Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Puntif

map display shows fonts instead

As it did under the 0.9.9 client, the 1.0.0 client for me (linux slackware 9.0 ATI radeon using Mesa drivers) instead of showing the map when I press the tab key I see the fonts file "fonts.bmp". After 0.9.9 I had been playing with a patched version of the client that re-issued some of the GL calls in order to be able to use the map (and the autowalker feature).

The 1.0.0 client does not show the other (presumably related) symptom I reported under 0.9.9 where the icons were being displayed using images from the wrong files.

I still blame the drivers, but I wanted to document my problem here because:

1) someone else might have the problem.

2) someone understanding the changes made in 1.0.0 and/or subtleties of openGL might have an idea of a clean way to modify the client to make it work for me instead of the hack job I did to the 0.9.9 client.

I still plan to attempt the upgrade my system in order to get more up-to-date kernel, Xwindows, and drivers. That may solve my problem. Or maybe not.

I resized the Naralik and Morcraven map BMPs to 256x256. There was no change.

I didn't really expect that this would work since last release I was able to get the maps and all the icons to display using the correct textures by patching the client to add some redundant openGL calls. I couldn't find my patched source so I may decide it's easier to try upgrading to the newer Slackware release which contains kernel upgrades and X upgrades which might help.

Also, I've installed EL on my server so it's not as much a priority to get it working on the laptop.

The ATI drivers are kind of shitty (for Linux). Next time you find a problem, please submit a patch, so we can fix it for everyone.