Eternal Lands Official Forums
popeye

CVS Error

How do i know if it's working? I start the client from /usr/local/games/el >>el.x86-64.linux.bin

I didn't see any error messages after this one.

It's compiled now. Assuming that you have /usr/local/games/el set as your data_dir in /home/popeye/.elc/main/el.ini, run using "./el.x86.linux.bin" from within the elc directory. If your data_dir is not set (you should set it), try "cd /usr/local/games/el" then "/home/popeye/elc/el.x86.linux.bin". The fact that the compiled el is called el.x86.linux.bin rather than el.x86-64.linux.bin may be confusing but it is not important for it to work.

I think it may be better to UNSET the data_dir instead. Then, when it runs it, it will put an entry "./" in there which means to look at the data files that are in the directory of the client executable that you are running. That should ensure that you won't run the thing with the wrong data when you have more than one copy of EL. When a person has more than one version of the client, it is not possible to do things right with anything else than "./".

Make a backup of your settings directory (~/.elc for linux) just incase it tries to wipe your counters and spells and such.

djr@popeye-laptop:~/elc$ make -f Makefile.linux

CC 2d_objects.o

CC 3d_objects.o

CC actor_scripts.o

CC actors.o

CC alphamap.o

CC asc.o

CC astrology.o

CC bbox_tree.o

CC books.o

CC buddy.o

CC buffs.o

CC bags.o

CC cache.o

CC cal.o

CC calc.o

CC chat.o

CC cluster.o

CC colors.o

CC console.o

CC consolewin.o

CC counters.o

counters.c: In function ‘load_counters’:

counters.c:212: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c:213: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c:216: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c:217: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c: In function ‘flush_counters’:

counters.c:259: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c:260: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c:261: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c:262: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

counters.c:263: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC cursors.o

CC dialogues.o

CC draw_scene.o

CC eye_candy_debugwin.o

CC elconfig.o

CC elwindows.o

CC encyclopedia.o

CC errors.o

errors.c: In function ‘open_log’:

errors.c:25: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

errors.c: In function ‘log_conn’:

errors.c:153: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC events.o

CC filter.o

filter.c: In function ‘load_filters_list’:

filter.c:414: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC font.o

CC framebuffer.o

CC frustum.o

CC gamewin.o

CC gl_init.o

CC hud.o

CC help.o

CC highlight.o

CC ignore.o

ignore.c: In function ‘add_to_ignore_list’:

ignore.c:48: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

ignore.c:49: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

ignore.c: In function ‘remove_from_ignore_list’:

ignore.c:89: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

ignore.c:90: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

ignore.c: In function ‘load_ignores_list’:

ignore.c:279: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC init.o

init.c: In function ‘read_config’:

init.c:232: warning: ignoring return value of ‘chdir’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

init.c: In function ‘read_bin_cfg’:

init.c:260: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

init.c: In function ‘save_bin_cfg’:

init.c:585: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

init.c: In function ‘init_stuff’:

init.c:618: warning: ignoring return value of ‘chdir’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC interface.o

CC items.o

CC io/e3d_io.o

CC io/elc_io.o

In function ‘memcpy’,

inlined from ‘read_and_check_elc_header’ at io/elc_io.c:54:

/usr/include/bits/string3.h:52: warning: call to __builtin___memcpy_chk will always overflow destination buffer

CC io/map_io.o

CC io/elpathwrapper.o

CC io/xmlcallbacks.o

CC keys.o

keys.c: In function ‘read_key_config’:

keys.c:369: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC knowledge.o

CC langselwin.o

CC lights.o

CC list.o

CC load_gl_extensions.o

CC loginwin.o

CC loading_win.o

CC main.o

CC manufacture.o

CC map.o

CC mapwin.o

CC md5.o

CC mines.o

CC minimap.o

minimap.c: In function ‘load_exploration_map’:

minimap.c:929: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

minimap.c: In function ‘save_exploration_map’:

minimap.c:980: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC misc.o

CC missiles.o

CC multiplayer.o

CC new_actors.o

CC new_character.o

CC notepad.o

CC openingwin.o

CC particles.o

particles.c: In function ‘load_particle_def’:

particles.c:127: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:140: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:141: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:142: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:144: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:145: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:146: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:147: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:149: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:150: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:151: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:152: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:153: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:154: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:155: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:157: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:158: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:159: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:161: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:163: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:164: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:165: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

particles.c:167: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fscanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC paste.o

CC pathfinder.o

CC pm_log.o

CC questlog.o

questlog.c: In function ‘load_questlog’:

questlog.c:48: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

questlog.c: In function ‘add_questlog’:

questlog.c:121: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

questlog.c:122: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC queue.o

CC reflection.o

CC rules.o

CC skeletons.o

CC skills.o

CC serverpopup.o

CC servers.o

servers.c: In function ‘load_server_list’:

servers.c:126: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC session.o

CC shadows.o

CC sound.o

sound.c: In function ‘load_sound_warnings_list’:

sound.c:4351: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC spells.o

spells.c: In function ‘load_quickspells’:

spells.c:805: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

spells.c: In function ‘save_quickspells’:

spells.c:850: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC stats.o

CC storage.o

CC special_effects.o

CC tabs.o

CC text.o

text.c: In function ‘open_chat_log’:

text.c:161: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

text.c: In function ‘timestamp_chat_log’:

text.c:180: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

text.c: In function ‘write_to_log’:

text.c:227: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC textures.o

CC tile_map.o

CC timers.o

CC translate.o

CC trade.o

CC update.o

update.c: In function ‘http_get_file’:

update.c:579: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

update.c:588: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

CC url.o

CC weather.o

CC widgets.o

CC makeargv.o

CC popup.o

CC sky.o

CC text_aliases.o

CC shader/noise.o

CC shader/shader.o

CXX cal3d_wrapper.o

CXX actor_init.o

CXX optimizer.o

CXX sendvideoinfo.o

CXX exceptions/extendedexception.o

CXX xml/xmlhelper.o

CXX io/elfilewrapper.o

CXX io/elfile.o

CXX io/zipfilesystem.o

CXX eye_candy_wrapper.o

CXX eye_candy/eye_candy.o

CXX eye_candy/math_cache.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_lamp.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_candle.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_campfire.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_fountain.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_teleporter.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_firefly.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_sword.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_summon.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_selfmagic.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_targetmagic.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_ongoing.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_impact.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_smoke.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_bag.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_cloud.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_harvesting.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_wind.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_breath.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_glow.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_mines.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_missile.o

CXX eye_candy/orbital_mover.o

CXX eye_candy/kepler_orbit.o

CXX eye_candy/effect_staff.o

CXX context_menu.o

CXX select.o

LINK el.x86.linux.bin

djr@popeye-laptop:~/elc$

:) Game runs fine, don't know why I get the previous error messages when compiling. This is after I do cvs update. :)

CC spells.o

spells.c: In function ‘load_quickspells’:

spells.c:805: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fread’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

spells.c: In function ‘save_quickspells’:

spells.c:850: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fwrite’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

:P Game runs fine, don't know why I get the previous error messages when compiling. This is after I do cvs update. :lurker:

This is due to a recent change of the gcc compiler which is being debated in the gcc bug tracker and on the Ubuntu bug tracker. I guess we ought to fix the warnings but in the mean time, the built client is fine.

djr@popeye-laptop:~/elc$ ./el.x86.linux.bin

el.x86.linux.bin: ../common/dri_bufmgr_fake.c:579: dri_bufmgr_fake_contended_lock_take: Assertion `_fence_test(bufmgr_fake, block->fence)' failed.

Aborted

First time I've seen this one.

djr@popeye-laptop:~/elc$ ./el.x86.linux.bin

el.x86.linux.bin: ../common/dri_bufmgr_fake.c:579: dri_bufmgr_fake_contended_lock_take: Assertion `_fence_test(bufmgr_fake, block->fence)' failed.

Aborted

Is it reproducible? The same error crops up a lot if you search the Internet. There is at lease one Launchpad bug report. Have you had the same error on other applications?

That was the first time I had seen the message. My el screen blacks out sometimes if I'm afk for awhile and doesn't come back unless I reboot. That was before a reboot.

Could you tell me which el.ini I need to edit? I run the cvs client and it's not saving my video view <isometric>. Each time I log in I have to change the view back to isometric. I've checked the data dir and both cvs and main point to /usr/share/games/el. Thanks in advance.

I run the cvs client and it's not saving my video view <isometric>. Each time I log in I have to change the view back to isometric.

That sounds like a permissions problem. It should save the ini settings when the client closes.

I guess another possibility is that the client is crashing before saving the settings, but that should be obvious from the command line.

I've checked the data dir and both cvs and main point to /usr/share/games/el. Thanks in advance.

You checked the "data dir" where? I'm guessing you are talking about the directory of each client (cvs and main), but I could be wrong.

Could you tell me which el.ini I need to edit?

Due to the aforementioned permissions problems, all of the files that are changed by the client (and hence need write permissions) are stored in the "default" settings locations for each operating system. Under Windows this is the Docs and Settings/Users directories and under Linux this is /home/$USER/.elc/

Then, to allow for different set-ups for different servers and potentially different clients and even characters if desired, there is a unique el.ini file under each directory listed in the servers.lst file (defaults being /main/, /test/ and /pk/).

Therefore if you are using Linux and connecting to the main server with a default setup you need to look in /home/$USER/.elc/Main/el.ini

If your settings are not being saved correctly, then I would suggest firstly checking the permissions for that file.

djr@djr-laptop:~/elc$ ./el.x86.linux.bin

Failed to initialize GEM. Falling back to classic.

New install 9.04 Ubuntu. I'm using xorg-intel 2.4. Had to turn on mouse bug in the options. Game seems to play ok so far. Didn't know if there was something I could change in the make.defaults.

Hi, it's me again. New install of Karmic.

CC 2d_objects.o

In file included from 2d_objects.c:10:

load_gl_extensions.h:69: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglClientActiveTexture’

load_gl_extensions.h:77: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglLoadTransposeMatrixd’

load_gl_extensions.h:78: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglLoadTransposeMatrixf’

load_gl_extensions.h:79: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultTransposeMatrixd’

load_gl_extensions.h:80: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultTransposeMatrixf’

load_gl_extensions.h:81: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1d’

load_gl_extensions.h:82: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1dv’

load_gl_extensions.h:83: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1f’

load_gl_extensions.h:84: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1fv’

load_gl_extensions.h:85: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1i’

load_gl_extensions.h:86: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1iv’

load_gl_extensions.h:87: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1s’

load_gl_extensions.h:88: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord1sv’

load_gl_extensions.h:89: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2d’

load_gl_extensions.h:90: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2dv’

load_gl_extensions.h:91: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2f’

load_gl_extensions.h:92: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2fv’

load_gl_extensions.h:93: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2i’

load_gl_extensions.h:94: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2iv’

load_gl_extensions.h:95: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2s’

load_gl_extensions.h:96: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord2sv’

load_gl_extensions.h:97: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3d’

load_gl_extensions.h:98: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3dv’

load_gl_extensions.h:99: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3f’

load_gl_extensions.h:100: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3fv’

load_gl_extensions.h:101: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3i’

load_gl_extensions.h:102: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3iv’

load_gl_extensions.h:103: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3s’

load_gl_extensions.h:104: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord3sv’

load_gl_extensions.h:105: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4d’

load_gl_extensions.h:106: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4dv’

load_gl_extensions.h:107: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4f’

load_gl_extensions.h:108: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4fv’

load_gl_extensions.h:109: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4i’

load_gl_extensions.h:110: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4iv’

load_gl_extensions.h:111: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4s’

load_gl_extensions.h:112: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglMultiTexCoord4sv’

make: *** [2d_objects.o] Error 1

Hi, it's me again. New install of Karmic.

CC 2d_objects.o

In file included from 2d_objects.c:10:

load_gl_extensions.h:69: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ELglClientActiveTexture’

make: *** [2d_objects.o] Error 1

I replied to the other CVS error thread but for completeness...

Have a look on the here.

I'm still hoping for a better solution...