Eternal Lands Official Forums
r0wan

Save map marks, notes, etc. on server

For people who play EL on multiple computers such as a desktop while at home and a laptop when travelling, having #markpos and Notepad entries saved locally on the client side can be frustrating. I would like to suggest that character based settings be moved to the server while client specific options such as video resolution remain with the client.

There is an advantage to the current method however. I can grep the local client files to find information in chat logs, #markpos, or notepad entries. Maybe a synchronization mechanism between clients?

Thank you for your consideration,

r0wan

Edited by r0wan

I have the feeling that Radu would probably not be willing to deal with the continually growing clutter of data (perhaps containing the quest log too). I know it would give me a headache thinking about it at least.

He might be more willing to let people select a 3rd party service to hold the files.

A good way to do this though is to have the settings folder (.elc for the linux folk and something like "My Documents/Eternal Lands/" for Windows folk) saved on something like a flash drive. I forget where in the forums, but someone has a how-to on how to set that up.

I think Windows has a sychronization feature to keep various copies of data up to date. Not sure.

If Radu does hold the data for you, I hope he excludes the quest log entries for any quests that are complete or excludes the whole quest log. Otherwise, EL might go down for disk cleanup.

IMO #ignores should definitly be stored in the server, because when you want to ignores someone, it doesn't matter where you play from... you just don't want to ear a single word from him!!

You could mount an online storage and link your EL files to it ...

Some service like dropbox. There are quite lot of them and also for free.

Then when you play from another computer, just mount it and synchronize.