Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

Harvestable popup boxes

I think this'll help both newbies and people who are somehow as coloblind/color deficient as I am with harvesting

The idea is this: When you have the pickaxe cursor, a small semitransparent box appears to the right of the cursor saying what the harvestable is, and maybe if you can't harvest it, the lettering would be red and in parenthesis (You need X nexus to harvest this!)

This could also be applied to the see button by having a box saying what you currently have highlighted.

It sounds good, but it's not as simple as it could be. In most cases the 3d item (what you see) matches with what you would harvest, but not always. So the client can't do that alone. The client also doesn't have any info about requirements.

That means the server needs to send the data; which means if you send the mouse over a bunch of harvestables, it'll be sending a large number of "get harvest info" messages.

I think the best option is to have the server/mapmaker people ensure all item types have descriptions (even if it's not the resource name, "red/purple flower" is going to give a decent hint if it matches info in the encyc), so eye-click is always an option... And for people to use #mark ingame to know where to dig stuff :pinch:

It sounds good, but it's not as simple as it could be. In most cases the 3d item (what you see) matches with what you would harvest, but not always. So the client can't do that alone. The client also doesn't have any info about requirements.

That means the server needs to send the data; which means if you send the mouse over a bunch of harvestables, it'll be sending a large number of "get harvest info" messages.

I think the best option is to have the server/mapmaker people ensure all item types have descriptions (even if it's not the resource name, "red/purple flower" is going to give a decent hint if it matches info in the encyc), so eye-click is always an option... And for people to use #mark ingame to know where to dig stuff :confused:

I'm thinking for the new guys a bit though, a friend of mine started playing the game and they had some issues figuring what flowers were (they're red-green colorblind whaddya know?)

What you could do for obtaining the info is a hard copy of the stats onto the player's computer, thus making it so you don't have to get the info over the net but instead directly off the player's computer.