that would lead people to kill themselves aswell.

1)My mom is an alcoholic, cigarettes are consumed at a nice rate also.

2)School life sucks, I hate it.

3)Not a sociable person either.

I have my regular problems to deal with aswell, i have to confront the problem of my alcoholic mother every god damn single day. I get at least 1 comment a day from teachers and usually more over this and that. Since I never talk alot or anything, I don't have a super-big amount of friends who can pull me through when its going rough on me. I do have my dad and my brothers who try to help me, but my dad is somewhat a work-a-holic and is almost never at home and my 2 brothers have already moved out the house aswell.

You can probably imagine I could go suicide myself over this. Well, ffs do what you want but that ain't gonna happen. I've had many problems and have so far dealt with them all, mostly alone.

Main reasons I have never killed myself?

1) I don't want to look like a coward and flee away from the problems.

2) I'm scared of knives and i'm frightened of choking.

3) I've got a whole bunch of friends on EL who I could talk to if I needed anything. I'm alot more talkative when I'm not talking eye-to-eye. So have more friends on this game then in RL.

This kid, yes hate for this if you want, was a weakling. I've got mainly his problems and I've been through this for 6-7 years now. Why he gave up was because he was weak of mind. People don't kill themselves over physical problems, they do over mental problems. I have had many curses said to me in the past years, but you know, after all this time, I've learned myself to hide my feelings. Whats so good about that? Come see me if you're ever in Belgium and swear at me for a whole hour and see if it affects me.

If I would've been in that kids place, I would've gotten my friend banned of RS, got my account back somehow and he wouldn't have to come to me again. Basicly, that would've been the best solution for it. Off course if you can't see that you go do other stupid things, like suicide.

I've learned to control myself.. And I've learned how to be a support to others. Having troubles in your life only makes better at helping people that go through a rough time aswell.

To finish my post I have 2 comments.

1) To all my friends on EL, thanks for the fun time I've already had with all of you. It's been great to chat and play with all of you. I wish that we can all keep playing and face problems together. I wish you other people the same.

2) If anyone ever needs to chat about something, problems you have or anything, feel free to PM me ingame and talk to me. I love to listen to people and try to comfort them and give some support to them. I promise if you contact me nothing will get out in public either.

Ya, little edit.

I'll put open the full book while I'm at it.

Recently my gf died aswell, so maybe not is not the right time to talk to me if you're bothered with anything. I see no sense in anything and am not taking any reason seriously and am just draining myself down. I actually felt like bashing my head into the wall today so that is not very good.

I hope noone will ever experience what I'm going through right now because I'm sure some wouldn't be able to handle it.. I'm going all out dramatic over everything and am over-worried over everything and everyone. I'm very easy hurt atm because of all this going on and I can't stop doing stuff and draining my energy down lower and lower. If you wanna chat with me, only if you wish to help then, but don't make me try and help another person with his problems because I have more then I can already take right now.

Edited by ssjgohan

computer games are often for those who are unsatisfied with reality. this is just one big extreme on that view..

Edited by Kabbal

My word how heartless the young and morons of this world some of the comments here made me sick to my stomach!

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it. A child has died here show a little repect for him :icon13:

I read this post the other day and wasnt sure if I should in it or not. I'm still not sure its a good idea for me to do so. But sometimes I have to say something and I am trying to find the right words to get my point across without coming off heartless or unthoughtful...But here goes

The boy did not "die" He killed himself. There is a difference. This is just me and my view it is sorta mean but I get tired of the "my life is so bad" ,"I hate school" ,"My parents won't give me a cookies, so I'm gonna kill myself" stuff. Especially when their lives arent that bad. I understand some people are just weak and cant handle life itself. If someone has real, really bad stuff I may be able to understand but online I have seen ppl even post about killing themselves! I'm like if you really wanted to you wouldnt have posted about it because you would be DEAD. So I dont play the give some attention game. I say go get a hug from your mama or something. Life isnt going to go your way just because, You have to TRY!

There are people in this world, on this earth, right now today who are living in conditions and situations we can barely imagine. there are people out there who WANT to live even though their lives have been so hard! There are people in the world who would chew off their own damn arm for some water or a peace of bread and here we have ppl going onto computers playing games and complaining of their lives! And just plain old sooo unhappy! If you or your whoever has enough extra cash to pay for such an unneedful thing to survival as internet or a computer or even a lil old t.v. set , then you havent got it that bad! The fact that you can even type a post or chat in a game or forums about how unhappy youare means you are ahead of soo many who cant even read or write! So many good everyday things people take for granted just gets me sometimes.

I have seen some hard times in my life. Some very very bad. But I wouldnt ever kill myself, It just doesnt make any sense to me. Life would have to deal me some heavy shiz for me to come to that point. I have been in places where I experienced some depression, for a long time. Mostly in my teen years. I felt my life was just that bad. but I was never a stupid girl and I knew no matter how bad I felt inside. my life was bad but it could always be worse. I thought of how killing myself would affect those around me. My siblings, my mom, my dad, aunties, uncles, cousins. So many ppl would be affected if I had chickend out. I dont want to go into too much detail of my bad times but close family members on drugs affected me and my sibs much. Made it so that we were poorer than we had to be. I came into puberty at the age of 10! I didnt even go to 5th grade because the princible looked at me and said "Take her to the middle school down the street" . So I went from 4th to 6th grade.

I was a nice girl. Wanted to please people, wanted to have people like me and I was a pretty lil girl in a young womans body. So from a very young age I had to deal with How I was treated because of the way I looked. Girls at school teased because not only was I cuter and had a bigger breast cup than them, but i couldnt afford the coolest clothes, shoes, hair styles. At school the boys would ignore me but let me be walking home and they catch me and surround me like dogs in heat. I had more problems with grown men than boys. Needless to say I had to learn the hard way and school was like a hell I didnt want to go thru everyday. But I went, lol. I never had many friends and I was still trying to be the nicest girl I could be til I got 17. I went to 7 different high schools in just 4 years of school. We moved around alot. I never got suspended or even got detention in school. I was quiet and shy most of the time.I went to alot of middle schools and elementry ones too. I was the oldest of 6 kids so I was changing diapers, washing dishes, getting sibs dressed for school at an early age. Yeah it sucked but it wasnt that bad.

It was still hard for me. Life itself. I was screaming inside my own mind at times at all the shiz in my life I hated and how it was fair. Until one day I was in the bathroom. Thats where I went to get away from everyone else because we had a house full. I Having one of my fits and it got really bad till I just wanted to bang my head against the wall. I actually did bang it a few times nad it hurt but I stoped and thought for a sec about what I was doing and why. I started analyzing myself and I came to realize How those folks who cut themselves can do that. Before I had never understood, they just seemed crazy to me but just them and what I was doing and how I felt inside I came to see why I felt like causing myself actual physical pain which i couldnt really feel because of all the pain that was inside.

In the end I never did nothing crazy in my teen years, Didnt drink, smoke, runaway. never shouted at my parents, never talked back. But I did have an addiction besides biting my nails and that was books. I read alot and got bad grades in school because of it. I read and I read alot of my teen years away. I still read alot years later. Still have problems in life. Things dont always go my way but everyday I smile and laugh more than once. Everysingle day and that makes it worth it. And besides I have 3 kids now, lol. Suicide is not an option since I have these kids to raise.

Also I will not let my kids play anykind of game for more than 2 hours a day if that. They will be too busy with other stuff If I have anything to say about it. My son will not be playing some RPG game for hours at a time. He can do that when he can pay for it himself. I have said before this. to people while chattin on EL. About kids and games. I said " I wouldn't let my kids play EL or a game like it" not because of the game itself. Some games like these are very time consuming and my kids wont have the time. I plan to be an active parent in my childrens life meaning that I will try to know where my kids are and what they are doing.

And about clinical depression. I can't really say much about. See a doctor, takes some pills. I don't have it and don't know anyone close to me who does. But I do think parents should watch their kids and take note of that kind or any kind of behavior that is not healthy.

And I know my typing is not so good but I try. I most likely missplled some things and have a bunch of typos goin on. I already know that. I have gotten a bit off track and maybe not all the way on topic.I also did go into more personal detail than I intended and thats not even all of it. Boy! Do I have alot of stories, lol. I also think I may get bad feedback about what I have said here but either way I'll live.

Its sad about the kid taking his own life but I feel for the family and friends left behind more than anything. Its sad that people do that to their loved ones.

If anyone wants more clarification on what I mean from the things I have said here then drop me a line and I will be happy to chat sometime.

Once again i find myself reaching for my Oscar Wilde book.who btw is the greatest writer in history and enter one of his witty qoutes on this thread.[i like talking to a brick wall, I find it is the only thing that never contradicts me] :icon13:

when i was playing runscape i was forgetting about feeling bad from my dad keeps being a but. now i've been depressed for weeks and finally started feeling better when i saw eternal-lands :devlish::icon13::)