Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
2pac

A field for low lvlpkers

Have a map like kf for lower pkers with lower a/d with only people under 50/50 to attack?

Instead of all the lower a/d pkers going to arenas all the time they have a chance to go into

a map w/o the high lvl pkers there.

maybe make it multi too? Oo

low lvl a/d pkers would like that. :wacko:

Edited by xleminemxl

Instead of all the lower a/d pkers going to arenas all the time
This is DP arena w/o the multi...

Eh??

Instead of all the lower a/d pkers going to arenas all the time they have a chance to go into a big field w/o the high lvl pkers there.

Why?? What do you need a field for?

Please explain the benefits. (Other than "we would love that"... who is "we" anyway?)

By "field" I think he means a map. I think it's a great idea.

Yes, I am aware of that.

My point is simply it is understandable (and roleplayingly* feasible) to have an arena set up somewhere with restrictions on who is allowed in. However, why should there be restrictions on complete maps?

Moreover, Ent has already pointed out that he does not want to limit certain maps to anyone. Take guild maps for instance, guild maps are free for anyone to visit. He has provided methods for guilds to try to stop people (guard bots), but if you can get past the bot then you have free range over "their" map. There is no hard limitation on maps. I don't see any reason for this to change.

* Yes, I did just make up a word. Deal.

The other approach is to limit who you can initiate an attack against in an area, by comparing levels.

For example, define a "Law Level" for an area. Then you can only initiate an attack against someone whose "Defence + Law Level" is greater than your "Attack". In this case, the "Law Level" is serving to protect the weak from being attacked by the strong. Of course, once attacked the target is free to fight back.

This could be used to remove the distinction between PK and non-PK areas; PK areas become areas of negative Law Level, and non-PK areas are areas of high Law. The "PK-danger" is then graduated; towns and cities are well policed, as are the main roads, but stray into the woods and wilderness and things get more dangerous.

A possible downside (depending on how you look at it) is that newbies may "accidentally" attack a very-high-level character, which would be a brief encounter... Well, they will quickly learn.

Note: Similar tests would be required for summoning and magic attacks. For example:

• For Summoning: Summoning level must be less than target's Defense + Law. There may be some adjustment here to account for differences in level ranges for Summoning and Defense.

• For Magic: Magic level must be less than target's ??? + Law. Whats appropriate here?

Then the victim is entitled to retaliate against you? How is this represented? For a character who has initiated an attack then they are in some way outlaw for some period.

So, assigned characters an "Outlaw" level. This reduces the effective Law level when they are targetted for attack. If they initiate an attack, their Outlaw level is increased temporarily, decreasing back to its base value at 1 point per minute, as with other "blessed" attributes and skills.

PK'able characters then have their base "Outlaw" level increased for the duration of the punishment.

There is also scope to play with other attributes, factor in:

• Karma -- Depends on implementation.

• Charm -- A target's charm adds to the effective Law Level.

Addendum 2008-05-19 -- Since I've referenced this post from a current thread:

Basically, to initiate combat against a target, the following must be true:

your
attack
is
less than
the target's
defence
plus
modifier

Furthermore, a "dummy" attack roll is then made between you and the target, which must succeed for combat to be initiated. This protects newbies from accidentally initiating combat with stupidly superior opponents.

modifier can be positive or negative, and may be determined by a number of components and aspects of the target:

• law level of the area. Current PK & non-PK areas would have strong values, say -100 and +100 respectively. Otherwise, closer to civilisation, the higher the law level, and the more wild the lower. law level should, for the most, vary gradually across a map to reflect the nature of the areas -- stay on the path and you will be safe!
  • equipment modifiers reflect how "up for a fight" you look. If you wander around the streets in full dragon plate and carrying a huge flaming sword, then you are more of a legitimate target than a monk in a robe. This also adds a role playing incentive to put away your weapons and dress appropriately when in civilisation.
  • outlaw level as mentioned above appears as another character property or attribute, but is not increased (or decreased) by experience or pick points, but by other means (to be determined, but possibly linked to karma). Like an attribute, outlaw level has a base value, and a current (applicable) value which drifts back towards the base at 1 point/minute.

outlaw level can be temporarily adjusted by a number of events:

• Initiating a combat adds something (say +10).
    • Rogue- or thief-like activities, if they become available.

Note that your current outlaw level shouldn't be detectable by other players.

• area effects if they become available. For example, if you are in range of a Guard then this effectively increases the law level. There could also be area effect spells which cause calm or rage, and an area undergoing an invasion must have a decreased law level.
  • politics can give you casus belli, which can be guild or deity based; intra-guild relationship could add a modifier, as could ranks in opposing temples.

Note that all these modifiers apply with respect to the target. This is deliberate; it would be to easy to exploit a system in which the attacker could increase their opportunity to start a fight!

Similar mechanisms could be applied to other PvP activities; attacking with summons, hostile magic, and now ranged attacks. I think that the modifiers above are generic enough to still apply to these other forms of interaction, though with different sets of skill & attributes being contested.

trollson - 2008-05-19

Edited by trollson

This could be used to remove the distinction between PK and non-PK areas; PK areas become areas of negative Law Level, and non-PK areas are areas of high Law. The "PK-danger" is then graduated; towns and cities are well policed, as are the main roads, but stray into the woods and wilderness and things get more dangerous.

Wow, now that is a good idea. I wonder how hard that would be to code server-side.

A possible downside (depending on how you look at it) is that newbies may "accidentally" attack a very-high-level character, which would be a brief encounter... Well, they will quickly learn.

Hehehe, indeed. You can't protect them from everything.

That said, it would need to be explained a little before they left IP. Possibly as another of the yellow messages you get when you are lower than level 9 (or whatever level).

Something like:

There are area's of lawlessness in these lands. For your own safety attempt to stay close to populated areas and travel on roads between towns.

In my opinion, space should not be dedicated too much to people who are lower lvled (in terms of a/d). The point of it is to lvl up and get to the next step and I feel that a field like the one you suggest is making the a/d stage a player would be at seem more permanent. Also, players would lvl more slowly if they become too attached to the field which is happenning to many players at dp arena. Players should be inticed to get to higher lvls, and not inticed to stay at the same lvl they are.

my opinion is GO FOR IT!!!! this idea rocks!

trollson has a good plan for it to :P

Law level is a GREAT idea :evilgrin:

Of course, it should never replace non-pk maps and P/C compensates for lack of A/D... but still.

Edited by sithicus

Might want to modify the mapwalking code then to make it an option to walk or not walk through PK-able areas. Otherwise people will have to micromanage every little trip so as to not wander into PK-land...

Could do a way-point route planning approach -- almost a line-drawing method of shift-click to record the next waypoint, and click to mark the final destination and off you go.

This would be useful now, as I'm finding the client pathfinder makes some terrible decisions when in a complex area.