Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ttlanhil

Sound in Windows 95/98/ME

There have been a number of problems with sound not working with the new client under Win ME (and hence I assume it'll also apply to 95/98)

So first off, is there anyone who uses one of the above, and does have sound working?

if so, which one, and do you compile yourself or use ent's build?

please only one answer per combination. if someone else already said they have ME, for example, and use ent's build, and you do too, don't post.

if, however, you have 98 and ME was answered, then post. I need one for each windows version and ent's/own compile

secondly, I need someone who uses win 95/98/me to compile and run this code:

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(){
OSVERSIONINFO osvi;
memset(&osvi, 0, sizeof(OSVERSIONINFO));
osvi.dwOSVersionInfoSize = sizeof(OSVERSIONINFO);
GetVersionEx(&osvi);

if(osvi.dwPlatformId == VER_PLATFORM_WIN32_WINDOWS){
	printf("Win9x\n");
} else {
	printf("WinNT\n");
}
return 0;
}

and let me know if it prints Win9x as it should

if sound is broken for all Win9x users, then I plan to disable it (at least by default) on that platform

The problem is that other OSes (such as XP) have this problem too. My guess is that it's either a bug in OpenAL, or some faulty hardware/bad drivers combination.

ahh. darn. so maybe we need to start telling people to update their audio drivers too? :)

still, it seems to be a problem with a number of WinME users... if it's a problem for all of them, then disabling sound for them may be the easiest way to get a number of people back until they toss that junk

Yes, that's why I tell people that have problems that they should update their DX as well.

There are many sound cards that have problems without the updated drivers. For example, I have a laptop that, out of the box, used to crash Skype (and itself). Once I updated the sound drivers, it was OK.