Eternal Lands Official Forums
MannyNZ

Another suggestion to revive PK

My modification (in post #19) of your idea for an invance does fulfill both conditions of

- Level playing field (all start out with the same conditions).

- Benefit (gc) to the character of choice.

An instance/invance along those lines is similar to an idea that we tried several years ago, but then with existing characters. Having one-time use disposable characters (with same name as the character of choice) removes the boring tedious part of training a pk char.

I am not a pk-er and know for certain that no char I would spend months on training would ever be a match for a char from e.g. newhope or other pk-pros. However, spending an hour or few hours with a char that I can shape to my own desires in minutes but have to discard at the end, does sound like fun and is in fact something I am doing in another game.

Sorry Maxine I have totally overseen that part of your post. (I hope it was edited in later, or else I really should get some glasses ;) ).

To be frank i quite much like your suggested idea there. The random spawning bags with gear made me smile and reminded me of the "hunger games" somehow. I would suggestion in addition to that to make this gear not too high (otherwise things could get imbalanced again too much).

What I don't like so much is that the amount of XP depends on your fee you pay. Again players with much money will pay themselves the best starting position which makes this unattractive for new players. Earn your benefits (e.g. find the gear in bags) and not buy yourself a better position with money from the begin with.

I indeed did add that part in an edit later, after I thought some more about your suggestions.

- Level playing field:

All players in the pk-instance have the same starting position, they start with the same amount of xp that they can distribute among the skills to their liking, the same number of pickpoints and could give them some budget for gear as well. From this point on it is about choices you make how you want to make your char. You can go in with a large group and make alliances, or just go in with 4 people and see who comes out on top. A real simple and quick way too to experiment with different builds. You just dont get to keep the char.

Anyone could instantly create a lvl 40 oa char, for higher tiers (60, 80, 100 etc) your participating main char would have to be at least of that level. This means a 170, a 155 and two 130 chars could go together in the 120 tier pk-instance, get the xp to distribute over the skills they want (This part would need implementation), distribute the 120 pickpoints over the perks, attributes and nexi (this would mean you need a starting budget, so you could afford a perk like glow), and select starting gear from a limited menu (up to a budget). Here again you would have to make choices, buy armor or a bow and arrows, essences or weapons. No storage, no restocking, except for the spawned bags and possibly share with friends.

Of course if you kill an opponent and he/she drops stuff, you will have more stoof :D A group going in could also chose to go in no-drop, where that feature would be disabled. Additional gear, maybe based on what players have already purchased, will still drop.

Now instead of grinding on a char that is more or less disposable, you actually create a single purpose char that is disposed at the end. Instead of rich becomes richer, the outcome depends on skill, wise choices in making your char, and some luck.

- Benefit to char of choice:

The gc fee does not all get returned as prizes, thus removing some gc from the game. Fixed tiers have fixed cost, that should make it worthwhile (time-wise) if you win.

You dont bring anything in, fresh naked char but with xp and a budget. You dont take anything out, except a gc prize if you end in the top 3. Getting xp (for the main that was used) might also be an option, but might not be attractive to all.

Main motivation would be:

- Fun

- Challenge

- Ability to test out different builds, and prove yours is best :D

- The gc is a bonus

Your suggestion of the benefit (gc in this case) is nice, but I can imagine we would need maybe an even stronger motivation for people to take part.

How would you balance this system for e.g. rangers, mages, summoners? what about essences for HEs etc. Is it possible to bring in stuff or does all have to be earned in there?

One down side which you have already mentioned yourself is that it a bit to implement ;). The entrance of x players and teleporting to map Y including having a non drop map, I assume that this can be done more easily as similar functions already exist. The creation of an char somehow already exists too (initial char creation or ants).

So out of the blue I wouldn't think it's that much unreal to realize it, yet I don't know and would like to hear some opinion from Radu or Learner or who else is involved ;).

Generally I think we have distilled now those 2 conditions we need in order to create a PK everyone can have fun in. Now it is our task to come up with ideas, and describe them in much detail as possible. ( I really would like to make a separate thread for that only containing the description of the idea, nothing else and hold the discussion in here ).

The reason that I don't expect this will be implemented is that is might take gc out of the game, but does nothing to bring $$ into radu's pocket, and he needs motivation too ;) Edited by Maxine