Eternal Lands Official Forums
tokie

Game Crash

I am not ranting. Just because I don't insert smiley's everywhere does not mean I'm going off on you,or anyone else. But if it would help,I will gladly start doing so,so you and everyone else will know in your heart of hearts that I am only concerned with this issue,and I am not out to cause trouble to for or with you,nor any other player :icon13: in this great game.

The money that it cost to have the map made,the money it cost to have the map implimented,and the anual cost to keep it in game causes me concern,as it is now money wasted,since it cannot be used after the updated version went into use.

With 1.9.2 There were no issues,there were no bugs,and everything was well. :) Now after the new version is in use...suddenly "I am the one with the Bug or should I say,it is our Map,that has the Bug"? How come there were no bugs with 1.9.2 and now there is a bug with the inception of 1.9.3 ?? :confused: ...wait,let me insert a smiley in here so no one thinks I am getting mad...just a second please... :D there we go! So you all say it is the fault in the Map. So be it. It needs to be fixed or replaced. Okay,I get it. Now that there is a new version, our old maps won't work and need to be replaced as the patches are not easily placed and implimented by those of us who don't know the inner workings of a computer. *sigh* but hey, another Smiley,just beacuse kk ? :P

As for using Essies or rings,it cannot be done. As soon as I entered the map,I was booted from the Game,and Windows opened a box and it said something close to : Windows stopped working,we will contact you IF a solution is found,shortly thereafter by the message: No solution has been found and Windows needs to close,with the only option being to Left Click the [CLOSE] tab that is being shown :) so it is at that point that we have no-choice but to sign on the Alt,ask for help,and wait for a Mod to retrieve our Main and place it back in game. We are not,(let me repeat,with a Smiley :P NOT trying to piss off the Mods by repeatedly going into the map...just for something to do) we are downloading the patches as we get them,trying new ideas that are brought to our attention,and going onto the map to see if indeed it will work this time. We are only trying new things,and getting the same results each time,and believe me when I say we would use essies or rings to get ourselves back out,as no-one wants to piss off you,(or anyone else) with our Map issues,as we love and respect all of the Mods who's job it is to assist us lowely players in our attempt at playing this fine game,and do not wish to cause anyone any un-due grief or take your time away from training your own characters. :) as that is not my / our intent at all.---- In Short --- What used to work without bugs,now does not work because the new version say's it has bugs. :omg: ..but hey, here's another Smiley just so you don't think I'm "ranting" again, kk ? :D

With ALL due respect,and a bow in your direction,

Tokie

Yes your map DID have bugs before. The patch you are having trouble with, used to be included in the client. This time it is not.

Your map should not have bugs. The patch is not a "fix", but rather a way for the client to still function in spite of those bugs. It is not required, nor is it going to fix your map. It also is not a solution, but a workaround. Keeping those bugs in your map makes other problems and that is your responsibility, no matter how much money you paid. If you paid too much for a buggy mapmaker, that is not EL's fault.

Let me repeat: the patch is a courtesy to you. By rights, a buggy map that is so bad it makes people crash should not be ingame at all and it is your job to see that it gets fixed as soon as possible.

No solution has been found and Windows needs to close,with the only option being to Left Click the [CLOSE] tab that is being shown :) so it is at that point that we have no-choice but to sign on the Alt,ask for help,and wait for a Mod to retrieve our Main and place it back in game. We are not,(let me repeat,with a Smiley :P NOT trying to piss off the Mods by repeatedly going into the map...just for something to do) we are downloading the patches as we get them,trying new ideas that are brought to our attention,and going onto the map to see if indeed it will work this time.

I understand you are testing it but why not create a new alt to test it and if it crashes just not worry about character?

Some options to fix this:

- Download the patched el.exe radu posted and put it in your EL folder (C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands)

- Get someone to fix the map and put the fixed map in the EL maps folder (C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\maps)

- Copy all files from the 2dobjects folder into a similar named subfolder (C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\2dobjects -> C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\2dobjects\2dobjects)

If you don't know how to do this then ask if someone can give you step by step instructions instead of ranting that they were giving you useless tips.

Ok, i built an installer for that patch; hopefully this works for you: EL-1.9.3-Patch

Sir_Odie you are a Computer GOD ! Thank You ! \O/ Respectfully, Mr. T.C. Cross / aka : Tokie :icon13:

...and to everyone else who tried to help, I thank you just as much for your time,concerns and efforts too :D

For what it's worth, the bug also exists when using a Linux client.

There are a couple possible workarounds.

1) Make a self-directed symlink so that the client thinks that 2dobject/2dobject/ground does exist.

$ cd EternalLands/2dobjects

$ ln -s . 2dobjects

2) If you're on another type of client and don't have the ability to use symlinks, you can just copy the whole directory as a subdirectory of itself. It's less than 3MB.

$ cd EternalLands

$ cp -r 2dobjects /tmp/

$ mv /tmp/2dobjects 2dobjects/

(Do this however you copy a folder into itself on your Windows/Mac/whatever client)

Once the game is able to find the file, problem solved. Obviously, the guild map needs to be corrected. Although having a missing file corrupt the program stack is a bit ... um..... yeah.

Currently I can't access developer.berlios.de web service go get instructions to access the git repository. Did it move? If it becomes available (or if it moved and the link from the downloads page is updated), I'll see about coming up with a code patch and submitting it.

Thanks!

Rhonan

Currently I can't access developer.berlios.de web service go get instructions to access the git repository. Did it move? If it becomes available (or if it moved and the link from the downloads page is updated), I'll see about coming up with a code patch and submitting it.

The current repository is at https://github.com/raduprv/Eternal-Lands and it already contains a fix.

The current repository is at https://github.com/raduprv/Eternal-Lands and it already contains a fix.

The berlios link is also working again. Are the two repositories kept in sync? I'll switch to the github one... just thought I'd check. Possibly the "Source Code from GIT" link on the Download page should be updated if there is a newer repository location.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated as always.

Rhonan

Berlios was due to close down at the start of the year so we moved to github. However, berlios was saved and is now not closing. Github continues to be the primary development location. Once a day, I sync any github commits back to berlios. I assume we will eventually close the berlios repostitory down. We probably need to reopen the discussion in the thread linked above...