Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DarkestDawning

El client crashes with new video card

Guest DarkestDawning

:D

I just updated my video card to a geforce 7600 video card.. the client has worked well on my system

intill installing the video card, I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and installed the el-150 patch

and the client closes just after entering player name and password. new card is a PNY vcg76512sapb

Any suggestions?

:D

Try running it in poor man mode:

- BEFORE logging in type ctrl+o, this should give you the options window. If you do not see that, try toggling with alt+w to get the 'windows on top'.

- in the 'Detail' tab select 'poor man'

- click ctrl+o again to close the options window and continue to log in normally.

If this works, you have issues with the new video card/drivers.

- Turn all graphic related options off and set all to default.

- Then turn poor man off and try logging in again.

- Keep adding video option one-by-one, until it doesnt work anymore and then play without that option.

Hope this helps.

Guest DarkestDawning
What drivers version do you have?

Download latest driver set from nvidia after installing card

also tried the el 160 rc mentioned in general chat

original crashes immediately

full also crashes

Does the report to windows really help anyone?

no water gets to log in screen and then will close just like 150 does for me..

will try poor man option when i get home tonite.

:laugh:

Ok, what is the name of the file with the drivers from Nvidia?

Because I have a Gforce 7300 card (so pretty similar) and it works fine with the patch.

Try to disable the sound, and also post the content of your errors log.

Guest DarkestDawning
Ok, what is the name of the file with the drivers from Nvidia?

Because I have a Gforce 7300 card (so pretty similar) and it works fine with the patch.

Try to disable the sound, and also post the content of your errors log.

The driver file is

169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql

where would the error log be located?

there is nothing in el directorys named errors

btw. poor man with all graphic options shut off has same result.

event viewer shows

event id 1001

fault bucket 576631328

Guest DarkestDawning
The error log should be somewhere in: /documents and settings/user name/my documents/eternal lands/

ok found it...

Log started at 2008-02-20 06:53:58 localtime (Eastern Standard Time)

[06:53:58] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el.exe". Failover to server: main.

[06:53:58] Using the server profile: main

[06:53:58] Warning: Didn't find your data_dir, using the current directory instead. Please correct this in your el.ini . Given data_dir was: "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands"

[06:54:04] Error opening sound configuration file

[06:54:28] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[06:54:28] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[06:54:29] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates150/files.lst

[06:54:30] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

[06:54:30] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[06:54:31] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates/custom_files.lst

If your install of windows is in a language other than english or you installed to a different location than the default, your #data_dir needs to be corrected. Open el.ini with a text editor, such as notepad. If view file extensions is disabled, it will show up with the filename of "el" and filetype of "Configuration File". el.ini is in the same place as your error log.

Find "#data_dir = C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands" and change it to the directory to which EL was installed.

Guest DarkestDawning

If your install of windows is in a language other than english or you installed to a different location than the default, your #data_dir needs to be corrected. Open el.ini with a text editor, such as notepad. If view file extensions is disabled, it will show up with the filename of "el" and filetype of "Configuration File". el.ini is in the same place as your error log.

Find "#data_dir = C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands" and change it to the directory to which EL was installed.

Before the first posting i uninstalled and reinstalled the game

have done so again and am still getting the no data_dir

error . El-150_install has both times been installed with english and the default directory

so if it isn't installing the data.dir directory is there a way for me to add it manually?

Thanks....

Guest DarkestDawning
Did you try to create a new character and see if it still crashes?

Yes, Just tried it

also

el150 install results in window closing after leaving log in screen with no notices or warning

with el patch 150 i get the windows" the program had to close would u like to report?" message

Miss the game :) but not sure if i am ready to go back to onboard 16 meg video... sigh..

Guest DarkestDawning
Do you see the opening screen message? The gree one that says something like: "Welcome to Eternal lands, blah blah"?

The program starts normally with splash screen

loads actor definitions and then goes to dos looking screen

logs in to server normally

goes into input name and password screen

input name and password hit log in and that screen closes and game screen never opens.

while in login screen ctrl <key> will bring up sub screens like options..

Hope that helps....

Guest DarkestDawning

Are you trying to log in with a character name and password you didn't create yet from the New Character screen?

[/quote

new char screen will not come up either

have been trying to log in with the character ive ben using the last 9 months or so,,

Guest DarkestDawning
I had the same problem with 7900 gt with newest drivers, i tried to install older and it works

went back as far as version 90 drivers

any video drivers except latest cause crash imediately on startup

will try to reload windows on my machine soon.

Guest Guest_Cnote_*

I downloaded and installed the el_pre_rc_01_03_08.exe i logged in, but now my character can't harvest, or leave any areas with doorways and i can't use the toolbar to toggle use, trade,look...etc

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this