Eternal Lands Official Forums
Placid

Americans And Their Dates

I have to vent this...

[RANT]

You know, being a coder and having to work with different systems, when developing for the web is fine. Its fun! But when moving some new code to a Live environment and the SQL server collations are not consistent so when we test our code, the dates mess up just because.....

DA..DA...DAAAH! The Americans decide to use a different date format to half of the world (much like the English drive on the left). <_<

The codes fine, its the wonderful world of Enterprise Java - code is reliable, secure, maintainable (depending on the coder) and most of all - PORTABLE.

But no, its darn Bill Gates and his crappy SQL Server software that just doesn't like to play...:blink:

Why oh why don't you conform? :(

Thanks for ruining my day...

[/RANT]

:P

putting dd/mm/yyyy can be confusing for those silly people (I mean, do you read a word starting with the letters in the middle? do you? same thing.) so I use the international yyyy-mm-dd... sometimes people take a moment to think about it, but there's no chase of messing it up (well, okay, there's always people capable of it, but, y'know...)

as for driving on the left... grr. our entire continent does that, driving on the other side of the road is dangerous!

thanks, I wanted to vent a bit on this subject too

Edited by ttlanhil

same reason they can't spell colour right... they wanna be different (well, maybe colour is a laziness thing, dunno)

and now, after being different, they wonder why the rest of the world doesn't do the same as them :blink:

umm... sorry?

i didn't make the rules y'all :blink:

just grew up followin them

i didn't even know "the rest of the world"

had a diffrent way of writing the date until i read this thread :P

so i say again..

sorry :(

Why can't Microsoft and the rest of the USA use DD/MM/YYYY or even DD/MON/YYYY?

:blink:

167062[/snapback]

Security issues:

MM/DD/YYYY dates cant be compared, you cant calculate with them and so on.

So the format itself is data protection.

It would be much too easy if everybody uses YYYY.MM.DD-HH:MM:SS.HSHSHS, wouldnt it?

:P

Piper

YYYY.MM.DD-HH:MM:SS.HSHSHS

167070[/snapback]

ouch

date only needs yyyy-mm-dd thank you very much :blink:

even the timestamp doesn't go below seconds(I'm assumong that's what .hshshs is)

SQL Server does use timestamps like The_Piper suggested. Thats the whole reason collations are involved because I needed blank timestamps (on a datetime coloumn)

even the timestamp doesn't go below seconds(I'm assumong that's what .hshshs is)

167076[/snapback]

Timestamps on *real* computers/operating systems go down to 1/1000000 seconds. DB2 for example uses such a timestamp.

Piper

SQL Server does use timestamps like The_Piper suggested.

167077[/snapback]

oh. oops. I'm used to MySQL which: "retrieves and displays DATETIME values in 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' format."*

nothing below seconds is stored in that (which is fine by me, I wouldn't need anything lower :blink: ).

* http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/datetime.html

Timestamps on *real* computers/operating systems go down to 1/1000000 seconds. DB2 for example uses such a timestamp.

Piper

167078[/snapback]

heh, I use MySQL on linux for my database stuff.

well, my own stuff anyway

oracle on a sun sparc for the university database classes, which is a bit of a pain to use <_<

On most systems you can also define what the default date format is, so you just set it to the format for your preference. Many systems even allow this to be changed on a per connection basis or in the client as well. So the date format you are complaining about is simply what the default is, not how it is actually used & stored.

On most systems you can also define what the default date format is, so you just set it to the format for your preference. Many systems even allow this to be changed on a per connection basis or in the client as well. So the date format you are complaining about is simply what the default is, not how it is actually used & stored.

167082[/snapback]

Partially true. Once you have installed an SQL Server you cannot change the default Collation that you specify at installation time. Therefore, if your not aware of this (or can't change the collation per database due to access problems), your stuffed. So, changing the server's regional settings won't help because of running multiple applications on this server :blink:

TTLANHIL: Sorry, SQL Server uses YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.MSS for its format.

[EDIT, some additions/changes]

I think we lazy americans are just waiting for the opportune moment to bomb anyone with a different date format than we have :ph34r:

I think we lazy americans are just waiting for the opportune moment to bomb anyone with a different date format than we have :ph34r:

167101[/snapback]

You leave the EL servers alone! or else!

Partially true. Once you have installed an SQL Server you cannot change the default Collation that you specify at installation time. Therefore, if your not aware of this (or can't change the collation per database due to access problems), your stuffed. So, changing the server's regional settings won't help because of running multiple applications on this server :ph34r:

TTLANHIL: Sorry, SQL Server uses YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.MSS for its format.

[EDIT, some additions/changes]

167084[/snapback]

Sounds like another poor M$ design where you can't change it after the fact!

Besides, I did say most systems, and I don't consider SQL Server to be a reasonable choice in most cases :)

who the heck uses:

month/day/year

or

day/month/year

or

year/month/day

or

year/day/month

i use:

is it sun/mon/tue/wed/thu/fri/sat...and do i have to go to the torture chamber they call work today????

and if i do...is it payday yet???

:ph34r::):P

Hay now!! I agree that the Brits are a sexy bunch!! I would love to be a Brit just for the accent alone but lets not push it here :D

The US military uses DD/MM/YYYY Format.

Can we all just agree that Bill Gates is ebul? (I mean uness he is reading this and looking for a wife, in that case I am available and ready to spend his vast forutnes :D)

Maybe if we all emailed him and suggested he change the time format of that program he would :D

I can always volunteer to be used as a bargaining chip :P

1 Wild Muffin for 1 Date format change!!

(Plus can you imagine how many computer he has in his house?? Do you know how many EL windows I could have open??) OMG!! It would so rock I would be able to be on all the chat channels at the same time!! :D

Anyways sorry Placid that Bill Gates is a butthead! I promise if I see him walking around the street I will yell obscenities at him :D

JaneMuffin

Hay now!!  I agree that the Brits are a sexy bunch!!  I would love to be a Brit just for the accent alone but lets not push it here :D

167172[/snapback]

I just think it would be cool to drive on the wrong side of the road and not get a ticket :D

I'm not a coder but an Mec Eng. and can you say metric system :P Do you know how many times I have to convert metric to SAE just to imput data into a CNC machine. How bout we get us crazy Americans on the metric system already......Its easier to uses even. Most nations converted to metric when I was a kid.