Eternal Lands Official Forums
Platyna

Names Rule - Wth?

It is kinda ridiculous that a person, for example Lord Vermor will take for himself a name of map and that name is blocked, no one can make a char that has NAME OF THE MAP in HIS NAME, so if you create yourself a char name Lady Vermor you are getting banz0r3d. That rule is sick, I think it is kinda a difference between Lady Vermor made for role playing and honest purposes and Learners made so scam passwords. That rule is unwise and ridiculous it has to be changed - that using moderator's or admins name for abusive purposes like password scamming or harassment of particular person is bannable not using the name in general, It is sick, I remember when people were picking on a person named Rojo - with I actually know a person named Rojo it is normal name, it is sick thet he was forced to not use his name on EL because of idiotic rule. It itches me badly but never had an occasion to bring it for discussion. Maybe we will ban King Vermor and throw his grave out the castle because he dares to impersonate a mod? I am the only one who sees NONSENSE here?

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Nope i agree with you...

Its really sick..

Why would you have to not use a name that is your real life name, or something like that just cause another person has a name like the name?

Nope i agree with you...

Its really sick..

Why would you have to not use a name that is your real life name, or something like that just cause another person has a name like the name?

I think its more along the lines of the vermor names.

Most people know that I have most the vermor names taken so it could be pretty easy to impersonate me plat. You know know that by now... Just because you threw a hissy fit because they were picking on you in the market channel doesn't mean you need to yell at everyone that rubs you the wrong way.

Edit: And stop trying to fool everyone. We know you are adminka.

Edited by Lord_Vermor

Maybe I am adminka, but I asked Learner and he agreed. That name has long, long history. But what it

has to topic of our discussion? No one on earth can confuse Lady Vermor which you hunted down badly

even when she wasn't doing anything wrong AFAIK with Lord Vermor. If someone would like to

impersonate you he could get a name Lord_Vermor_ L0rd_Vermor etc. I think that rule needs to be

fixed. I want to discuss the issue that I think is important and you are making such a chidlish personal

trips towards me so just drop it and back on topic.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

No, according to current rule if you are a mod and you take Jebus_Lakeside and some non-mod person

will take Dude_Lakeside you may demand his south side being banned. Splendid, isn't it?

Regards.

doesnt vermor have all the damn vermor names in custidy anyways?

well plat made adminka_vermor. Why? just to piss me off probably. (wouldnt that be name spam then :) )

i always thought that king_vermor lady_vermor etc were all characters made by lord_vermor and he can't deny it the proof is the first time you saw their name was in a sentence "... found joker and got a ..." :D

It was an example. I made Adminka Vermor as a joke, because I've seen Lord Vermor logging on his multiple chars and finding Joker afterwards I got instantly yelled on and I've reminded that some kind of weird rule exists.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Hmmmz... Well Plat I hate to say it, but I agree with you on this one.

All over the internet names are a cherished comodity, hotmail, aol, yahoo, the list goes on and on. Now if I were usuing hotmail and someone had NeoSeS and then I choses NeoSeS99, it's acceptable as long as the name isn't taken. Here in EL it seems people get to take rights to there names and I never quite understood that. I recently met a person who took my old SirName Wolf_Lord only they changed it to Wolflord... I didn't mind really I was kinda flattered.

There was a post a while ago about a person naming themselves "Hurcu1e5" and "Hurcules" wanted the name banned... I'm sorry I just don't get it myself. Since when did individuality become a right. Since when did it become possible to own a name? Now there are of course some instances when people might try to abuse this and those instances should be dealt with as they arise, not decideing that all are guilty before people are given a chance.

Lord_Vermoreda2nd or Lord_VermoreII Or Lord_VermoreXXXII should all be allowable names, if Lord_Vermore hasn't taken them all already. And why in the world names like Lady_Vermore(Perhaps her and Lord_vermore got seperated or divorced...) or as you put it a name like Rojo would be banned is well beyond me. The names didn't bother anyone or make anyone think anything until they were implemented and then it becomes a crime to use a name...

I'm sorry, I have to agree with you here. Of course it dosen't matter, the admins, moderators, NH's and all are so against similar names that this will never change. It unfortunate, and in my eyes unfair. The Word Ludicris comes to mind even, ownership of a name in deed. However you have to understand that this is a dictatorship and as such if the Dictators feel that names can be owned and that there would be to much confusion over certain names, then I suppose it's there right to do as they see fit. If the majority of people wern't ignorant and stupid then perhaps this Rule might not be needed. I say let people have whatever name they want and then persecute the ones who abuse it in some way shape or form.

Oh well not that it makes a diffrence, Have a great day Everyone.

NeoSeS

You are not exactly reading my post Wolf Lord. I didn't said allow all names! I said to allow these that are

not offensive, not used for abusive purposes including particular person harassment such like

teh banned 0n3na_sucks or statements such like teh banned 0n3na_r0x. I brought is up because several persons were banned

or were threaten with ban, including myself after I've created a char Adminka_Vermor. This rule simply

has to be changed to not hurt innocent people.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

I read your post perfectly plat, however it dosen't change the overall fact. You only want to protect yourself and others who you feel were wronged, I want to protect everyone and the fredom of speech in general. The very idea of name ownership is obsurd, protecting only some of the people in general is even more demented, but then again that's I what should have expected from you in the first place. I'll argue more on this topic later if it dosen't get locked by then I have to leave for work now. I'll chat with you all when I get back.

NeoSeS

It will be locked if you, guys turn it into a flame. It is not a flame, nor abuse report. It is simple discussion

about the rule in game.

Regards.

with I actually know a person named Rojo it is normal name, it is sick thet he was forced to not use his name on EL because of idiotic rule.

Someone actually forced him not to use that name?

As it is, only names that are directly offensive to other players, or obscene/profane in any way should be banned. If someone else makes the name of Lady_Vemor go right ahead! They are free to do so...which is why I asked, has this been a problem? If so no one ever informed me of it.

with I actually know a person named Rojo it is normal name, it is sick thet he was forced to not use his name on EL because of idiotic rule.

Someone actually forced him not to use that name?

As it is, only names that are directly offensive to other players, or obscene/profane in any way should be banned. If someone else makes the name of Lady_Vemor go right ahead! They are free to do so...which is why I asked, has this been a problem? If so no one ever informed me of it.

Go Roja always the voice of Reason and sublime Justice. Cheers.

NeoSeS

Eh..I might point out, the name "Rojo" was rebootedrock, His only intention in creating it was to cause trouble.

Yup, Roja there was/is a rule that diallow players to use names similar to names of admins, for example

learners even if wouldn't use his name to scam passwords would be banned because name similarity.

Hazor: Maybe you're right but people were yelling at him not because he caused particular troubles but

because of name. I know a person named Rojo who is not playing EL but if he would want to use his

name he would be treaten with ban.

Regards.

Edited by Platyna

Of course i know abotu that rule teh banned 0n3na. What I was asking was that has this become an issue from a valid complaint of someone?

And of course if that person is making the name only to piss someone else off then they shouldn't be allowed.

Of course i know abotu that rule teh banned 0n3na. What I was asking was that has this become an issue from a valid complaint of someone?

And of course if that person is making the name only to piss someone else off then they shouldn't be allowed.

This is my point Roja. Names that shouldn't be allowed:

- Name impersonating a moderator TO GAIN PROFIT, SCAM PASSWORDS etc. abusive purposes.

- Name impersonating ANYONE for abusive purposes such like making a person bad press etc., for example I create Lord_Vermor1 so I could jerk around and pretend him.

- Name that is a statement I_am_Cool, Roja_sucks/r0x etc.

But till this time names similar to other players all were bannable offences and this is the subject of my complaint.

Regards.

Need I remind you that I didn't PM saying for you to change it or be banned. I just didn't appreciate it since I know why you did it. <_<

Hi,

OK sticking my 2 cents in.

Names that are created so closely to one already in existance for the soul purpose of reflecting badly upon someone is not right.( IE of someone created Sandcaslte no one would really notice the inverted letters and assume I was being bad (Which of course I never am -wink))

So two sides to every argument. NeoSeS love I agree with you up to the point that the name confuses EL players by being too close to one already in use.

See just short enough for 2 cents worth. Maybe this is not exactly the situation. I know that all of you, but it is a point that needs to be added into the equation.

Very Respectfully ~~Sandcastle

There was a player named Ak1 and he was causing alot of trouble and noone cared. Alot of people thought we were the same person..

He was a looong time in EL and it took really long till someone got a reason to ban him. It was not because of the name why he got banned though.

I have to say i don't agree that the rule is wrong.

"10. No obscene names, no attempts to impersonate some staff member, no offensive names. Also no utterly stupid spam names such as 0000000000 or AAAAAAAAA, etc. No characters whose sole purpose is their name (i.e. "runescape_is_cool" or "I_{love,hate}_[person's name]"). No spaming character creations by creating a lot of characters with similar names, or creating a lot of characters in a short period of time."

Seems alright to me, it's up to the admins to decide if there was an attempt to impersonate a staff member (so it does have to be intentional), and wether a char delete is necessary, or a rename, or nothing at all.

by the way:

You broke the rule not necessarly because you tried to impersonate Lord_Vermor, but because you created a character who's sole purpose is it's name.