Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Should Newbies Be Automagically Assigned Noob Chn?

I must say that i found the text scrolling on my screen when i first started as a newbie annoying/ugly and confusing. I'm used to it now but it wasn't a nice first impression.

Of course the new startup message helps, but it's still hard for newbies to figure out what text comes from the channel and what is local, and you can still see them talking to thin air (no @s).

I also think that it tends to make people who don't need to be on the newbie channel go there and talk instead of joining the general chat channel (almost noone's ever there...)

So basicly flood newbies with hints about the newbie channel/how to talk, maybe join them there automaticly up to level 7, but don't do it forever...

I agree with newbs starting on ch 1, but the interface is going to look cluttered and could scare them away. If its a busy day and there are loads of players on, the noob channel is going to be full of messages, and the new player will be a little flustered.

If they are 'taught' to join the channel, and then learn, they can then choose to join and talk.

If they are automatically assigned to the newbie channel, they may not know how to speak, or leave the channel for a little while, which could be disheartening and scare them away

So there should be a decent help message which includes method to turn off the channel and clear the screen.

Regards.

If they start out with the option for a tutoraly then i say no channel till they complete it so the ncp can teach them.... if they skip the tutoral throw them in the channel and spam them with hint messages on how to talk in channels or leave channels and join channels

Hello and welcome at Eternal Lands. If you are new here is few useful things for you:
#help_me [message] - sends a message to active moderators.
#jc [number] - joins the channel, channel 1 is newbie help and channel 3 is market channel.
#lc - leave channel and #cls - clears your screen from all messages.
Put @ in front of your message to talk on channel and read Newbie Guides on our official website.

Which part is spammy?

Regards.

Spamming them would be just as bad.

If they use the tutorial NPC, it should be a task in there. If they dont, they should get hints as to where the tutorial NPC is.