Eternal Lands Official Forums
Cicero

Eta On New Client Additions

-- Shadows

-- Particles

-- Native language support

-- ?

If you've been working on something on the client, we'd like for it to be brought to a "stable" point so we can do a release in a week or so. If it will take too long to finish, just polish up what you have now, and save new features for after the next update.

-- Shadows

Well, I don't know if I'll get all "features" done for the shadows, but they'll be usable :D

-- Particles

The coding is done (I think.) What's left to do is for the artists to actually make particle systems and place them on the map :)

Native language support is done - at least there's no more unresolved issues on my list... I just need a windows client so the translation can get started... Then we might even catch a few more bugs that I haven't been able to find :P

Edited by Wytter

Ok, if you've been using #defines for your new stuff, go ahead and take them out (make your changes the default). If it messes up anyone who's using the CVS client, tough shit. It will help us remember what stuff we need to change in the update.

Can whoever made the new config system (Wytter?) do me a favor? See if you can keep it from switching video modes multiple times on startup, and I keep getting a "can't load cursors file", probably because it changes video modes (thus reloading the cursors file) before it changes to the correct data directory.

Learner, I've taken out your vertex arrays and cache system defines, but I want to know if there's any good reason not to make them the default before committing. The vertex arrays defines definitely need to be taken out, because it checks a run-time config option to see if it uses them or not.

One more thing that you have to be aware of is that the links to images in the encyclopedia should be changed, as $ELDIR/Encyclopedia becomes obsolete. Instead I think that images for the encyclopedia should be in $ELDIR/textures/Encyclopedia or similiar.

a windows client isnt a problem, just tell me where to uplaod it. i link it with debug info in it tho so its a bit bigger then needed. seems i cant get the translation to work as im missing any book into from the research window and the encyclopedia is empty to. whats the file structure again?

$ELDIR/languages/en/strings/

$ELDIR/languages/en/Encyclopedia/

$ELDIR/languages/en/knowledge.lst

uh oh, set up the folder structure and now im looking at a memory error :P

hmm, running under gdb made no sense as then it worked nicely but still had no content in the research window or the encyclopedia :)

craptastic that i didnt test this before...

And you are doing a clean compile? Nothing of what's been changed in the directory structure would create memory errors and the like.

err, ok. should not the system bring out the default english stuff if the xml files where not in place? and maybe i have the wrong xml files, can someone point me to them?

If the xml-files aren't there it'd print out the right strings etc. - no worries.

Here's my languages-directory (containing a german translation, thanks to Enderoth). Furthermore I changed the links in the encyclopedia to textures/Encyclopedia and put that directory in there as well:

http://bjorn_mm.users.whitehat.dk/elc_patc...nguages.tar.bz2

Edited by Wytter

hmm, looks the xml files i had was the ones that was pushing the error. deleted them and i got it working :)

but it seems that the game takes a bit longer to get past the login screen then before. maybe its looking for the xml files and only after giving up it moves on.

well i guess we can call of the emergency :P

odd then that it seem to take longer before the actual game graphics come into place with the new system then before...

edit:

or it may just seem like it to me, i dont know...

Edited by duran