Eternal Lands Official Forums
Saelf

Add Sky Support into Linux version

I've tried compile EL code from CVS so many times.

The sun, clouds and stars never appear.

I've copied all BMP files from "sky_cursor-textures.zip" to my_EL_DIR/textures/ downloaded from http://users.on.net/~gingerman/sky_cursor-textures.zip

I want have sky and camera support into my Linux version of EL. What I'm doing wrong?

The error_log file show me this:

[00:36:51] unknown element for skybox: clouds_rain
[00:36:51] unknown element for skybox: clouds_detail_rain
[00:36:51] unknown element for skybox: fog_rain
[00:36:51] unknown element for skybox: light_ambient_rain
[00:36:51] unknown element for skybox: light_diffuse_rain
[00:36:51] Error while loading the skybox definitions.
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'clouds_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'clouds_detail_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'clouds_rainy' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'clouds_detail_rainy' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'sky5' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'sky1_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'sky2_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'sky3_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'sky4_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'sky5_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'fog_sunny' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'fog_rainy' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'light_ambient_rainy' element!
[00:36:51] no color key defined for 'light_diffuse_rainy' element!

My make.conf file have this:

# My selected options
FEATURES += DEBUG						   # (undocumented)
FEATURES += DEBUG_XML					   # Enables missing (optional) XML string property messages
FEATURES += SKY_FPV						 # Use skybox with clouds/stars/etc, enable first person view, and other misc changes from Emajekral (Experimental) Extract http://users.on.net/~gingerman/sky_cursor-textures.zip into datadir/textures/
FEATURES += NEW_CURSOR					  # New coloured cursors made by Emajekral (Experimental) Extract http://users.on.net/~gingerman/sky_cursor-textures.zip into datadir/textures/
FEATURES += NEW_WEATHER					 # new weather effects
FEATURES += NIGHT_TEXTURES				  # enable night textures. changes textures at night to cooler colors

# Other Options
#FEATURES += CONTEXT_MENUS_TEST			  # Enable "#cmwin" command to help test/demo the context menu code
#FEATURES += DEBUG_POINT_PARTICLES		   # (undocumented)
#FEATURES += DEBUG_TIME					  # Fakes the acceleration of time for use in debugging shadows and the like.
#FEATURES += DEBUG_MAP_SOUND				 # Adds (some??) map boundary areas to tab maps and additional logging to stdout
#FEATURES += ECDEBUGWIN					  # press ctrl-alt-c to open the Eye Candy debug window: trigger most effects without casting spells or server side events
#FEATURES += EL_BIG_ENDIAN				   # (undocumented)	FIXME: Should be removed and set in the code (as is done for OSX. Is it needed on any other platform?)
#FEATURES += EXTRA_DEBUG					 # (undocumented)
#FEATURES += NEW_LIGHTING					# (undocumented) (do not work with SKY_FPV)
#FEATURES += MEMORY_DEBUG					# gather information about memory allocation and freeing
#FEATURES += MINIMAP2						# Disables the rectangular minimap and enables the rotating minimap
#FEATURES += MISSILES_DEBUG				  # Enables debug for missiles feature. It will create a file missiles_log.txt file in your settings directory.
#FEATURES += MUTEX_DEBUG					 # (undocumented)
#FEATURES += NO_PF_MACRO					 # (undocumented)
#FEATURES += OPENGL_TRACE					# make far more frequent checks for OpenGL errors (requires -DDEBUG to be of any use). Will make error_log.txt a lot larger.
#FEATURES += PARANOID_CAMERA				 # (undocumented)
#FEATURES += PAWN							# Experimental, not for release, will need server support to function properly. This *will* eat your cat. You've been warned. Enables the Pawn abstract machine.
#FEATURES += SIMPLE_LOD					  # enable a simplistic distance culling to improve performance
#FEATURES += TIMER_CHECK					 # (undocumented)
#FEATURES += UID							 # use unique ID sent from server for custom looks. (INCOMPLETE)
#FEATURES += UNROLL4						 # (undocumented)
#FEATURES += USE_ACTORS_OPTIMIZER	   # Enables actor optimizations
#FEATURES += USE_BOOST
#FEATURES += USE_TR1						 # Needs tr1 version of c++ stl, used for NEW_FILE_IO
#FEATURES += WRITE_XML					   # dangerous to use, will wipe out some XML files that are part of the main game download
#FEATURES += ZLIBW						   # Enables being able to write gzip compressed files, requires -lzlib/-lz needed for map_editor

# Options working
FEATURES += ANTI_ALIAS					  # allows to enable/disable anti-aliasing in el.ini
FEATURES += CLUSTER_INSIDES				 # Group objects into separate clusters for clipping on inside maps
FEATURES += CONTEXT_MENUS				   # Enable context menus
FEATURES += CUSTOM_LOOK					 # allows you to customize your look.
FEATURES += CUSTOM_UPDATE				   # allows autoupdating of custom look information
FEATURES += DYNAMIC_ANIMATIONS			  # Synchronizes animation to FPS instead of a fixed timer
FEATURES += FUZZY_PATHS					 # Makes Tab Map walking not always follow exaclty the same path
FEATURES += NEW_ALPHA					   # (undocumented)
FEATURES += NEW_CAMERA_MOTION			   # Changes the behaviour of the camera by replacing the rotation duration by a constant deceleration. This gives a better control on the positionning of the camera.
FEATURES += NEW_MAP_FORMAT				  # (undocumented)
FEATURES += NEW_SELECTION			# Enables new selection system. Needs OpenGL 1.3 or GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
FEATURES += NEW_SOUND					   # Enables extended sound effects system - almost pointless without OGG_VORBIS
FEATURES += NEW_TEX						 # use new texture coordinates for enhanced actors
FEATURES += PNG_SCREENSHOT				  # make screenshots in W3C's PNG format in game, requires libpng
FEATURES += TEXT_ALIASES			# Text aliases
FEATURES += USE_INLINE					  # enable some optimizations to use inline functions instead of pure function calls
FEATURES += USE_SHADER					  # Using shaders for water rendering. Needs NEW_FILE_IO
FEATURES += ZLIB							# Enables being able to read gzip compressed files, requires -lzlib/-lz

Edited by Saelf

I downloaded Windows Pre RC from this link:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_pre_rc_26_06_08.exe

Hmmm, it might be worth getting the one from the RC2 thread and comparing them. That is the RC1 thread and if you check the date, it is in 5 days time... o.O

(the date was meant to be 26_05_08 I assume).

Now my EL version has all files needed. There are another way to download this needed files?

Not that I'm aware of.

Hmmm, it might be worth getting the one from the RC2 thread and comparing them. That is the RC1 thread and if you check the date, it is in 5 days time... o.O

(the date was meant to be 26_05_08 I assume).

(...)

Not that I'm aware of.

Hum... I compiled the bin file from source...

But where I download the last data files then?

Hum... I compiled the bin file from source...

But where I download the last data files then?

Sorry, not running Windows I haven't bothered with the RC's (I'm also busy working on the sound code) so I'm not aware of if either have or don't have the data files with the bin. Basically, it was a guess.

By "comparing them", I meant the contents of both EXE's to check if there were any different client files added in RC2. If there are no client files in RC2 then assume the ones in RC1 are correct.

Ent normally doesn't provide separate data file archives for us Linux/Mac users, he assumes we can all get them from the EXE's. :wub:

I think I did provide a zip file a while ago, but I forgot the thread or the URL.

Anyway, wine should have no issues extracting the files, no?

I think I did provide a zip file a while ago, but I forgot the thread or the URL.

Anyway, wine should have no issues extracting the files, no?

Well, extract from wine is not problem. :-)

But how can I compile always the last release (for some tests, for example) and have the data files for new things at my pc?

For example, somebody is making a new water who uses some new data files. The new water is experimental, and do not exists RC for Windows. I get EL from source code and compile with the support, where I get the new data files?

Well, extract from wine is not problem. :-)

But how can I compile always the last release (for some tests, for example) and have the data files for new things at my pc?

For example, somebody is making a new water who uses some new data files. The new water is experimental, and do not exists RC for Windows. I get EL from source code and compile with the support, where I get the new data files?

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your question.

You can keep your source code up to date by using the CVS command "cvs update -d" in the elc directory. The current RC version is compiled, I understand, with the default options from make.defaults plus SKY_FPV, NEW_WEATHER and MINIMAP2; just uncomment these options and re-compile the client.

When developers add features that require new data files, the files are normally made available for download. The programming forum threads related to the feature are the best place to get these files normally. When we get near a new release and Entropy produces a RC version, all the new data files are provided in one download. This is normally a zip exe but as you have found, being resourceful Linux users we can extract these files using wine.

You may have seen my forum posts about Debian/Ubuntu packages. I have produced RC versions of these packages and intention to keep them up to date with other RC versions. If you don't use one of those distros or don't want to use my packages, the data files used by the packages are available here.

Edited by bluap