Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GarfieldClowntje

Magic, combined suggestions

I have searched trough some magic improvements suggestions listed on this forum. I thought, why are all these beautiful suggestions scattered around the forums. If I put myself in the shoes of the devs, I think I wouldn’t like looking through the entire forum, looking for over 1 year old suggestions, while some of those suggestions are truly worth wile looking at a second time. I combined all the suggestions I could find in this 1 thread. If I missed some topics/suggestions, please feel free to react and I will implement it in this first thread. I have thrown in some of my own ideas too, so this isn’t all ‘old stuff’, but there are some new things in here as well.

1 of the things I tried to think of while typing this thread, is the new system (check this) which entropy is developing/thinking of atm

What I totally love is the magic quickbar.

It might get obsolete when the new system Ent is working on now gets implemented, but in that new system you could think of that 20x5 block as a huge quickbar. I know that this new system is just began working on and we shouldn’t expect it very soon, but we can all give some feedback when it has just started, so things mentioned now and in the past can get their implement in there (if we are lucky :medieval:)

Just think of it people, 20x5 means 100 spells!! :drewl: (if I am understanding Ent’s thread correctly)

What I have read several times, is to make all spells outcomes lvl dependant. So, if your lvl in magic increases, the effect of the spells increases too. Like heal-summoned now heals the summons 10 hp’s, while, a 10-lvl-higher magician still heals the summons 10hp’s. This should increase when the magic lvl increases.

First a list of all the Spells I could find:

(I can easily edit this list and put a spell in here if you think of new ones)

- Duplicate Item: expensive spell, depending on what you like to duplicate even more expensive and some items cant be duplicated at all (like thermal serp)

- Teleport Away: Teleports enemy to a random location (on the same map, or, if the magician has really high lvls even to other maps)

- Freeze: Freezes enemy for 'x' seconds, or until attacked. Magician get’s a chance to run from battle or cast another more powerful harming spell on the opponent. These 'x' seconds increase with magic lvl

- Fire Ball: Attack spell for 'x' damage

- Heal Group: Heals everything from same guild / buddies who are around ye within a 'x' square radius for 'y' hp’s

- Mirror Image: creates a mirror of your character, that fights/protect you. It has half you’re a/d/p/c/w or some percentage of your lvls, and you are able to heal your mirror in combat too.

- Wrath of Nature: It would cause a mother nature kinda event on an opponent. If you cast it on an opponent it can have the m/n strike, bee sting, cavern collapse, bag of gold, or EXP in what he’s doing. So it could cause good or bad thing to happen to your opponent. Chaotic spell

- Comet: 'x' damage to a square (with opponent) and 'y' splash effect for 'z' squares around it

- Fire Storm: 'x' damage to anything within the fire spurts that shoot of from the ground within 'y' squares.

- Gust of Wind: instant flee and causes the target to move off the screen so chances of re-attack are slim.

- Tornado Spell: Same as 'Gust of Wind' but 'x' damage is done to the opponent as well.

- Hurricane Spell: Same as 'Tornado' but with even more effect

- Blizzard: ice damage and maybe an impediment(?) of strength due to frost bite. Maybe 1-2 strength down and 'x' damage

- Hail: Splash damage like the fire storm, all though possibly can have same effects as Blizzard

- Tsunami: A great wave that causes massive damage and a fle due to forcing the monster/opponent back

- Last Breath: 'x' damage (x = a lot to start with :medieval:) and causes severe damage to armour/weapons/capes (well it is supposed to be a huge attack spell for the top mages)

- Nimble: 'x'% to block an attack from an opponent for 'y' seconds

- Spying: Needs Crystal Sphere, you cast this, and you can spy on a person somewhere in game, or you can spy on a location.

* This can have many goals. You can see if it’s crowded somewhere, so you'll go somewhere else (storage/spawns). You can look at guild-mates fighting someone/something. You can keep an eye on someone’s death bag. (#GM: I lost a bag on these coords, can you check for me if it’s still there? With this spell you can see the bag and/or the person picking it up) I know it’s not illegal to pick up death-bags, but hey, most of us don’t like it :medieval: You can think of other reasons to look at some location without necessarily go there.

- Crippled: Opponent will walk slower for 'x' seconds

- Heal Spree: You will get +'x' health per 'y' seconds for a period of 'z' seconds Example lvl 20 magician gets +5 health points per 10 seconds for a minute. Lvl 40 magician gets +10 health points per 5 seconds for a period of 1,5 minutes. (this example stands for every spell listed here, higher magicians can use higher spells, but will also have more effect from lower spells, might be %-tage based or whatever)

- Lighting's dance: 'x' damage and a 'y'% chance of your opponent being paralized for 10 seconds

- Tele to range: adjustment, now it is that if you want to attack someone you have to teleport near him, than click him to attack, it should be cooler if you could do this at once. Cast -> click opponent -> jump on him -> fight

- Travel: A really long range spell that is triggered by clicking somewhere on the map.

(this "Travel" spell can be the improved "teleport to range" spell, if you always see your position in coordinates somewhere on the map and you perform ‘Teleport to range’ you add the coordinates where you want to go to, and you will go there. If you aren’t powerful enough to travel to those coordinates, you get a message like, “those coordinates are out of range, but you did loose essences + mana points for tryingâ€, or something like that)

This are only 23 possible new spells, and already only thinking about them is mind-blowing, think of all the other spells that can come in game …

That’s it about spells I found so far. These suggestion + the spells already in the game don’t make that 100 spells yet. We can better think of 100+ different spells, so the devs can choose which they like and which they don’t like, so let those spells come and I will add them in this list.

Than some other suggestions:

If you are with a group on a map (guild mates or buddies or whatever) and you are fighting an opponent, wouldn’t it be cool if you could combine powers? For example, if 3 or 4 members cast “Fire Ball†roughly the same time, it causes to form a “Wall of Fire†around these 4 or directed upon the opponent. Or if all 4 members are casting some “Shield Spell†together, they will be invulnerable for attacks, until they attack someone, and the shield is broken. More of this ‘teaming up’ stuff would be cool to have.

Now something I couldn’t find anywhere yet in this forum, but I am sure it is somewhere … lol:

Magicians Clothing’s:

A hat (nice and pointy), Torso, Pants, Boots, Medallion for magician, Cloak, Staff (off course!) and a Ring (or something else for the empty hand, like crystal sphere –see Spying Spell above-) All these clothes look loose and wide at the ends. (As if you can hide stuff in your sleeves :medieval: lol)

Why not have 2 or 3 sets. Like White, Black and for example Red clothing sets.

Each item gives you some ‘advantage’, like:

- more power in the spells

- less essences needed

- more success rate

- less mana needed

- more EXP gained

- able to try Spells actually above your current magic lvl (with small chance of success off course)

You can think off combinations as well:

For Example, White Magicians hat gives:

5% more power to the spell + 10% less mana needed + 5% less EXP gained

So you wont have only bonuses, but you can also have some set-backs (less EXP, but more power)

These new sets of clothes could be the reason for some new mystical animals/creatures ingame for the magical furs, or for some new kind of magical stones.

Also for example: each 1/100 (or even 1/1000) chop of something gives you a black, white or red magical stone which can be sold to magician-NPC for maybe 5gc each (not too much) or you can use it with existing furs and essences or something, to create the magicians clothes.

I think there should be some ‘penalty’ for wearing parts of the red + parts of the black + parts of the white clothing sets. Because you can’t serve different sides.

I think there should also be some additional bonus to complete sets.

If even 1 of the suggestion listed above get implement in the game I think most of the magicians in EL will be happy. If they get implemented all, than there is a new Era we will enter with EL.

For the Devs:

I know Ent is creating / looking for a [complete] new magic system (again, check this) and I like to know how much of a help I am with this thread.

I don’t know how far some of the features listed above are in progress allready by the developers, since some suggestions are over 1 years old.

If there are any features worked on, which features are they, and how far in the progress are they (20% done, 50% done, 80% done??)

I don’t want to rush you Devs, you are doing a great job with the game, I only like to help (and possibly improve the game)

For all the other players:

Don’t go replying with:

“Woohoo, this sounds kewl†or:

“I hope they implement it soonâ€

Because I already know it sounds cool, that’s why I found stuff all over the forum. I mainly just collected [all] the data and put it in 1 thread. I added some of my own ideas as well when I was on it.

If anybody has some real improvements/new spells in mind, don’t hesitate and post it in here, and I will implement it in the first thread. So the ‘state of the forums’ become a little cleaner

Tnx

Regards, The Clown

//edit: how can i make my post a bit nicer organized? I pre-typed this in word, and than ctrl c, ctrl v in here ... but it doesnt look nice at all (tabs not working etc.). Is it just trial and error before things look nice in here? It is my 3th post on forums here, lol...

//edit 2, new spell in the list, and tried to improve the interface a bit

Edited by GarfieldClowntje

since you have a lot of fire spells on the list, why not change the fire storm to something like decay, samething except it uses earth, death, magic, and health essences?

Those spells are mostly from somewhere listed on this forum, and yes there were more fire-spells suggested, i just implemented them all in my list.

There are also wind-spells in here, tornado/hurricane and water-spells, tsunami (name change to great flood seems appropriate...)

Maybe use earth essences for earthquake like spells?

Just look at th 'current' system with essences and with every essence you can think of use in several new spells. I dont know how much the system will be changed if you look into Ent's post on programming section

Fire spells seem to have the most 'fans' around :medieval: amongst other players, but other essences can be a base for spells too offcourse.

What i also noticed is that most spells suggested are either to fight back or escape from battle

greets

We could use the the new furs to make new clothes just for style, like panda fur for tuxedos and etc.

spell idea:

Lighting's dance: 30-40 damage and a 10% chance of your opponent being paralized for 10 seconds

212150[/snapback]

added to the list

We could use the the new furs to make new clothes just for style, like panda fur for tuxedos and etc.

212150[/snapback]

I don't know what they are planning allready with these furs ... i dont think they just put them in the game without future purpose.

If there isnt a purpose planned yet for those furs, than this might be a good idea, but i wont put my money on it

Regards, the clown

Edited by GarfieldClowntje

Just think of it people, 20x5 means 100 spells!! :drewl:

Whereas the current system allows for only 2,238,976,116 possible spells...

implemented

212332[/snapback]

Maybe you should change "implemented" to "added" so you do not get confused with if its actually implemented in the game.

I like most of the spells, some are a bit unrealistic, like; teleport away and tsunami.

Maybe you should change "implemented" to "added" so you do not get confused with if its actually implemented in the game.

I like most of the spells, some are a bit unrealistic, like; teleport away and tsunami.

212388[/snapback]

I understand the possible confusion, fixed it :(

And about the spells, yeah offcourse there are some unrealistic ones, as if we encounter this kind of magic daily in RL :mace: , but most of them came from elsewhere on this forum. I just made 1 list out of it.

If this list can grow to 100+ spells, the most unrealistic ones can be cut out and replaced by spells with some more sense

i recall my original suggestion to entropy when he was talking about using sigils for spellcasting.

it basicly was that you had no prebuildt spells but instead the sigils had diffrent propertys based on what other sigils where used and in what sequence they where used.

problem is that something like that can be complicated as hell to code.

like say you want an area effect spell, like maybe "death wave" (negative energy hurting everyone in a area). a ranged sigil, a area sigil and a death sigil and presto. replace the death sigil with a fire or water and the type of energy changes.

people would discover new spells based on experementation in game rather then reading from a set list of combos.

still, there would have to be some hard coded effects in there to, like say comboing a movement sigil with a world sigil to be transported to the portal chamber.

and allso, how would one calculate the essence and etheral costs?

as for seeing the 20x5 grid as a big quickbar. i dont think so. that window would be the size of the inventory window, or slightly smaller. basicly it will be in the way all the time.

213505[/snapback]

This part could actually be pretty simple. Each sigil equates to one ore more essence. So add up all the essence required by the individual sigils and you have the total essence needed for that spell.

In a similar way, each sigil could use a fixed amount of etheral/mana. Add 'em up, and there's the total required for that spell.

Or to put it another way, the essence and etheral points needed would be based on the sigils used rather than the specific spell being cast. Define a new spell as a new sequence of sigils, and the requirements (essence/etheral) are a simple computation.

213505[/snapback]

This part could actually be pretty simple. Each sigil equates to one ore more essence. So add up all the essence required by the individual sigils and you have the total essence needed for that spell.

In a similar way, each sigil could use a fixed amount of etheral/mana. Add 'em up, and there's the total required for that spell.

Or to put it another way, the essence and etheral points needed would be based on the sigils used rather than the specific spell being cast. Define a new spell as a new sequence of sigils, and the requirements (essence/etheral) are a simple computation.

213517[/snapback]

this doesn't work though because a spell like heal vs. restore can't take the same amount of mana

this doesn't work though because a spell like heal vs. restore can't take the same amount of mana

213544[/snapback]

They don't have to use the same amount. They use different sigils, so the mana required could be different. The mana used isn't based on the number of sigils in the spell, but on which sigils are used.

I'm not saying it would be easy to define how much mana is used by each sigil so that the overall mana used is reasonable. But once the assignments are made, the calculates for existing (and new) spells is straight foward.