Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
warangel

Economy + Whole Game Great But Doomed To Fail!

I know that none her knows who i am or respects my opinion but (especially becuase at the moment i am banned) but......... there is something ent must see clearly . the economy and the way this game runs is doomed to fail and i fear that the period of failure may be too quick. I am not saying anything to bad mouth or say anything bad about the way this game runs (i would never say anything bad i love this game too much) but something has to change. If anyone has noticed and i am sure that everyone has the economy is already starting to fail tit chains are once again dirt cheap and the price is serps is ever steadily getting lower soon it will cost 300 gold for a tit chain and 800 for a serp some think this is a good thing but it will make the game fail. I have recently read a poll that ent put out about 200 being a cap off point for harvesting and after reading it i know everyone will hate me for saying this but it is a great idea something has to be done this wil slow the economy and will make things really expensive which is a very good thing. That i am sorry to say is only half the problem though the other half is that everyone is just getting better and better i cant imagine what will happen when someone can box down a chimeran or alot of ppl can it will just be chaos.

That's a function of a free market, prices will level out to a level where the seller will think it's too low, then the supply will diminish and the prices will go up. Again, if they get too high, prices will begin to fall again.

Regulating the economy as to who gets what, has been tried in several countries (RL) they have all failed.

The economy has to be given a chance to work, and there are numerous ideas and thoughts on the matter - make <item> less/more expensive, make <item> sellable/non-sellable etc etc etc.

I would like to think that the economy will be balanced and fun for all, given time.

/Derin

post about this, click!

When the magic weapons will becoem available in the game (ie. not pay with real money) things will change. Plus, we will make some other expensive items you can only BUY from NPCs, to provide another money exit thing.

I know that none her knows who i am or respects my opinion but (especially becuase at the moment i am banned) but......... there is something ent must see clearly . the economy and the way this game runs is doomed to fail and i fear that the period of failure may be too quick. I am not saying anything to bad mouth or say anything bad about the way this game runs (i would never say anything bad i love this game too much) but something has to change. If anyone has noticed and i am sure that everyone has the economy is already starting to fail tit chains are once again dirt cheap and the price is serps is ever steadily getting lower soon it will cost 300 gold for a tit chain and 800 for a serp some think this is a good thing but it will make the game fail. I have recently read a poll that ent put out about 200 being a cap off point for harvesting and after reading it i know everyone will hate me for saying this but it is a great idea something has to be done this wil slow the economy and will make things really expensive which is a very good thing. That i am sorry to say is only half the problem though the other half is that everyone is just getting better and better i cant imagine what will happen when someone can box down a chimeran or alot of ppl can it will just be chaos.

well duh

i remember it was almost impossible to get a tit serp ><

That's a function of a free market, prices will level out to a level where the seller will think it's too low, then the supply will diminish and the prices will go up. Again, if they get too high, prices will begin to fall again.

the big diff is that real life have limited resources. and the more rare a item is there higher the value.

right now a person with the right skills can harvest the needed raw materials, make the item himself from said materials and then give the item away as he had no expenses when makeing the item and he can make as many as he needs or wants.

its as if we would have quantum matter copyers running on sunlight and any item we put in we would get two back. no hunger, no lack of clothing, no wants or needs.

sure we could impose a artificial legislation like what copyright is (granting a limited monopoly on production) but where is the fun in that?

best is to introduce some more npc consumeabls (by that im talking about raw materials that can only be bought of a npc and therefor have a non-zero base value) and maybe make harvestable items limited in numbers so that you can sit at a patch all day.

and at the same time remove the monster drops for useable items (weapons and armors) and rather replace it with raw materials that you can only get from monster drops.that way a fighter isnt 100% self-supplyed with gear and there becomes a need for people makeing items.

then we should look over the ready-made items sold by npcs and make sure that the prices dont undercut the cost of the raw materials if bought. in fact the npc price should be about 50% higher or there about. this way people have a bit of room when selling items.

but still, duran.

Giving away items for free is another thing that you could always do, even in real life.

There are already things that cannot be gathered (for 'free'); leather, gem sanders, mercury, wine, ale.....etc etc.

To sum it up; ppl play to relax and have fun - I still can't see the fun in spending 3-5 hours to get resources to make 100 Body rests, so I can fight without dying immediately for an hour or so. Point here is that resources are used for something and not just gathered for the sake of gathering.

Your right..your opinion is worthless.....

lmao!

There are other ways to slow the decline in the market. If NPC's bought our eq, that would set the price for the market....

I had an idea that I thought to be interesting. One suggestion was to limit the amount of harvestable material per hour. I think that's a bad idea, as it is still non-realistic. Another was to have spawn harvesting. This makes sense for things such as flowers and plants, as they are an unlimited resource so long as the seeds are replanted. This however isn't very decent for things such as ore. My suggestion is to have a world (or map) cap. once so many items have been harvested (mined) there is no more left for anyone. Once those items are gone, then they return to the mines to be mined by others. Items should be considered "used" once that raw item is no longer considered part of the new item. For example, Iron bars require iron ore, coal, and fire essences. in obvious creation, the iron ore is still within the iron bar, however, the coal and fire essenses were simply used to heat the iron ore, and thus are used up. So producing the iron bar woudl keep the iron ore out of the mines, yet the coal would be placed back in the mines. Also, when an item is broken or is lost in a bag, then it should return to the mines. Such implementation won't bring a time limit on mining items, will keep prices higher, and will influence curculation (as hoarding items won't bring any good).

The ideea seem interesting (and difficult to implement), but i wonder if people actually ralise all the implecations of having limited global resources as opposed to an individual cap.

Sure the economy will be more healthy, but your current peace-loving newbie-friendly community will be turned in a few month in a greedy resource-grabing capitalist state.

"Get out of my mine n00b, this is the [some tag or another, no names ;)] mine, if you take one tit ore, you're on our blacklist for ever !".

It's all about the oil...

heh, that sounds like a idea i have posted before. only problem with it is market cornering but maybe that is a risk we just have to take...

as for giving stuff away. yes its done in real life derin but in real life giving something away is a person sacrefice. in el its not as i can turn around and make myself another items of the same kind a moment later. or maybe i can make a dusin of them or a 1000. there is no real financial loss for the char to give stuff away at some point as there is no money invested in the item to begin with (the books and skills pays themself back damn fast).

and yes i know there are allready items that cant be harvested, but i think there need to be more...

and as for haveing npcs that buy everything, carefull. we had that and the result was rampant inflation as there was no real removal of money. leading to people walking around with millions in storage allmost over night just by makeing one item in repitition...

one thing that should never be done in this game as suggested previously is taking away monster drops and replacing them with resources. to me the drops of something like a sword or other type of eq are what make fighting so catchy. this si just my opinion and i believe that many players would be drawn away form fighint without that good old ..."oh wow i just got a mm cape"....type of fighting. but hey hey what do i know. ;)

I remember when I got a serp first time...I was a noob, and during 10 mins whole EL knew about it.

"OMG is that...a serp???" Whole *CO* was hyening me to goblin cave in hope I will die and drop serp.

Mwahahahahahahahaha!!! That was the time! That was the time guys.

Regards.

The ideea seem interesting (and difficult to implement), but i wonder if people actually ralise all the implecations of having limited global resources as opposed to an individual cap.

Sure the economy will be more healthy, but your current peace-loving newbie-friendly community will be turned in a few month in a greedy resource-grabing capitalist state.

"Get out of my mine n00b, this is the [some tag or another, no names :D] mine, if you take one tit ore, you're on our blacklist for ever !".

well, there is no property ownership in this game so you cant claim to own a mine. that is unless said mine is in a pk area and the guild manages to hang on to said mine by use of force...

I remember when I got a serp first time...I was a noob, and during 10 mins whole EL knew about it.

"OMG is that...a serp???" Whole *CO* was hyening me to goblin cave in hope I will die and drop serp.

Regards.

lol?

yo spock just cuz i got only 5 posts it dont make me a newb. so what are you guys telling me monsters shoudl not drop good items. well gezz juts take all he fun out of fighting why dont ya:). by the way the mm thing was just an example so dont go crazy bout it. im just as happy with a book or somehtign. just knowing i got a rare drop makes it fun. leave the mystery in fighting or it will become more like misery.

Regards.

lol?

She's just out for attention. :unsure: Not all of us are spoiled.

Regards.

lol?

She's just out for attention. :( Not all of us are spoiled.

i remember CO trying to pk her for it

but she makes it sound like she got the first serp ever ><

about the market economy smeg...i play el for training not buying and spending cash...

but i also think, yo help the eceonomy out, make items alot harder to make!!!

bcoz ppl just make whatever and then sell it for real cheap so they have real easy money....if things were harder to make and more ingreds for it, they woulndt dare selling for cheap...

:angry::P:D

"Get out of my mine n00b, this is the [some tag or another, no names :angry:] mine, if you take one tit ore, you're on our blacklist for ever !".

well, there is no property ownership in this game so you cant claim to own a mine. that is unless said mine is in a pk area and the guild manages to hang on to said mine by use of force...

Economy is the management of limited resources

Unlimited resources means there is no economy?

Communities form to collectively manage limited resources or to steal those resources from another community

Unlimited resources means there is no community?

I know I am gonna get a rep for repeating myself but, what the hell,

There are too many safe areas so:

Thieves can only be ostracised but not punished

Players can mine and manu without end - without danger of theft or monsters

There is no need for law

Also, monsters drop what they dont use - why do you attack a monster which is carrying an MM cape? Surely the cape would stop you from attacking it? Similarly, other hostiles drop weapons and armour they dont use.- How about limiting such drops to the armoured hostiles?

My solution - only IP is non-PK, monsters only drop what they use, no MM cape...

:P

theres not enough drain. _ALL_ things should be manuable and breakable. I have like 10 pickaxes in storage. that is inflation =D

I don't think that unlimited resources is the problem I think that levels are too low, I mean cmon serps at level 38. You may disagree with me but level 38 isn't exactly hard and did ya know theres a god that gives 8+ to manu level? So that lowers the level even MORE! Put serps back at level 68 and remove this "Ahaha I got lucky at level 2 and made a serp" BS

And yes, I know trik wasn't meant to be a market balancing type of dude but he turned out to be one and a good one at that...

So in closing heres all of this in a nutty butter shell, Make levels back to the old level, remove this chance BS and do a item wipe...

Yup posting for him xD