Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bahamut_Zero

Specific Creatures that can only be targeted with a bow

After i killed the falcon that destroyed my steel shield with the first hit he inflected..

I was wondering..

I don´t know exactly what to search for to know if someone alredy suggested it, so here it is..

Killing birds like this is a bit stupid... you are down here, the bird is up there flying.. you click attack .. and it just comes down to be owned???

Looks like WWE...if you know what i mean..

To kill birds you should need the archery skill, and that gave me the idea, why not make birds only attackable with the ranging skill, and put in 1 or 2 new monsters that fly and can only be killed this way...

What do you people think?

Edited by Bahamut_Zero

A good idea, makes the game more realistic, but I do not think people will like it. because the archery skill is so hard and expensive to level

"Radu said...

The idea is that it is posible (but haven't decided yet) to give a prize to everyone in an instance if all the monsters are killed. So I don't want to encourage people to bring non combatant characters in there only so that they can get prizes.

But yes, perhaps I will take the ranging skill into account as well."

This ent post on his forum made me think...

We could use this type of creatures on instances.

Now if you get some flying creatures that shoot poison (or something else) and can only be killed by a ranger, that would require even more tatics.

To make it even more complex, put in creatures that can only be targeted by ranging/magic, some only by ranging and some only by magic.

So you need a good team to instance.

And we get a more logical way to kill birds... or dragons if they learn to fly :P

PS: I read a bit more about what people and radu think about instances, and i think radu is already thinking of making monsters with diferent weaknesses, so now maybe he should do it while taking into account this flying idea?

Edited by Bahamut_Zero

A good idea, makes the game more realistic, but I do not think people will like it. because the archery skill is so hard and expensive to level

That's silly. If its too expensive, don't train it. Instances and Ice Dragons aren't cheap either. :P

Edited by Shujral

How would the creatures then counter-attack? If they can only be killed with ranged, they won't come down? or would they crap on you to death or smth? not thought out competely.

How would the creatures then counter-attack? If they can only be killed with ranged, they won't come down? or would they crap on you to death or smth? not thought out competely.

The first thing that comes to mind is a ranged counter-attack such as life-drain, mana-drain, or poison. Basically a form of magic counter-attack. Once you "engage" it (fire the first shot) it counter attacks at some rate (say once per second) until someone dies or (if possible) someone flees (since it's not a melee attack, you may not be "locked", so a flee could be as simple as walking out-of-range just as it may fly out-of-range).

Entropy will need to speak on the complexity of implementing such an attack system for these special creatures.

Interesting idea I think it would add some diversity to the fighting system to have ranging and magic only fightable creatures.

Well some birds do attack if threatened and then usually bring friends. Perhaps up the def. against a ranged attack so it takes more shots to kill but if hit with in the "attack zone" then It will swoop like normal and then send out a call to other birds near by to auto attack. Would be an interesting feature since it's an animal normally non-aggressive till provoked and then any near by "allies" become aggressive for a certain amount of time.

It's pry photoshopped but: Birds Attack :P

Edited by Elf_Ninja