Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guthix

Denoobification

I was recently denoobified for flaming in the noob channel. when i asked the mod how long the denoobification would last he said there was no way to reverse it...if this is true don't you think its a little harsh to make it permanate? i could see making it permanate for for people who repeatably cause trouble but not the first time. i think this should be changed cuz the noob channel was my favorite channel and i would be a bit pissed if i would never be able to get on it again...ever. i know i wouldnt be the only one so could you plz change this?

It is not harsh at all. The newbie channel is for NEWBIES, not for non newbies. Non newbies should talk on other channels and let the newbies alone, otherwise they get flooded with text, and it's confusing.

Likewise, I was angry at first because I was denoobed a few days before tons of people had it done to them... now the General Channel #4 is all grown up with 10+ people in there at a time so its not so bad =/

heh, is the code that denoobs people after they pass a point of gametime in? as in when the char have been active for some time in the game they cant access the newbie channel...

if not maybe its time to put it in? hell, even the old ones can start from 0 so that they get some time to move on :)

other then that i still think that the best way to kill offtopic chatter is to enable people to be on more then one channel at ones. that way we get people to move theyre shopping talk to the maket channel and so on...

heh, is the code that denoobs people after they pass a point of gametime in? as in when the char have been active for some time in the game they cant access the newbie channel...

if not maybe its time to put it in? hell, even the old ones can start from 0 so that they get some time to move on :)

I don't think that's a good idea. There are older players that hang out in channel 1 for the sole purpose of helping new players.

Besides, there are three levels which the mods can follow. They can kick you into channel four, they can ban you from channel 1 (the denoob), and they can mute you from ALL channel conversations (people like kayrack who create a disturbance on ANY channel, the first person and only person I have ever muted) for, I believe, 20 minutes. Then the admins can take it a step further, and kick you from the game or ultimately ban you from the game.

It is not harsh at all. The newbie channel is for NEWBIES, not for non newbies. Non newbies should talk on other channels and let the newbies alone, otherwise they get flooded with text, and it's confusing.

Yes but non newbies can still get on and help the newbs which is what I do. Now i wont be able to do that anymore, and most of my friends in the game hung out on newb channel and since there's no friend list in the game its gonna be much harder to keep track of them now.

And also, im not saying there are any now, but later on there will probly be mods that abuse their powers and just ban people they dont like fer the hell of it. if denoobification is irreversible then those innocent players are just shit out of luck.

And also, im not saying there are any now, but later on there will probly be mods that abuse their powers and just ban people they dont like fer the hell of it. if denoobification is irreversible then those innocent players are just shit out of luck.

If you ever see a mod abusing his powers, tell me and i'll deal with him personally. Mod powers should *never* be abused.

Also, I think that in such circumstances a denoobification could be undone with some sneaky hacking on the server. But I doubt that this will ever be nescessary. The only case I can see where this would happen is if a powerhungry mod starts banning other mods. Mods and newbies really are the only ones who truly *require* access to channel 1.

Yeah, but there wont be a mod helping the newbs all the time. Or they don't feel like it, 'cause they wanna work on their char, they don't know, or they're not logged in. That's where normal players fill in the gaps. I for one actually enjoy helping the new players. And I'm no mod, just a pretty old player.

...pretty old? You're ancient...you're older than me :D

:| How come you aren't a mod? Whenever you and I are on at the same time, you are a pretty good newbie helper, up in the ranks as the other mods...hmm...maybe if you really want mod status, you should let Ent or Roja know, and work at it. :D Worked for me :P

Hehe :) I guess it would be nice to be a mod, but I don't really need it or something like that... If I need something done, I'll call you :P

:roll: Oh, I see how it is. Let's all depend on the green elf mod :x :P

Well, I could always ask Moony... :P I just favour you. (No offense Moon...)

Oh, now I really see how it is.

If you favor me more, then beat this ****** level on ROTK for me...omfg NOW I have to deal with RINGWRAITHS oh GREEAAAATTTTT!

You're really happy with that game, aren't you?

*Smiles*

My, you's a fast poster you's is

preeeeccciouuusssssssss...

Took me just as long as it took you :)

Don't delete it o.0 :) On the other hand, you are alowed to delete this post if you reply to my new thread 'languages' :P

Ok then how about this, instead of starting off noobs on the noob channel, how about starting them on the help channel, that way mid level and older level players can help them (yuck) and they can go to noob channel anytime they want to till they get banned =D.

BTW I think I can still go to noob channel, but I havent been there before >.<.

The newbies start on the newbie channel only after they leave the newbie island, because otherwise the channel communication is too distracting, and they don't even know how to turn it off.

There's no point in them to start on teh help channel, since the help channel is meant for relatively advanced help, while the newbie channel is meant for newbish stuff, such as how do I buy thread, etc.

i have said it before and i will say it again.

the problem is in the fact that people can only chat on one channel at a time. there for when they are on the newbie channel they will use it for anything as this is where they are.

now if i could say turn on the trade channel newbie channel and general chat channel i woulduse hte chat channel for talking, trade channel for tradeing and newbie channel for helping newbies, simple as that. people hate changeing channels all the time as when they do they may miss something important.

if they stay on the trade channel all the time they may not be able to ask a question on the newbie channel and if they move over to the newbie channel they may miss a good offer that they want to follow up on. so people try to be practical and make trade offers on the newbie channel...

its the same instinct that made p2p so interesting. why go to you car, drive to the record store and sorting tru the collection there in the hopes that thay may have a record with that one song you want when you can instead fire up your computer, enter the name of the song and get back a big list of offers?