Eternal Lands Official Forums
chr0nik

Bag contents auto added to inventory

This isn't exactly a game ending issue, but since the behavior is sporadic it seems buggy. When I click on a bag to walk to it, sometimes the contents of the bag are automatically added to my inventory without me having clicked "get all" or the "bag" window ever being displayed. Is this possibly related to the recent changes to the get all functionality?

I'm running the latest client compiled from cvs on November 29 at 18:21 EST (GMT-5)

Edit: If it is by chance related to get all, I have the option "empty bag automatically" toggled on.

Edited by chr0nik

The new getall code is very simple and only kicks in if you are over a bag and press the "getall" button with the auto option enabled. I can't see how currently, but there may be a timing issue caused by client/server latency. I've never seen the behaviour you described but my connect is normally good. Is your connection laggy? Does it happen after any unusual combination of walking, opening, walking away, clicking without a bag etc?

Edit: OK, Stand on a bag. Then press the HOME key just before clicking the getall button. The bag is not opened/retrieved. Now, some time later, click on a bag to walk to and open it, it will be opened and retrieved immediately. Could this be your issue too? I hate client/sevrer timing issues. :omg:

Edited by bluap

It doesnt even have to be a timing issue from my experience.

• Drop a Bag
  • Look inside it
  • Close it.
  • Press the get all button
  • It picks the contents up, without opening it up and looking inside first

Not sure if thats a bug either. I guess, the logic is, if you know what it is, and press get-all, you want to pic it up, not look inside. Not sure if this is what chr0nik is talking about.

It doesnt even have to be a timing issue from my experience.

• Drop a Bag
  • Look inside it
  • Close it.
  • Press the get all button
  • It picks the contents up, without opening it up and looking inside first

Not sure if thats a bug either. I guess, the logic is, if you know what it is, and press get-all, you want to pic it up, not look inside. Not sure if this is what chr0nik is talking about.

So, are you using a recent CVS version of the client (or the 1.9.1 testing version)? Because, if you not then whatever happens in the client you are using is not really valid to this discussion. The client has been changed to give defined behaviour to the getall button, in the old 1.9.0 client behaviour was mixed.

If you are using a new client version then there are two intended behaviours when you are over a bag and press the getall button. The behaviour depends on the state of the new "auto get bag contents" option that is on the rick-click menu of the button.

1) If auto get is off, the bag should always open but nothing should be retrieved.

2) If auto get is on, the bag should open, the contents immediately moved into you inventory and the bag destroyed.

The caveat for 2) is that you must have space in your inventory. If not, the bag is left open on the ground.

It's as simple as that so and other behaviour with a new client is a bug.

The new getall code is very simple and only kicks in if you are over a bag and press the "getall" button with the auto option enabled.  I can't see how currently, but there may be a timing issue caused by client/server latency.  I've never seen the behaviour you described but my connect is normally good.  Is your connection laggy?  Does it happen after any unusual combination of walking, opening, walking away, clicking without a bag etc?

Edit: OK, Stand on a bag.  Then press the HOME key just before clicking the getall button.  The bag is not opened/retrieved.  Now, some time later, click on a bag to walk to and open it, it will be opened and retrieved immediately. Could this be your issue too?  I hate client/sevrer timing issues.  :omg:

The only time I've noticed this is when I'm training a/d and harvesting between respawns and I leave a bag of a few of some flower at the harv location so I can click it and often walk right back to that spot. Each time I walk back to that bag I drop another 1 or more flowers in to keep it alive and maybe 2 out of 100 times the contents of the bag are emptied into my inventory simply by clicking on it and walking to it. I sometimes use home to flee while training but I'm not using home to walk onto the bag. I do click getall to get the contents of whatever the mob dropped each time prior to walking back to the harv bag.

I do experience regular lag on my connection. Honestly it's not a huge deal, especially if no one else has a problem with it and it's a potentially complicated timing issue.

I've committed to CVS a simple change to time-out the auto-empty function of the getall button press after a second. Should stop the issue happening if it's due to the case I stated and will be harmless otherwise.

Edited by bluap