Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Bot marketplaces

Bot marketplaces  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have bot marketplaces?

• Yes
    • No

This would be extremely easy clientside but with a major caveat:

What happens when you walk onto a guarded map and die?

I see your point but if I walked onto a guarded map I'd probably die before I saw what killed me anways, lol :)

Since guard bots are required to give a warning, you'd at least hear something first.

Edited by bkc56

There are 2 points that no one has brought up yet. First up is the loony leopard. Who wants to risk life and limb (or gc and items) to trade with bots on C2 when they could lose everything they're carrying to lenny. That reduces trades to the time when lenny is asleep. Secondly, this bot free-for-all seems to have started when 'free hosting' started. If bots are to be moved, choose the ones that are getting a free ride. Between myself and LadyBea we have our own tiny 'shopping mall' in Tarsengaard. Tarsengaard is a scantily bot-populated map; loads of room for more bots or a marketplace.

While I don't relish the idea of yet another arguement over this, I think you're giving free hosting the blame when you're not considering its positive effects.

First, you may be right, free hosting may have indeed resulted in more bots. I'm not sure why this is seen as bad, I see it as an oppurtunity for those who can't afford to pay for hosting a chance to have a bot. Also, this _should_ mean that with more bots, more bricks to radu. Instead of paying 100$ a year for hosting, many of the 'previous' users of the pay services are now having more than one bot and buying more blessings with the money they save (more bricks...) Secondly, I'm not sure it's a good assumption that just because you pay, you're getting more.... That may indeed be a fact, but unless you've tried all the services (or at least have a good base knowledge of their differences,) it's probably not safe to compare them. Thirdly, as Pie pointed out, why should people get the bad end of the stick because they choose not to pay for hosting, the money paid for hosting doesn't benefit the game at all, so why would not paying detract?

We're trying to help people with free hosting, not hurt people (or the game...) Please don't make us the scapegoat :)

The way i see it.

i have 2 bots.. 1 of them is in a spot that may need a marketplace b/c the bots block the scenery.. *PV* . i would be happy to place that bot in a market place..

but my other bot. is in the middle of no where basically. and no other bots anywhere near it..and no pretty sites to see. i would definatly NOT agree to moving it to a market place..

so saying this as an example, i think it all depends on the area. i dont think it should be generalized as. "all bots will have tobe renegotiated and placed in appropriate marketplaces".. but instead "certain area's need to be fixed and renegotiated due to the number of bots or loss of 'ambience'."

not all bots should be moved.. just the crowded areas and such.

i also think once this is decided as a definite yes or no.. assuming it will be a yes. this topic should be moved to the bot owners forum so only bot owners and radu/roja can discuss the placement and organization of the marketplaces..

its public opinion that they want them moved.. but i think the general public shouldnt have a say in how its done.. just bot owners and radu/roja..

There are 2 points that no one has brought up yet. First up is the loony leopard. Who wants to risk life and limb (or gc and items) to trade with bots on C2 when they could lose everything they're carrying to lenny. That reduces trades to the time when lenny is asleep. Secondly, this bot free-for-all seems to have started when 'free hosting' started. If bots are to be moved, choose the ones that are getting a free ride. Between myself and LadyBea we have our own tiny 'shopping mall' in Tarsengaard. Tarsengaard is a scantily bot-populated map; loads of room for more bots or a marketplace.

While I don't relish the idea of yet another arguement over this, I think you're giving free hosting the blame when you're not considering its positive effects.

First, you may be right, free hosting may have indeed resulted in more bots. I'm not sure why this is seen as bad, I see it as an oppurtunity for those who can't afford to pay for hosting a chance to have a bot. Also, this _should_ mean that with more bots, more bricks to radu. Instead of paying 100$ a year for hosting, many of the 'previous' users of the pay services are now having more than one bot and buying more blessings with the money they save (more bricks...) Secondly, I'm not sure it's a good assumption that just because you pay, you're getting more.... That may indeed be a fact, but unless you've tried all the services (or at least have a good base knowledge of their differences,) it's probably not safe to compare them. Thirdly, as Pie pointed out, why should people get the bad end of the stick because they choose not to pay for hosting, the money paid for hosting doesn't benefit the game at all, so why would not paying detract?

We're trying to help people with free hosting, not hurt people (or the game...) Please don't make us the scapegoat :)

Interesting thoughts Moebird ;)

Well, I spend 90% of my time in game in C2, be it day or night. I absolutely do not worry about Leo to rob me when I go shopping. However I understand some players can worry about that. But the decision on bot placement should be still mostly in bot's owner hands - if the owner decides to place a bot in a scary place that people are afraid to visit and avoid, this is his/her busness strategic decision (as long as all other requirements are met and location has been approved).

As to the free hosting service it is surely creates opportunity for more bots to be in game but as Dogbreath said it is beneficial for Radu and therefore for all of us I guess.

i like the place where my bot is at, but as long as almost every map has a not too small, not too big marketplace then its fine in my opinion.

im just wondering though, is it possible to get an idea of the places you have in mind for those marketplaces Roja? maps with an indication of the marketplace location or something

Edited by Boedha