Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
VegaDark

Why Don't Player Corpses Stay?

I think the player corpses should stay until the person who died got out of the underworld, or at least as long as animal/monster corpses stay. Any particular reason why this isn't implemented? I think it would be a good addition.

yeah well if you think you feel violated now when people jump your bag after you die

...just think how you're gonna feel when people jump your corpse... :o

Simple explanation: There is never more than one "you". When the animal/monster dies, it becomes a corpse. After a while the corpse disappears, and it respawns. The number never changes.

When a player dies, he goes directly to the underworld, without spending time as a corpse where he cannot move, because just seing your char lying there would be boring, and you would know who looted the body. So, if we want to implement corpses for players, there would have to suddenly become two of the same player, one being the corpse, and the other running around in the underworld. This would most likely require a lot of changes to the server, as they would have to be completely distinct (you don't want the corpse to move when the player moves).

In a way it's like logging in from two computers with the same char.

Actually, there might be a hack to implement this (if Entropy is interested) - just don't send out the remove actor packet, when someone dies, and just let the client keep showing the body. Like that bug... You would not see your own body when you get back, and people entering the map would not see it either. But for someone walking around in KF, during a war, there will be a lot of bodies - and unless the client gets changed to clean them up (since they do not exist on the server), framerate will drop. Of course a corpse would have to be added to every MD2 file (Elf legs, dwarf torso, human head, axe, shield, etc).

I think the player corpses should stay until the person who died got out of the underworld, or at least as long as animal/monster corpses stay. Any particular reason why this isn't implemented? I think it would be a good addition.

Erm.. First of all if an animal/monster corpse stayed then imagine how VC would look :unsure:

Thats really kind of morbid...I wouldn't like that at all :)

im not too excited about walking on dead dudes either. :unsure:

Naw..... I don't care much for the Idea of Dead Bodies, expecially since it's not how the general story-line goes.

In the game, (this is not the exact storyline but merely My take on it) At the moment of your "Death", the "Grim Reaper" Snatches you (Body, Soul, Possessions, and all) and pulls it all into the Underworld. Sometimes, the Reaper loses his grip on some of your possessions, thus they are left behind.

Now, if your body is left behind like that, that would mean that ALL of your possessions will also remain for the duration of your time in the Underworld. Most likely, you'll be losing everything you have on you when you die, thus no one will take the chance of fighting! Since the Reaper will take your soul Only. Even when you emerge from the underworld, you'll have nothing on you.

I, on the other hand, like the idea of more detailed "Drop Bags" instead of the current Bags. Just an image of "Stuff" that doesn't necessarily shows exactly what in the bag but shows instead what the general contents of the bags are. Mostly, the Graphic for the Bags would be determined by who dropped it.

Such as from an Animal Drop, the Graphic would be a collection of Bones, Meat, and fur. Now, the Bag doesn't have to contain a Bone, meat, and a fur, but that's just what the image looks like. From a Player/Monster drop, there could be several Graphics that could be displayed, depending on the General Contents, not exactly what the bags contain. Like:

A player is killed in PK battle and loses a Sword, a Shield Boots, and a pile of Vials. The Graphic of the Drop Bag would be a general image to show that it's a Player Drop and not an Animal/Monster Drop, represented by something like a Shield and Sword lying on the ground.

Now, in certain places, like Kilaran fields, there are also images of Items lying around the place that look exactly like what I'm referring to but obviously they can't be the same. Either they can be removed from the ground (since is logical, since in a place crawling with people and Monsters, why are they still there after all this time?) or the Images used in place of the bags could be represented by a more "Distinct†Image, such a Pile of indiscernible "Stuff" that the player can't identify from a distance but at least looks better and looks more realisitic then a Plain old vellum Bag, right?