Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord_Fender

Hunting Skill

im not to sure what to call this.... but does anyone here know how to gut a deer in real life? well that exactly my point. after we kill something the meat just drops out. there could be a skill we need to be able to get the meat from that animal...... like a rabbit we oculd alreayd do but then you ahve to get the exp and levels to be able to skin a beaver ect...

Answer the following questions:

1) What new things does this suggestion bring to the game? How would it's effects be different from what we have now?

2) How is this beneficial to the game? How would it affect newbies? How would it affect oldbies? How would it affect those that may not be directly affected?

3) What does this do to the game balance? To the economy? Can you identify any possible areas of abuse?

4) How can this be put into effect in a way that maximises the advantages and minimises the disadvantages? Is it worth it?

(Actually, these questions should apply to every suggestion, not just this one, so some questions may be slightly out of point, but still...)

-Lyn-

but does anyone here know how to gut a deer in real life?

I do. And I can tan the hide too.

ps. I didn't read the rest of your post. I just assumed it was crap.

well thanks guys i just read my post and i thought it was crap to..... i didnt relize how stupid it was when i posted at 7am lol (and fred and can gut a turkey and take its fan off, which i made into a plaque)

Answer the following questions:

1) What new things does this suggestion bring to the game? How would it's effects be different from what we have now?

2) How is this beneficial to the game? How would it affect newbies? How would it affect oldbies? How would it affect those that may not be directly affected?

3) What does this do to the game balance? To the economy? Can you identify any possible areas of abuse?

4) How can this be put into effect in a way that maximises the advantages and minimises the disadvantages? Is it worth it?

(Actually, these questions should apply to every suggestion, not just this one, so some questions may be slightly out of point, but still...)

-Lyn-

Ok lets answer the questions:

1) This skill would bring a new demension to the process of hunting making it perhaps a little bit more in depth and maybe more interesting. It would make the act of killing creatures an acual hunt rather than just killing. Ultimately it would change the users perception of the game.

2) It adds a certain amount of realism. Although it makes the game more difficult. The question to answer this question is does the game need to be more difficult?

3) It effects the economy directly and should be reflected in NPC buying prices therefore changing the overall economy. I can't see how it could be abused as long as the effect is global.

4) Only by making the good more valueable to the economy can it be a worth while skill to implement. The skill would most likely be added to the manufatureing catagory.

Really? I get rather different answers:

1) It brings an additional sense of realism to the game, but having hunting skill duplicates attack and defense skills that are already involved in combat. The a/d skills already determine (to some extent) what creatures you can kill (and hence, get drops from). Hunting would show what creatures you can get drops from. Not much new mechanics, except for the realism.

2) Very little benefit, apart from realism and challenge. Newbies would be devastated. Rabbits may be skinned at level 0, but what about the rest? If progression in the hunting skill is perfectly aligned with progression in the att/def skills, then there is no need for hunting. If the hunting skill is NOT perfectly aligned, then it can either progress faster (which makes it useless as a challenge), or progress slower (which makes it come against the problems I describe). Again, newbies, and everyone else who are fighting animals, would be hit hard. Summoners would have a distinct difficulty in obtaining furs and meat. Potion-makers would be worse-off, too. Luckily, it won't affect those fighting monsters and above.

3) This would drive the market price of furs and meat up. Again, this would disadvantage summoners and potion-makers in an already difficult situation. Summoners may not have a big impact in the game, but potion-makers do. With the price of their raw materials going up, it becomes extremely difficult to level up in Potions, so the supply of BRs and MRs especially becomes even more limited than it is now. Many would-be potion-makers would either abandon the trade, or raise their prices. Fighters of the abovesaid monsters now get affected, and either buy more potions from Mira (which helps to take money out of the game), or spend more money (which would make them poorer, and cause a lot of complaints), or fight less and do other stuff (in which case, a large majority of EL who love fighting would be forced to do other stuff they may not like).

4) It's not worth it.

-Lyn-

Really? I get rather different answers:

1) It brings an additional sense of realism to the game, but having hunting skill duplicates attack and defense skills that are already involved in combat. The a/d skills already determine (to some extent) what creatures you can kill (and hence, get drops from). Hunting would show what creatures you can get drops from. Not much new mechanics, except for the realism.

2) Very little benefit, apart from realism and challenge. Newbies would be devastated. Rabbits may be skinned at level 0, but what about the rest? If progression in the hunting skill is perfectly aligned with progression in the att/def skills, then there is no need for hunting. If the hunting skill is NOT perfectly aligned, then it can either progress faster (which makes it useless as a challenge), or progress slower (which makes it come against the problems I describe). Again, newbies, and everyone else who are fighting animals, would be hit hard. Summoners would have a distinct difficulty in obtaining furs and meat. Potion-makers would be worse-off, too. Luckily, it won't affect those fighting monsters and above.

3) This would drive the market price of furs and meat up. Again, this would disadvantage summoners and potion-makers in an already difficult situation. Summoners may not have a big impact in the game, but potion-makers do. With the price of their raw materials going up, it becomes extremely difficult to level up in Potions, so the supply of BRs and MRs especially becomes even more limited than it is now. Many would-be potion-makers would either abandon the trade, or raise their prices.  Fighters of the abovesaid monsters now get affected, and either buy more potions from Mira (which helps to take money out of the game), or spend more money (which would make them poorer, and cause a lot of complaints), or fight less and do other stuff (in which case, a large majority of EL who love fighting would be forced to do other stuff they may not like).

4) It's not worth it.

-Lyn-

As much as I value opinions I feel somewhat apprehensive that you would shoot off a bunch on questions in order to make a point then answer your own questions later in order to further the point. Next time can you just make a point? You just devalued my input. By no means do I mean to say we should argue the contents of each other's opinions.

I apologise. I tend to like the Socratic method a lot, and I guess I'm not in a very good mood today. But nevertheless, my main purpose was to try and help people to think more carefully about the consequences of their suggestions, before posting. This just happened to be the first time I tried this method (ie. Q&A), instead of the usual listing of all the problems with a suggestion.

-Lyn-

I apologise. I tend to like the Socratic method a lot, and I guess I'm not in a very good mood today. But nevertheless, my main purpose was to try and help people to think more carefully about the consequences of their suggestions, before posting. This just happened to be the first time I tried this method (ie. Q&A), instead of the usual listing of all the problems with a suggestion.

-Lyn-

Ok, like I said I just didn't like how it was conducted. Perhaps that's just my own personal complexity. I do like your reasons but maybe it's better to be direct so that the message is without "noise". Thank you for being up front with me. I do value your opinions.

im not to sure what to call this.... but does anyone here know how to gut a deer in real life? well that exactly my point. after we kill something the meat just drops out. there could be a skill we need to be able to get the meat from that animal...... like a rabbit we oculd alreayd do but then you ahve to get the exp and levels to be able to skin a beaver ect...

It's called (field) dressing. :rolleyes: If you'd like an example of how long this takes, I'll show you.

ummm... i am not to crazy about the idea. Just the thought of gutting an animal really grosses me out... I never really liked blood or that sort icky stuff...

well that is just what i think

-kat