Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Goot

3d object files corrupt

This is the second time this has happened. Both times after the new client, never before. After the first time i got threw out all the EL files and uninstalled. After i re-downloaded everything was fine for a few months.. but now it is happening again.

I keep getting alerts like this, for various objects in game:

(daniken on main)Eternal Lands:el.exe-Corrupt File

The file or directory C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\3dobjects\temple1.e3d is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility.

I follow the instruction multiple times, but it changes nothing. I also got this one:

The file or directory C:\$Mft is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility.

Is this just my EL files? Is my computer going to explode? Someone help please :medieval:

It appears your hard drive is having serious issues, you should take steps to backup all your important data NOW.

Did you run chkdsk as instructed? What was the outcome?

It's possible restoring your MFT from the MFT mirror will simply fix the problem, chkdsk would usually (attempt to) do this... but it's also quite possible that your HDD is have a physical failure of some sort. You want to enlist the help of capable computer tech... or a newb computer tech who will simply sell you a new HDD cause they don't know how to manually recover the MFT from the MFT mirror.

backup backup backup. and not just that, but REGULARLY. korrode is right, do it NOW.

getting corrupted files is a sure sign of hardware problems.

and yes, sometimes a virus will corrupt your files.

even if you defrag or chkdsk regularly, if your harddrive is nearing it's MTBF (mean time between failures), it's time for you to consider replacing it.

for backup purposes, try researching on how norton ghost works. i use that for harddrive image backups, so even if i lose the whole drive, i just restore the image of my old harddrive to the new one, and it has all the settings and files of the old one, provided your image is the most current backup.

Raz is correct when your current situation is considered; do not defrag whilst the drives integrity is in question.

(Not saying DibClark was suggesting it for you atm, but just in case you interpreted it that way.)

Edited by Korrode

Thank you very much all, backing up my important stuff, and will have someone look at cpu in a few days.

Some time ago while trying to download NES rom i may have gotten the virus that gives you misspelled virus threat messages, then directs you to their anti-virus software. Anyone know what i'm referring to? My friend tried to get rid of it and i thought it was gone, this could be related though. A few of my desktop icons have been randomly changing appearance.

I ran CHKDSK and re-downloaded EL again and all seems well for now.. thanks again, much appreciated :)

(will post the CHKDSK info when i return later)

then directs you to their anti-virus software. Anyone know what i'm referring to?

Yeah 'rogue' antivirus softwares, the most common one I see refers to itself simply as "Personal Anti-Virus".

Malware Bytes will get rid of this type of software.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

If you want to be extra sure, once done scanning and removing with Malware Bytes, then do the same with SuperAntiSpyware (lame name I know, but it's the best anti-spyware scanner around atm in my experience):

http://www.superantispyware.com/

EDIT: Removed suggestion of a further step that could be taken due to possible damage that can be inflicted on the system by performing it. If the above 2 pieces of software combined with an anti-virus software don't remove all nasty stuff, then time to take the system to a tech.

Also, if you're not already running anti-virus software, Avira offer their anti-virus software for Windows available free for personal use.

Edited by Korrode

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this