Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LeGeNd

help me help me

"help" is listed as one of the Console commands in the Manual. I have seen "help" come across a chat channel many times and when I inquire as to the help needed, I usually get no response. Perhaps people are reading the manual and trying the command (albeit, syntactically incorrect)?

you might have unzipped the game in a wrong way. if you open the folder where you unzipped the game and look around, do you see any sub-folders what so ever? if you dont, reinstall the game. I guess from the way you formed the question, you get the words [username] and [password] written on the screen, but no boxes to fill them into. This could be the effect of unzipping the file without sub's. Try doing what i told you (simply install winzip, right-drag the zipfile to the desktop and choose: unzip to directoru el_880 or whatever)

It would be nice if it were actually possible to reinstall this game. Unfortunately all we get is a current directory zip file. We should at least get a subdirectory for the game to extract to when we unzip it. A full-game zip file should extract to something like "./el-0.8.8" so downloaded zips can be carefully stored in a higher directory than the game. Update zips should extract to the corresponding subdirectory for their version. That is, an update to 0.8.8 should extract to "./el-0.8.8" or similar.

Downloading new full-game zips would not mess with old "installs" or should I say "extracts" instead. They would just extract to their directory.

Easy to suggest. Hard to put past stubborn people. Haha.

i think that would mean alot of work from entropys side. And im not sure that thats what he needs right now. You can simply re-install the game by downloading the full version again, or download the update and unzip it, overwrite all the files again, and woah. Ive never had any problems installing the game. The most common problem is when people open the zip file in winzip-classic and just drag and drop ALL the files to one directory. This removes all of the sub-folders, and causes the game to not run at all.. or to let you open it, but get a hell loads of error messages.

i think that would mean alot of work from entropys side. And im not sure that thats what he needs right now. You can simply re-install the game by downloading the full version again, or download the update and unzip it, overwrite all the files again, and woah. Ive never had any problems installing the game. The most common problem is when people open the zip file in winzip-classic and just drag and drop ALL the files to one directory. This removes all of the sub-folders, and causes the game to not run at all.. or to let you open it, but get a hell loads of error messages.

Not even a lot of work. Download some Gaim, Xchat, Kopete, Opera, Mozilla, etc. tarballs or bz2 files. You'll notice a similar scheme used by all the devs of these programs. It's quite an understood standard actually.

Heretik, I assume you are a Linux user. Most of the windows users do not like that thing, I myself don't like it. You can always copy the zipfile inside of the directory where EL is, unzip it there, erase it afterwards.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this